Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 22:26   #1

Location: Port Stephens, NSW, Australia, now circumnavigating Australia since Jan 2022
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42, now Clem Masters 55ft Bridge Deck Cruiser (trawler) since Oct 2020.
New Australian user G’day

This is my first post and my introduction. I have been reading this forum for about 18 months and have found it tremendously helpful and often amusing. I have observed that the cost of things is often omitted so have included the big ticket item costs of our adventure so far for those who may be interested. My wife and I were not really interested in sailing or cruising until we found ourselves retired after long, busy careers and then thought, “What now”. The answer “Let’s go sailing”. So last year we did a half day ‘trysail’, then a week long live aboard ‘competent crew’ course. We then brought a cheap runabout to do some self navigation training on Port Stephens and after six months sold the runabout and started looking for our “first real boat”. It was surprisingly easy. We hit the internet, discussed budget, needs and wants. Decided to keep 20% of budget in reserve for post purchase work, looked at a dozen boats and made an offer ($88k Aust) on a well used but solid 1994, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.1. We purchased in Sydney and swung at a mooring for several weeks while we had a full engine service and groom, alternator, fuel filter assembly and exhaust elbow replacement ($5,405 ). We also replaced all standing rigging and 50% of running rigging ($9,774) Finally we purchased a tender and motor ($4,000 ). All covers needed replacing so we did that and added full cockpit screening for $4,025. We then hired an experienced delivery skipper to take us home to port Stephens while giving us a day long sailing lesson on our own boat. We then both did a week long live aboard ‘Day Skipper’ course and have been sailing well, but slowly ever since. Our plan was to cruise the east Australian coast to see if we keep loving the boat and the life and then to decide “what next”. In preparation, last month, we hauled out, antifouled and applied prop speed ($3,494)....and then along came a virus named ‘rona’! We still hope to be able to cruise the NSW coast from the end of this month. Until then we will just keep learning knowing that for a total outlay of $110,673 we have a solid, safe and easily managed 42ft cruiser ready to go. PS The boat came to us named ‘Light Spirit’ but was previously named ‘Southpaw’. If anyone knows anything about her history we would be glad to hear about it.
Old 09-05-2020, 22:31   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: New Australian user G’day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwayslearning View Post
This is my first post and my introduction. I have been reading this forum for about 18 months and have found it tremendously helpful and often amusing. I have observed that the cost of things is often omitted so have included the big ticket item costs of our adventure so far for those who may be interested. My wife and I were not really interested in sailing or cruising until we found ourselves retired after long, busy careers and then thought, “What now”. The answer “Let’s go sailing”. So last year we did a half day ‘trysail’, then a week long live aboard ‘competent crew’ course. We then brought a cheap runabout to do some self navigation training on Port Stephens and after six months sold the runabout and started looking for our “first real boat”. It was surprisingly easy. We hit the internet, discussed budget, needs and wants. Decided to keep 20% of budget in reserve for post purchase work, looked at a dozen boats and made an offer ($88k Aust) on a well used but solid 1994, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.1. We purchased in Sydney and swung at a mooring for several weeks while we had a full engine service and groom, alternator, fuel filter assembly and exhaust elbow replacement ($5,405 ). We also replaced all standing rigging and 50% of running rigging ($9,774) Finally we purchased a tender and motor ($4,000 ). All covers needed replacing so we did that and added full cockpit screening for $4,025. We then hired an experienced delivery skipper to take us home to port Stephens while giving us a day long sailing lesson on our own boat. We then both did a week long live aboard ‘Day Skipper’ course and have been sailing well, but slowly ever since. Our plan was to cruise the east Australian coast to see if we keep loving the boat and the life and then to decide “what next”. In preparation, last month, we hauled out, antifouled and applied prop speed ($3,494)....and then along came a virus named ‘rona’! We still hope to be able to cruise the NSW coast from the end of this month. Until then we will just keep learning knowing that for a total outlay of $110,673 we have a solid, safe and easily managed 42ft cruiser ready to go. PS The boat came to us named ‘Light Spirit’ but was previously named ‘Southpaw’. If anyone knows anything about her history we would be glad to hear about it.

Lindsay,welcome from a Sydney sider. Enjoy all that the forum has to offer, the good,the bad and the ugly.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 22:33   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'day Lindsay and welcome to CF. Sounds like a textbook beginning for your cruising life, all except for the viral part, and we hope that the situation clears up enough for you to get going up north asap.

If we ever escape Tassie again and get to warmer climes we'll keep an eye out for you.

Enjoy the life... we do!

Jim
Old 10-05-2020, 09:18   #4

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome Lindsay - looking forward to hearing your adventures when "'Rona" finally allows!

Tags
Australia