Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 08:14   #1

Dominican Republic suggestions?

My wife and I plan to sail from Bonaire to the Dominican Republic and then on to the T&Cs and Bahamas before heading back to the US in May. We `d like to see some interesting sites and places in the DR as we sail some of the south coast and then around up through the Mona Passage. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to stay/visit along that path in the DR? We would spend less than 2 weeks making that part of the trip and would like hear any insights as to easy safe places to stop and sites to see.

Thanks in advance.
Carl
crich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:26   #2

Re: Dominican Republic suggestions?

The water Park outside of Samana is fantastic. I forget what it's called. Then work around to Luperon and your 2 weeks will be done quickly. We stayed 6 weeks in Luperon alone.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:08   #3

Boat: Island Packet 370

We just left the Dominican after about 3 weeks in 2 locations. We arrived in Luperon from Mayaguana Bahamas. We read a lot of bad press about Luperon but we have nothing but good to say about Luperon. There is a man named Papo who has mooring balls for $2.00/night and will deliver water, fuel or anything else you need. We arranged a van and driver to go to the 27 waterfalls which was a great way to spend half a day. We then went up the gondola at Puerto Plata for a great view and nice walk. We ate at street vendors while there and enjoyed the local food and culture. We wandered the streets in the day and night and never felt uneasy in the town. We then travelled to Samana Bay and stayed in the marina for a week for a change. We rented a car and toured around visiting beaches and the nearby town. The marina was reasonably priced and the staff was very helpful. There is a national park across from the marina which is supposed to be a great place to anchor and explore but we missed it as we got a weather window to move to Puerto Rico. Hope you enjoy your time in the Dominican.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 20:46   #4

my answer comes too late for you crich but it might help someone else.

if you give the local community a little bit then they welcome you.
there is not much work in luperon and the people are poor but have children to feed.
If papo get's his 2$ and you purchase some fuel from him then he will take care of you.
If you say no to everything that the locals offer you then they will be sad and wonder why you don't let them earn 4$ on the fuel. you have to buy fuel somewhere and surely you didn't come in with your tanks full.

you can dock stern to in the marina in luperon which has a lift.
puerto plata has the yacht marina and the commercial port.
samana bay has the marina bahia ... and beautiful anchorage.
sabana de la mar has a lot of local boat captains that take you into the mangroves and caves.
and you can see some remains of the scottish fruit-railroad track that went from there to puerto plata.
do not go with the guys waiting at the dock for you that speak englisch. they want 50$ per person.
(+1)8097858562is the number of one captain there directly (only spanish or possible whatsapp with translator). I forgot his name though. It should be 30$ or less per person from what I remember.
again, if you do a trip with him at the arrival then the village knows who is anchored there and they could supply their family with a hot meal or two and they will look after you.

in samana bay you have the whales in february or march giving birth to their babies.
there is loadssssss!!!
be very aware of the local law that they have recenty passed. all the wannabe captains ( locals) have to go to take classes and instructions about how to aproach the whales and get licensed "whale-skippers". They might confiscate your boat if you go to close or don't have this license. stay far away from whales and get a proper tour on a boat.

cap cana is a marina.

in santo domingo you can stay at the yacht port, or the terminal of the caribbean fantasy.

boca chica has a marina

la romana the cruise ship terminal. not sure if that is private or not.

casa de campo marina.

boca de yuma is a beautiful spot for anchorage. you can go up there the river a little bit.
There is 10 meter high walls around you and you can survive any hurricane.

west of saona toward la romana is beautiful for anchoring, super shallow.

there is another commercial port in haina

the lagoon of bani has a marina

pedernales has one of the most stunning anchorages in the entire world.
and there is absolutely nobody!

It's a spanish speaking island, be suspicious if someone speaks english to you on the street.
huramentzefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 03:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 7.0 ~ by Frank Virgintino
http://freecruisingguides.com/sites/...puplic_7.0.pdf

More Free Cruising Guides by Frank Virgintino
We make cruising the Caribbean possible! | Free Cruising Guides

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags