Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 08:30   #1

Shaun & Julia Sailing... What happened?

Does anybody know what happened to the youtube channel "Shaun & Julia Sailing"? Their channel got deactivated, no activity on FB for over half a year, their domain is no longer registered etc... Are they ok?
cordvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 08:48   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Shaun & Julia Sailing... What happened?

What about their AIS?

What is the boat name?

I noticed all their reports stopped about 6 months ago.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 08:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What about their AIS?

What is the boat name?

I noticed all their reports stopped about 6 months ago.

barnakiel
Name of the boat is Nemea (I believe it is a Tartan 37)
Old 28-06-2020, 08:50   #4

Have you emailed them already?

b.
Old 28-06-2020, 08:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Have you emailed them already?

b.
I haven't. Their email probably won't work either because their domain expired. AIS is out of range: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...0/vessel:NEMEA

I just though maybe somebody here knows about it....
Old 28-06-2020, 08:55   #6

Their domain is on sale.

b.
Old 28-06-2020, 09:03   #7

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...0/vessel:NEMEA

I tried to find their email but since they were so big on marketing everything is Insta fb etc yet no email.

Insta returns nothing and some equally worried requests.

However, there seem to be some very brief responses promising 'updates soon'. Yet, 6 months later nothing new appears.

Since they had so many followers, I assume somebody knows the rest of the story.

b.
Old 28-06-2020, 09:07   #8

I also tried posting the the link to the AIS info, but it is "awaiting moderation"... probably because my account is new.
I thought that there's a good chance that somebody here would know something. I briefly emailed with them about joining them on a crossing. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it as another project came in-between. I assume that their crossing was successful because their last post is from the end of December.
Old 28-06-2020, 09:32   #9

Because I know of another odd disappearance, I posted another thread here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...80#post3173980

perhaps somebody knows that story. Hope they are all fine but it is indeed very odd how suddenly people and boats disappear.

barnakiel
Old 28-06-2020, 18:31   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Six months ago it was just the very early discovery of the Covid19 pandemic. I would think that intelligent cruisers would be tucked down, minimizing contact with strangers as much as possible, and observing social distancing.

That is something that it is hard to make an interesting blog about. Maybe they've decided to do something else for a while. No reason to assume something extra terrible has happened, though, as there are a zillion possible explanations, including just wanting some privacy following a lot of exposure.

Ann
Old 28-06-2020, 18:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Six months ago it was just the very early discovery of the Covid19 pandemic. I would think that intelligent cruisers would be tucked down, minimizing contact with strangers as much as possible, and observing social distancing.

That is something that it is hard to make an interesting blog about. Maybe they've decided to do something else for a while. No reason to assume something extra terrible has happened, though, as there are a zillion possible explanations, including just wanting some privacy following a lot of exposure.

Ann
I'm not assuming something terrible happened. However it is odd that they just abandoned everything if you consider that they spent a ton of time/effort to create a successful youtube channel with tens of thousands of subscribers and millions of views. They even gave up their domain which you can't just easily reactivate. Covid-19 is not a good explanation for that.
Old 28-06-2020, 18:59   #12

Hello, new member here. I noticed a few months ago a Tartan 37 “Nemea” for sale in Florida. The add was in Yachtworld. Assume it’s their vessel.
Karimbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

Ann,

I am not clear here.

Are you saying it is normal to be hyper-active on all social media canals, collect kickstarter money and promise things to people and then disappear from the radar like a finger-snap?

Or are you saying that Covid stopped anybody from using social media? Well, I always imagined Instagram was a smartphone App. And I have not heard of mobile networks getting switched off during Covid.

Neither is, imho, normal to see the last AIS breadcrumb of a boat some distance offshore. The AIS clearly stopped functioning, switched off by the owners, or the boat sank.(See my other thread on German sailor Jonna in another thread).

As we have no reason to assume the boat sank, we would expect some kind of follow up from people who made much ado about their (mostly planned, less so effected) round the world adventure.

Perhaps they got sick, perhaps they got pregnant, perhaps disillusioned with what sailing is as compared to talking about sailing. Cool. No objections in any case and plenty of support granted.

Just that disappearing like 'that' is not what OP is comfortable with. And neither am I.

One line on Instagram would explain everything. Just that this one line is not there (nor on any other of their endless list of channels, vlogs, blogs or websites).

Regards,
barnakiel
Old 29-06-2020, 11:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karimbel View Post
Hello, new member here. I noticed a few months ago a Tartan 37 “Nemea” for sale in Florida. The add was in Yachtworld. Assume it’s their vessel.

Google still returns her images from cache. But I cannot read the dates from cache.

Can anybody google up these images and tell us when these were posted maybe?

So the boat is either sold or else withdrawn from sale (???)

barnakiel
Old 29-06-2020, 11:21   #15

I just want to make something clear: I just got a little worried when I checked their youtube channel yesterday (haven't checked it for almost a year) and realized that their entire online presence is gone. It's just unusual for somebody to disappear like that, especially considering that their social media presence was basically their business. People usually don't just disappear with no trace and leave their job behind unless something bad happened.
It's not that I think they owe anybody anything, they might have a good reason to keep it all private.

Tags
sail, sailing