Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 20:38   #1

Boat: Looking...
Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

The Pilothouse concept is well proven. It provides protection from the elements and conserves crew energy. Many Pilothouse sailboats are around, and as sailors get older, their appeal is obvious. They range from factory-produced small boats and home-builts to very large one-off custom designs.

Asking for opinions on the best of anything will always bring a wide variety of views. I hope that those who respond will be specific as to WHY they prefer one design over another so that those considering the Pilothouse option may be better able to understand the different choices available. Of course, money is always a consideration, so I hope that posters will give an idea of the prices that folks looking to purchase these boats might anticipate what sort of budget they would need to actually buy them.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 21:11   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

I think opinions are meaningless without a set of priorities and parameters, so this is my basic list for a good pilothouse design.

Good inside visibility, ergonomics and actual control from Pilothouse.
Large skylight so that I can monitor set of sail from inside
Efficient motor sailor, easily driven and sea-kindly
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 22:19   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think opinions are meaningless without a set of priorities and parameters, so this is my basic list for a good pilothouse design.

Good inside visibility, ergonomics and actual control from Pilothouse.
Large skylight so that I can monitor set of sail from inside
Efficient motor sailor, easily driven and sea-kindly

Agree. My boat was the first of many pilothouse sailboats I have been aboard that you can actually see over the bow well with. I think this is probably partly a function of size.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 22:25   #4

Boat: Moody 42

I happen to love my old Moody 42. Meet all of the above, plus outstanding storage, good construction, decent sailor, aft cabin and aft cockpit. Galley is small but very sea worthy. Two heads seems overkill though. Good access to engine. In general these type boats are a bit tough to air condition due to large windows but I've got a good bit of insulation in the coach roof and get by with one 16K unit.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:47   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Don't laugh but I am actually considering converting my Cal 2-27 to a pilothouse boat. The new after bulkhead will be even with the after edge of the bridge deck, so I will lose a little cockpit space. When finished I will have wheel steering inside, and the ability to connect a tiller in the cockpit for emergencies or maybe for docking/undocking. I have a history of skin cancer so I want to minimize my exposure as much as possible. Besides, I don't steer a ship outside in the weather, so why should I steer my sailboat outside? I would rather stay dry and warm, especially when I have everything outside set for self-tacking. The beer is inside, I want to be inside. A sun worshipper I am not. The only hitch other than the obvious hit on windward performance, is I might have to raise the gooseneck attachment a few inches and move the vang a little toward the mast. But it is do-able. I suppose it will be the only pilothouse 2-27 afloat, I don't know.

Pilothouses rock. Especially if you burn easily or have had skin cancer or are at risk. Or sail in cold, wet places.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:31   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

My two faves are Bouungainvillea from Kanter along with various Dutch designs (Hoek, Dykstra, etc.).

By pilothouse I understand pilothouse, not raised salon or deck salon, boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
...I think this is probably partly a function of size.
Many pilothouse designs I have seen are too boxy for my tastes, but I think that is again, a function of size and LOA to keep the lines balanced.

Personally, I have never seen a pilothouse sailboat under 40ft which did not look like an add on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 em DSC_0060.jpg
Views:	3699
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	51985  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12   #8

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Don't laugh but I am actually considering converting my Cal 2-27 to a pilothouse boat. The new after bulkhead will be even with the after edge of the bridge deck, so I will lose a little cockpit space. When finished I will have wheel steering inside, and the ability to connect a tiller in the cockpit for emergencies or maybe for docking/undocking. I have a history of skin cancer so I want to minimize my exposure as much as possible. Besides, I don't steer a ship outside in the weather, so why should I steer my sailboat outside? I would rather stay dry and warm, especially when I have everything outside set for self-tacking. The beer is inside, I want to be inside. A sun worshipper I am not. The only hitch other than the obvious hit on windward performance, is I might have to raise the gooseneck attachment a few inches and move the vang a little toward the mast. But it is do-able. I suppose it will be the only pilothouse 2-27 afloat, I don't know.

Pilothouses rock. Especially if you burn easily or have had skin cancer or are at risk. Or sail in cold, wet places.
Hey Growley Monster - After spending 3 days standing in the rain on the last short handed delivery from Cape Town to Belize, I too am leaning to fair weather sailing or an inside helm. Once you run out of dry clothes and the nappy rash starts to set in, standing out in the rain seems kinda foolish.
I suppose it's all comes down to what you can afford at the end of the day.
I saw this old 80's hunter 36 with a hardtop bimini, which could be an alternative to a pilothouse. The big question is how will it be affected by a bit of a blow?
I guess you'll always be trading one thing for another on smaller boats.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hardtop.jpg
Views:	2927
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	51986  
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33   #9

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Sirius has a few interesting models.
Sirius-Werft Pln
Their yachts are highly customized, and they offer a "for 2" version, that is optimised for a couple.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37   #10

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Many pilothouse designs I have seen are too boxy for my tastes, but I think that is again, a function of size and LOA to keep the lines balanced.

Personally, I have never seen a pilothouse sailboat under 40ft which did not look like an add on.

The for sale forum shows a Grampian 34 that looks pretty sweet. Rare sailboat I think. Still, the lines are wonderful to my eye. Any boat with a 7' cabin would be welcome to get out of the rain.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09   #12

You may want to consider this:

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Best pilothouse sailboats. Hans Christian 44 ,, Fisher 37/46 ,, Cheoy Lee 43 ,, many others but these are 3 that can still sail.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:56   #14

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

One poster mentioned that sailor age is strongly related to the appeal of the pilot house, and I find myself leaning that way ...

What can you do the make the pilothouse weatherly in really big blows, deal with scupper restrictions, etc ?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
(...) many others but these are 3 that can still sail.
Add these two:

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1344461805000

http://www.grootsneek.nl/wp-content/.../bestevaer.jpg

IMHO there is nil relationship between PH and performance. Neither do I see any relation to drivers' age.

I think perhaps wx counts - what nicer but cruising high latitudes in comfort and safety?

Even in the tropics, I would take a sleek PH anyday - just to get away from those dense tropical rains!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Pilothouse comparison, sailboat