Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 06:59   #1

Looking to crew for Atlantic crossing Sept-Dec 2020

I'm a 25-year-old from Ohio. I've been living in Andorra for a year working as an English/music teacher and moving back to the States in the fall. I could meet you anywhere in Europe, but as for destination, the closer to New York the better.

I haven't sailed in a few years but grew up going to a sailing camp in Michigan and once spent a week sailing on Lake Huron.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I'm easygoing, responsible, and can cook.

I'm also new to this site, so if anyone has advice re: things to include here, it would be greatly appreciated
hggstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 18:27   #2

Re: Looking to crew for Atlantic crossing Sept-Dec 2020

Hey! I see you’re trying to cross the Atlantic? I have a team of three (including me) along with 2 friendly animals. We’re attempting to leave the United States to get to Europe and we’re currently in Maine. We’re friendly, open minded people with lots of respect. We range in ages from 26-31 but we’re all young hearted old souls. If you’d like to know more, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Hope to hear back soon!
Trutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:44   #3

Hi Trutter! Thank you so much for the message! I think we're unfortunately trying to cross in opposite directions though... Will you be doing a return journey from Europe to the US? And if so, what's your expected timeframe?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:14   #4

hgg you might clarify what you are trying to achieve.

Don’t let the following discourage you but perhaps guide you. I’m supportive of your quest. At your age I had the chance to sail eastbound and turned it down. A choice I regretted for some years.
You probably want to consider at least three things:
Cost.
If it is a cheap way to get home from Europe then probably not the best. You can book a one way flight from Madrid to New York for $225 (usd). Think about how long it would take you to earn that versus how long it would take you to sail the Atlantic. You would probably spend at least as much getting yourself the minimum gear as you would simply flying.
Experience.
If this is about a developmental personal experience or adventure, great. But then put that first and think through what would make this worthwhile or not. If it is about the experience then finding the right boat and crew probably drastically outweighs which direction you are crossing (it’s only and extra $225 to fly back). A qualified compatible crew in a comfortable well equipped blue water ready boat should out weigh any other decision criteria.
Logistics.
Sailing across the Atlantic in a sail boat is not like calling up Cunard and booking a cabin on the Queen Mary 2. With a sail boat the schedule is very weather dependant...in fact you shouldn’t really think of it as a schedule but more a general intent. There is also a degree of seasonality to transatlantic crossings. You might familiarize yourself with Jimmy Cornell’s world cruising routes. Depending on what you mean by “fall” your “schedule” may fall after the typical time for east bound crossings and before the typical time for westbound crossings.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:29   #5

KC375, thank you so much for the feedback!

I guess since a transatlantic trip is something I've wanted to do for a long time, I thought that my move back to the US this year would be a good opportunity to try to find one. I could fly to the US, sail to Europe, then fly back to the US again, but that seems a little silly (and environmentally irresponsible). As for the seasonality of transatlantic voyages, I've done a bit of cursory research, but that's certainly something I'll admit I don't know much about. I was going to research more if/when I got in contact with a crew.

Simply put, I'm aware that it's very likely I won't find anything this time around, but I thought I'd ask just in case. If my direction/timeframe doesn't work out this year, then I'll just try again sometime in the future!

Thank you again for the help!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46   #6

World has changed dramatically. And it is vital to sail within your country territory/territories. If you still want to get somewhere outside your territory, then ask the embassy / consulate in this country in this city: Can you recommend go / sail / fly there for me? And again, it is better within your own country and country territories.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
World has changed dramatically. And it is vital to sail within your country territory/territories. If you still want to get somewhere outside your territory, then ask the embassy / consulate in this country in this city: Can you recommend go / sail / fly there for me? And again, it is better within your own country and country territories.

The OP is looking for a sailing opportunity in the fall, some six to nine months from now. The world may still be in lockdown but it is neither unreasonable nor irresponsible to hope / make tentative plans that it wont be.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:15   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Best bet would be to get to the Canary Islands in Nov and get on an ARC boat heading to St Lucia. From there, you can hop along North on whatever is going that way. Cruisers are typically going South (From US to Caribbean) in the Fall and North in late spring, but there maybe someone heading to the Bahamas or East Coast of the US.

Get to the Las Palmas early as the available crew spots fill quick.

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arcitinerary.aspx

Matt
Old 04-04-2020, 12:05   #9

Get to the plane, get a visa, if necessary. For there is a real opportunity to die in Santa Lucia without work and without any social assistance. Alternatively, you can rot there in prison.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, crew