Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 12:40   #1

Safety between Suez and India

Looking to find out if anyone has recently gone down Suez through Red Sea and crossed Gulf of Aden past Dijbouti/Ethiopia/Yemen etc.

I'm going to attempt to sail from Scotland to Philippines next year and as an inexperienced person think this is less risky than crossing Atlantic and Pacific. I am buying a 26ft Hunter 26 with 9.9hp engine.

Any suggestions or knowledge of Red Sea/Yemen/ Oman route safety or tips?
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 12:51   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Safety between Suez and India

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
...Suez through Red Sea and crossed Gulf of Aden past Dijbouti/Ethiopia/Yemen etc.

I'm going to attempt to sail from Scotland to Philippines...inexperienced person ...buying a 26ft Hunter 26 with 9.9hp engine.

Any suggestions...safety or tips?
Don't rush between Scotland and the eastern Med, that way you should resolve the inexperience issue, though you'll also probably discover that you've not got a suitable boat for crossing the Indian Ocean.
Old 15-05-2020, 13:18   #3

Got it !

Time is no problem and I can take whatever time I need to gain experience in calmer waters.

I take it you may think 26ft is not a big enough boat?

What about safety on the route down Red Sea etc?

Thanks
Old 15-05-2020, 13:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you haven't already bought it, I'd continue to look. A small Hunter is the last boat that I'd consider and an outboard powered boat as well. Might look for Look around and get familiar with all the boats out there. Especially look for a boat with a small cockpit and secure companionway. I'd want a diesel because there will be a lot of time and conditions where you'll need the engine and an outboard hanging off the stern is not a safe alternative. In the cabin look for storage compartments not wide open space that can only be filled with air or a flying body. A boat that is safe at sea and suitable for extended voyaging, especially in a small boat will not have a wide open interior. See if there are any Contessa 26s that you can have a look at. A number of them have made long ocean passages.

That's a pretty ambitious sail
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:40   #5

Thanks, much appreciated. I was looking at Hunter 26's with built in engine but accept that as you outline, this is not a long distance practical boat.

I was only thinking 26ft because I assumed small was easier to sail short handed and also cheaper on maintenance.
Old 16-05-2020, 01:16   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
...Hunter 26's with built in engine but accept that as you outline, this is not a long distance practical boat.

I was only thinking 26ft because I assumed small was easier to sail short handed and also cheaper on maintenance.
Nothing wrong with small - I prefer them myself - but as noted earlier a Contessa would be a far better choice for offshore sailing; I did many miles in and would heartily recommend the Albin Vega.
Old 16-05-2020, 01:48   #7
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

https://www.asket.co.uk/post/2017/08...maritime-secur

Also there is a Facebook page for such crossings - I believe noonsite has the link
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 03:15   #8

you would be a lot safer in an Albin Vega , check out the lists of boats that do the jester challenge ,that will give you a better idea of safer small boats

id also avoid the islands to the south of the philipines , that area around sulu is not safe , they use a big curved knife to hack your head off down there .South western Mindanao is high risk
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:36   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Looking to find out if anyone has recently gone down Suez through Red Sea and crossed Gulf of Aden past Dijbouti/Ethiopia/Yemen etc.

I'm going to attempt to sail from Scotland to Philippines next year and as an inexperienced person think this is less risky than crossing Atlantic and Pacific. I am buying a 26ft Hunter 26 with 9.9hp engine.

Any suggestions or knowledge of Red Sea/Yemen/ Oman route safety or tips?
I'd be more concerned about your boat choice ( combined with inexperience) than I would about any possible piracy issues - they tend to look for larger fish.

What you're describing is day sailor - what you need is a blue water pocket cruiser with a decent diesel engine. A 30' boat can be easily single handed if you know what you're doing. Your biggest challenge could well be crossing the Med - a lot can go wrong in there.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:42   #10

THanks.

Yes, most people say go slightly larger and more robust.

How do you avoid the dangers of the med? Travel in a group? What areas are worst for piracy?
Old 16-05-2020, 09:44   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you haven't already bought it, I'd continue to look. A small Hunter is the last boat that I'd consider and an outboard powered boat as well.
I would second what Roverhi has said. I am assuming that the Hunter is the UK version and I wouldn't choose it for that journey. Coastal sailing around the UK fine, but no to anything else. Be aware the Red Sea can be very windy, with weeks of South going winds in the F6 bracket.

What's the budget and lets see what else we can come up with in the UK.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:46   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
THanks.

Yes, most people say go slightly larger and more robust.

How do you avoid the dangers of the med? Travel in a group? What areas are worst for piracy?
The med isn't a problem other than there is either too much wind or nil so you will have to motor alot. Others will need to comment on the right season to do the Indian Ocean.

Pete
Old 16-05-2020, 09:49   #13

Thanks.

I actually live on the other side of Saudi in Bahrain so I'm slightly surprised Red Sea is so windy. I scuba dived there a couple of times but that was mid July.

Budget is around $30k with $15-$16k for a boat and the rest for spares, repairs and additions.
Old 16-05-2020, 09:54   #14

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated. I was looking at Hunter 26's with built in engine but accept that as you outline, this is not a long distance practical boat.

You are correct about the easier and cheaper maintenance (also insurance, canal transit and marina fees). Several other people have responded to your original post, writing that by the time you get to the Indian Ocean you’ll have gained a lot of experience, and I agree with that. And I know that people have circumnavigated in Hunters. But 27’ is, in my opinion, a tad small and light for the voyage you are contemplating. I have sailed the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, aside from the security issues, these are challenging passages - climate in general, wind patterns in particular, white knuckle navigation between Suez and Asmara, mindless bureaucracy etc.I suggest you search out a few voyage blogs written by sailors who have done these legs recently, there are some well written journals online and you’ll be able to get a good sense of what lies ahead.

You say you enjoyed diving in the Red Sea with calm seas and little wind, but I’ve done that route a couple of times with enough wind to blow a dog off his leash. ��
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:54   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, this could have a lot of useful stuff on board and is priced to sell. Assuming it's not clapped out, will get you there and the extra length will mean faster passage times.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4402840553367/

You need to read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tania_Aebi account of her around the world trip. Its a really good read and ought to be available cheaply second hand in the UK.

Pete

Tags
India, safety