Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 08:25   #76

Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Took delivery of a jeanneau 50DS in May this year, it's got the 75hp yanmar and the new SD60 saildrive and flexfold prop, has plenty of power and cruises at 7kts at around 2200 rpm and over 9 kts flat out. Rather than the roller mainsail opted for the classic mast and larger fully battened main with 3 reef lines already fitted. The interior isn't Oyster quality, but it didn't cost anywhere near Oyster money. I have the 2 cabin version which was a difficult but sensible option, but we don't have a cabin to fill with all our crap, but it's less like camping! Discount on retail price around 22%, it was around £25000 less than a similar spec'd and discounted Oceanis 48. Major downside in the Med is that marina fees are often significantly more for a boat above 15m, it's actually 15.07m!
Quality of jeanneau/benateau? Can't say there is much difference as they are built on the same production line at Cholet.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 08:17   #77

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

We have a sailing school in Antigua - We run 2 Jeanneaus and one Beneteau - they each have their better points - The Bene takes pounding in the seas better than the Jens - the Jens seem to have 'flatter bottoms' which do slam when beating, but generally the Jens are better performance yachts, with better average speeds - the Bene is regarded as 'built for comfort, not for speed'!
pippatheskippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 16:19   #78

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippatheskippa View Post
We have a sailing school in Antigua - We run 2 Jeanneaus and one Beneteau - they each have their better points - The Bene takes pounding in the seas better than the Jens - the Jens seem to have 'flatter bottoms' which do slam when beating, but generally the Jens are better performance yachts, with better average speeds - the Bene is regarded as 'built for comfort, not for speed'!
I guess that in what regards pounding it all depends on the model. For example I am pretty sure that a Jeanneau 409 will pound less upwind than an Oceanis 41 (both contemporary designs).

Regarding the typical Jeanneau being a bit more sportive and fast then the Oceanis I agree, specially if they they have the performance option that I think it does not exist on the Oceanis, but that is not probably true to all the boats and all points of sail. Probably the Oceanis 38 with moderate to strong wind, on a beam reach or downwind will have the potential to be faster than the jeanneau 379 (it depends on the amount of sail carried). Probably the 379 will be faster in light winds. You have to look boat by boat and look at the strong and weak points in what regards sailing.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02   #79

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

I've seen and heard discussions about Jeanneau's mast and bow design outperforming Beneteau. (late model designs) Jeanneau's bow is narrower to slice into waves and mast set back further to prevent hobby horsing, making for a more comfortable ride. Can anyone point to specs vs. anecdotal evidence?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:19   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I've seen and heard discussions about Jeanneau's mast and bow design outperforming Beneteau. (late model designs) Jeanneau's bow is narrower to slice into waves and mast set back further to prevent hobby horsing, making for a more comfortable ride. Can anyone point to specs vs. anecdotal evidence?
That thing about Beneteaus having the mast set back further makes no sense. It depends on the design as well as the overall performance. For instance, the Jeanneau 379 is faster than the Oceanis 38 on light winds, on medium and stronger winds the Oceanis 38 is faster. Anyway the difference is not big, except probably in what regards really strong winds for the Oceanis. You have to look boat by boat.
Regarding masts set back have a look:

Old 09-12-2014, 19:15   #81

Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Thanks for the perspective. A fast evaluation of your pictures ( as flawed as it is) reveals the Beneteau mast to be set further back. I do appreciate your technical contrasts.

Is there merit to the idea that the more slender Jeanneau bow section vs a supposedly fuller Beneteau affords the J 349/379 a more sea kindly motion especially going to weather?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:16   #82

I don't think it will make any noticeable difference regarding the Oceanis 38 and the Jeanneau 379 but as I said each boat is a case. If we are talking between the Jeanneau 409 and the Oceanis 41, there I think you will feel the diference and the Jeanneau will be more comfortable upwind.

If that really matters to you, regarding 38ft i would be looking for the Salona 38 or the Dehler 38 (as well as more speed). if you can live with a more spartan interior the Varianta 37 is also an option: it sails better on most situations or points of sail than the Jeanneau 379 or the Oceanis 38, particularly with light wind or upwind and is a more fun boat to sail.
Old 14-12-2014, 10:37   #83

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Beneteaus are for the charter/family market with design towards more roomy interiors..
the Jeaneau leans more towards the performance side of the cruising market.. they just sail better..

I've chartered lots of Beneteaus and Jeanneaus in the Sunsail and Moorings fleets and I used to say that Beneteaus tended to be more comfortable and Jeanneaus were a little more performance oriented. Now I would have to say it depends entirely on the model. For instance, Sunsail's Jeanneau 44i (which is actually 45 feet) is a very sweet sailing boat, fast and easy to trim. Sunsail's Jeanneau 53 is a very comfortable boat, but it won't sail up to its rating. I've never seen it compete well against other charter boats at BVI and Antigua regattas. You can get an idea of what the designers had in mind by seeing what kind of control lines a particular boat has, but you still have to sail it to have an informed expectation of the boat.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:00   #84

I stumbled on this conversation searching for info on these two boats.
not willing to fork out for the full sailing guides just yet. I downloaded the Optimal VMG Target speeds off the ORC site.

It basically shows that beating the SO379 is faster in less than 12 kn, and the O38 is faster from 12-20 kn.

TWS 038 SO379
6 4.10 4.32
8 5.00 5.13
10 5.71 5.81
12 6.30 6.41
14 6.80 6.68
16 7.05 6.84
20 7.23 6.93

The SO looks to be able to point about a degree higher under 20kn as well.
Sailor614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:38   #85

It seems I was right ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
... Probably the Oceanis 38 with moderate to strong wind, on a beam reach or downwind will have the potential to be faster than the jeanneau 379 (it depends on the amount of sail carried). Probably the 379 will be faster in light winds. You have to look boat by boat and look at the strong and weak points in what regards sailing.
The Jeanneau 379 that you refer is the performance one or the standard one?
Old 31-08-2015, 13:29   #86

Sorry, I didn't look, but seing as this was from the Offshore Racing Council VPP, I assumed the deepest keels. Apparently the swing keel OS379 only gives up about 1% to the he full fixed keel version, but the shoal keel gives up about 5%.

Im chartering the O38 for a week this winter, and may try the OS379 in the spring.
Sailor614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:47   #87

My bad. Previous versions of Jeanneau performance included not only a deeper keel but a taller mast and bigger sail area. Not with the 379 that only features better sail quality and better hardware.

Here you have a polar speed of the 379 with deep keel. Maybe someone can post one from the Oceanis 38?

http://jeanneau379sunodyssey.com/wp-...-Code-0-EN.pdf
Old 31-10-2015, 12:05   #88

I got one ('15 349). She's beautiful. She makes me happy.
Old 31-10-2015, 12:37   #89

Well, congratulations!!!. What we need is happy sailors
Old 31-01-2017, 11:17   #90

Hello

did you know this site?

https://www.12boat.com/en/yachtcompa...sailing-yacht/

there i found several attributes in the direct compare - i go for a Oceanis 38, now named Oceanis 38.1

cu

Cyrus
CyrusBloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau