Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 07:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Choosing between beneteau and dufour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWB View Post

Dufour is an independent company, not part of Beneteau.
Apologies.. it was Jeaneau and Wauquiez who joined the Beneteau Group..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:29   #17

Re: Choosing between beneteau and dufour

And even that marriage is now over Boatie
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:24   #18

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
FFS Replies like these are the type that drive people away from this forum.

The OP is asking for personal opinions about two specific boats and wants to know if it is from personal experience or not.

Why should they have to supply their life story?

I'm sure that even the most experienced sailors here are not psychic and need to ask others about boats that they have not seen in person or have sailed on.

Well said! As someone who has only been into sailing for a couple years now, I get so tired of seeing the first type of reply in this thread. Yes, some people expect others to do all their research for them. But this person asked for an opinion on two specific boats, a simple enough question.
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:26   #19

opinions are like butt holes.... everyone has one...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:29   #20

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
opinions are like butt holes.... everyone has one...
So true. And when people take a simple question and use it to get on their soap box, "I consider it little more than spam" and try to move on.
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50   #21

I am on my 8th boat and I must say the Beneteau is by far my favorite. It has been south 3 times and has rode out Hurricane Earl. This boat handles very well. I would recommend the Beneteau brand by a long shot.
Dianeboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailer1546 View Post
Hello! I'm new in this forum and i could use some help on buying a boat in about 45 foot size range. I'm sailing in Scandinavian/Baltic seas. After some research i've got two boats dufour 460 GL and beneteau oceanis 48.
I've heard that dufour should have better build quality, but beneteau is roomier inside and again dufour should have better perfomance.

Have you had any experience with these boats? Is either one better or worse/higher or lower quality? What are good aspects of each boat?

Thanks for your time

As an retirer boatbuilder my choice was also Dufour, so my choice was an Dufour 455 Grand Large with extra High mast, and so far I have not foundation anything to claime, but am guide surpriced of quality and sailing abilities. However, I do also have respekt for Beneteau today!
Erik Andreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:32   #23

Boat: GibSea 472

Bénéteau are very nice boats for the price, and the design, details, hardware are first class. But they also suffer from price cutting where you don't see it: keel-hull, deck hull glued and riveted... Some have lost their keel in blows offshore.
Dufour, as far as I know is an upscale French builder to start with, and was bought by Cantieri del Pardo, the famous builders of Grand Soleil Italian boat, of outstanding quality. That transfered the structural quality of their boats that compete against Swan or Xboat fame. So in my opinion, Dufour make much better sailboats, faster, well constructed, solid, and high quality durable boats.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:39   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

It's been a few years but we evaluated both thinking of acquiring a dealership and found the Dufour slightly superior. Have had a couple of Beneteau's which served us well overall. Had experience with a much older Beneteau and, must say, the quality was far superior to the new ones. Not a fan of glass boats myself but each to his own. Main thing is to bring in expert advice and look the boat over closely. New doesn't mean without flaws.
Good luck.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:45   #25

Boat: Caliber 47

I'm sitting here wondering if the original poster perhaps is doing other research and this board is just part of that process. To ridicule someone without barely knowing the facts is just plain rude!
But having said that I find many boards like this have many rude folks and many knowegable people as well. Guess you need to just roll with it!

Greg
SVTi Amo
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:11   #26

Would also consider Jeanneau.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:58   #27

This is an excellent forum, occasionally spoilt by a few 'experts'.

The guy said he was new to the forum, not to sailing, and asked for opinions about two similar boats.

Something wrong with that?
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:17   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
FFS Replies like these are the type that drive people away from this forum.

The OP is asking for personal opinions about two specific boats and wants to know if it is from personal experience or not.

Why should they have to supply their life story?

I'm sure that even the most experienced sailors here are not psychic and need to ask others about boats that they have not seen in person or have sailed on.

Bang your head all you like. But before concluding that your rant is cooler than never again having to pay taxes, perhaps you'll semi-objectively read what follows???

Assuming for a moment that neither I nor anyone else who's stepping up to attempt to help the OP find a boat IS NOT in point of fact A Psychic. Then knowing something about the OP, their proposed sailing agenda, sailing skills, situation, etc. is MORE Than Reasonable to ask.
It really, really helps to know situation specific info, otherwise both parties are burning time they'll never get back, often with little to show for it later in terms of results. Non?

Which, is why I put the link in my post that I did. It's to a frickin boat buying how-to sticky. Complete with legitimate, full on, professional boatbuying thoughts, questions, self-assessments, & candidate boats lists.
Though in order to know this about said resource (link), one actually needs to look at it. And perhaps even use some of the links & info therein. Well, if schooling one's self on boats & sailing isn't too objectionabe, a rediculously onerous effort, & or, anti-PC.

I don't know, perhaps asking people to engage in a little common sense self help is too much? :Nonono: Though maybe not, otherwise the Cruisers Forum Search Function(S), Google, Bing, Yahoo, & 1,001+ other search engines wouldn't ever have been created. But that's just my $0.02

PS: If my thoughts are so objectionable, don't read'em

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:21   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Would also consider Jeanneau.
+!

I have seen some Jeanneaus that were somewhat better put together than some Dufours and Bennes. Maybe their QC team is stronger or maybe their boatyard is in a place where some remnants of professional boat builders linger.

This much said, Benne, Dufour, Jeanneau or Bava (and the list goes on) are just different names on the same product. Buy the one that you actually like, for their quality is the same tier.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 15:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+!

I have seen some Jeanneaus that were somewhat better put together than some Dufours and Bennes. Maybe their QC team is stronger or maybe their boatyard is in a place where some remnants of professional boat builders linger.

This much said, Benne, Dufour, Jeanneau or Bava (and the list goes on) are just different names on the same product. Buy the one that you actually like, for their quality is the same tier.

b.
Pretty much true but noticed detail of Dufours better than Benne. Think Jeaneau better than either but only my opinion. We tried to vet as well as we could including visiting the boatyards in France. None built as solidly as some like Southern Cross.

Tags
beneteau, Dufour, dufour