Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59   #1

California to Hawaii in Spring - paid captain, volunteer crew

S/V Golden Rule, a project of Veterans For Peace, needs a captain/skipper who can prepare the boat and crew, then skipper the gaffe-rigged ketch to and around Hawaii in the spring of 2019. We need a very experienced sailor who has crossed oceans, directed crew and is aligned with the Veterans For Peace Golden Rule Project’s mission. We “Sail for a Nuclear-Free World and a Peaceful, Sustainable Future”.

There is a possibility of continuing on a longer voyage to the Marshall Islands, Guam, Okinawa, Korea and Japan (August 2020 is 75 years since the US hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki with nuclear bombs). In spring and summer of 2021 we plan to return to the US.

The Golden Rule is currently docked at the Cabrillo Isle Marina in San Diego.

The work:
Assure that all aspects of the boat and equipment are adequate for a voyage across the Pacific Ocean by March 1, 2019. The boat is basically ready to go, but there are a few things that we would like to improve before embarking on the voyage. There are volunteers available to help.

Screen and select crew for the voyage. Applications for crew that we have already received will be provided as a starting point.

Skipper to Hawaii, which will take 3 to 4 weeks, then if mutually agreeable, skipper around the Hawaiian Islands and maybe beyond.

Qualifications:
Experience with cross-ocean sailing
Experience with wooden boats, preferably gaffe-rigged ketches
Experience directing and training crew
License not required but is preferred
Crew application form: http://www.vfpgoldenrule.org/crew-application

Background:
In 1958 four Quaker peace activists tried to sail the Golden Rule to the Marshall Islands to interfere with nuclear bomb tests. This action helped spur the movement that resulted in the Limited Test Ban Treaty in 1963 and helped spawn Greenpeace.

Veterans For Peace, Quakers and others rebuilt her from 2010 to 2015. For over 3 years we have sailed her along the west coast, where we speak with activists and the public about nuclear issues today. We have had well over 100 speaking engagements, been in four wooden boat shows and taken people sailing dozens of times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sara Golden Rule in front of 2 war ships Small.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	183119  
Helenjaccard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 09:03   #2

Boat: Tartan 33
Re: California to Hawaii in Spring - paid captain, volunteer crew

I was wondering if you are still around. I am not a captain, but I can crew and I am a veteran myself.
sailinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 12:25   #3

Hi SailingLife,

We are in San Diego and hope to gather crew approx June 15 for a July 1 departure to Hilo, HI. We are seeking one more crew member. We need someone strong who is also a fairly experienced sailor.

You can fill out a crew application form at vfpgoldenrule.org/crew-application or email me at vfpgoldenruleproject@gmail.com or phone me at 206.992.6364.

We would love to have another veteran aboard, as this is a project of Veterans For Peace.

Thanks for contacting us!
Helen
Helenjaccard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

What a great mission, sorry I’m seeing this so late but wondering if your still in the pacific?
Swimmingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23   #5

I filled out the application and hope to hear back. What a great journey!
PvilleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 10:56   #6

Hello:

My name is Captain Mark D. Fife. I’m a USCG 100 ton master with sailing and towing endorsements. In addition, I have STCW95, Advanced First Aid/CPR/AED, Fire fighting, leadership /management, survival, Unlimited Radar, and ECDIS endorsements. I just completed my ninth Pacific crossing. My longest Pacific crossing was from Panama to Maui this year.

If you are interested in having and paying for a skilled Captain, please feel free to contact me at (619) 905-1967
Markfife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, captain, crew, hawaii