Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 08:58   #31

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Stolen Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani Jnana View Post
PIRATES IN FLORIDA !!!!

If this had happened in another part of the world where "piracy" is "common," the whole sailing community would've been up in arms about PIRATES.

Am I wrong?
You are wrong, it was theft not piracy.

Theft or larceny is the unlawful taking of another's property with intent to permanently deprive the lawful owner of the property.

Robbery is theft directly from the person or persons with violence or the threat of violence.

Piracy involves robbery while underway.

People in general understand that theft with violence or threat of violence is a more serious crime than simple theft.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:03   #32

Boat: 26' O Day 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If it was broken into, that is even more strange. I had assumed some moron was walking by and saw the keys hanging into the ignition.
Stealing a sailboat is odd, I have to think someone had it out for him? Hopefully the cops are going to find the person.
Near Smack Bayou is outside of swimming distance from land too, how did the thief get ashore?
I had never heard of one being stolen until now. Some Charter boat fishermen in the marina said that a thief could still more items from a sailboat that one of their power boats. I know the thief didn't try to swim a way with the outboard motor taken from the stern rail. The inflatable dingy was not ever on the boat, it was stored at the dock. I was thinking he probably anchored close to shore or at a dock. Then removed all items he wanted to steal. Afterward leaving the boat adrift. Maybe he had an accomplice?
Old 16-03-2017, 04:31   #33

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's a little more info on that theft. The link will show you a mugshot of the perp. I couldn't get it to paste into CF.

BCSO: Suspect Stole $100,000 Sailboat - Story | MyPanhandle

BCSO: Suspect Stole $100,000 Sailboat

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. - For the first time in recent memory a local criminal may have claim to being a pirate.
The Bay County Sheriff's deputies say 38-year-old Bryon Massey stole a $100,000 sailboat from a marina on Panama City Beach.

The alleged buccaneering happened on February 2 and was reported on February 3 when the owner of the sailboat reported boat had been stolen from his boat slip the night before. Witnesses reported seeing Massey and vehicle not know to the other boat owners that was registered to Massey was spotted at the marina.
The stolen sailboat and any booty inside was recovered abandoned in a bayou in St. Andrew Bay. The sailboat was returned to the victim after being processed for evidence, officials wrote.

As the investigation into the stolen sailboat continued deputies arrested Massey on February 8 on a warrant out of Leon County. Massey was transported to the Leon County Jail.
Bay investigators later interviewed Massey in Leon County and after that interview was concluded they charged him with grand theft.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 04:41   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Here's a little more info on that theft. The link will show you a mugshot of the perp. I couldn't get it to paste into CF.

BCSO: Suspect Stole $100,000 Sailboat - Story | MyPanhandle
Here:

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:07   #35

Boat: 26' O Day 1985

Thanks Gordmay and Cormorant for the additional info. I just found it myself yesterday. I did'nt like the journalist's tone about the suspect possibly being considered a Pirate or the Booty found inside the boat. This individual didn't rank high enough to be a Pirate. He ran the boat aground, vandalized the inside and outside of it. Gave up trying to sand off the name of the vessel, too much work I guess. He stole the dingy outboard motor off the stern rail.
The journalist was just trying to be funny I guess. I was too close to the boat for it to be funny. The piece of Love and Life that was stolen from the Captain will never be made right.
Old 25-04-2017, 08:14   #36

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Bryon Massey...Must be a latino from Columbia...
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 14:24   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Google for Massey criminals returns three criminals all of them US. None Colombian.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 14:50   #38

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

lol,
It was a play on words of a mistake often made where when meaning to say Colombia some say Columbia, S.C. Which happens to be the more probable origin of Mr. Massey, instead of the earlier suggested Latino background.
Thus the smilie
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, Stolen