Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 17:44   #31

Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Beneteaus are for the charter/family market with design towards more roomy interiors..
the Jeaneau leans more towards the performance side of the cruising market.. they just sail better..
I have to tell you, I disagree--if we are taking about the latest generations of Beneteaus and Jeanneaus. Jeanneaus used to be better built and nicer boats, but now they are the same craftsmanship, and the main difference is that Jeanneaus emphasize the cabin space (ie, large aft cabin with full walk-around bed), which leads to a smaller cockpit. They are just made for people with different layout tastes.

Now, looking at the very latests new Beneteaus with hard chines, very wide hulls (I am speaking about the Beneteau 38, 41, 45 and 48), these are actually better hull designs (combined with a mast moved back to the center of the boat, for a better hull balance, less plowing), and should perform better than the latest Jeanneaus which have less water line when heeling, and sit a bit higher on the water as well. Both will do reasonably well, it's not a knock on Jeanneaus, but...
ByronShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 17:54   #32

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Beneteaus are for the charter/family market with design towards more roomy interiors..
the Jeaneau leans more towards the performance side of the cruising market.. they just sail better..
I take it you have never sailed a "FIRST EDITION"
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 18:40   #33

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post

And touche on the venerable First series but that's a bit out of class with the Sun Odyssey right? I would think one should compare those to the Sun Fast series.
Not really. The older Sun fast yes, the two that are made today (3200 and 3600) are much more racers then cruisers (I don't think any cruiser will buy one of those). The First 35, 45 and 50 are great performance cruisers. They can be used and are used to race and to cruise. Only the 40 is not as good in what regards cruising potential (it has not a decent anchor locker) but even so is much more suited for cruising than the SF 3600. Take a look at the interior and notice the mini galley and spartan interior, much more than a Pogo for instance.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 18:56   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I take it you have never sailed a "FIRST EDITION"
That's right, if you include the Beneteau First series, then you have even more of an argument for speed; the 36.7s, 40.7 and 44.7s are great, fast boats that are good for cruising, and the First 45 and First 50 are downright luxurious in some aspects. (I exclude the F40 and f30 from that conversation, they are nice but not so comfy inside, although a friend of mine used a F30 as a liveaboard for six months...!)
ByronShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

The 38 is clearly aimed at the weekend warrior but likes a bit of aggressive club racing. Hence You have have a striped out version or all all tricked out version.
dave
Maybe in the US. In Europe nobody is going to buy a Oceanis 38 to do club racing. The boat lacks all the stuff that a racer, even a club one, needs to take all the juice out of the boat, I mean regarding sail shape.

An European that does club racing will buy a Dehler 380, a Salona 38, an Elan 360 a Dufour 36P, an Arcona 380, a Grand Soleil 39, a Comet 38 or many other boats that are offered with that market in mind.

The Oceanis 38 is a main market cruiser with several versions pointing to Day sailing/ weekend cruiser or more intensive cruising. They don't have a performance version. There was talks about making one and the hull would have the potential for it but it would need more ballast, a bigger mast and sail controls adapted to racing. That would make that boat a much more expensive boat. Like it is in Europe the boat fully equipped costs already practically the same as a Dehler 380 or a Salona 38, both faster boats on most conditions and adapted to club racing or if a top boat, to serious racing.
Old 28-03-2014, 19:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronShirley View Post
That's right, if you include the Beneteau First series, then you have even more of an argument for speed; the 36.7s, 40.7 and 44.7s are great, fast boats that are good for cruising, and the First 45 and First 50 are downright luxurious in some aspects. (I exclude the F40 and f30 from that conversation, they are nice but not so comfy inside, although a friend of mine used a F30 as a liveaboard for six months...!)
But you can include the F35, a lovely boat. I see lots of them cruising in Europe and used for charter too. I never understood why the boat is not popular in the US. Maybe because the market for that boat is smaller and they don't make the boat there?
Old 29-03-2014, 07:21   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

The interior of the Oceanis 38 coupled with wide beam carried aft for performance gives Beneteau the design edge. I am in the target center of their demographic. It's a fresh approach.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:49   #38
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The Oceanis 38 is one of the ugliest boats I have ever seen.

I am not a Lego Block.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The Oceanis 38 is one of the ugliest boats I have ever seen.

Are you not exaggerating a bit? After all the boat takes its looks from a 40 class racer and fast is beautiful....or maybe for you slow is beautiful

Drei in einer – Oceanis 38 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

A bit too much freeboard in my opinion and that grey just makes it more evident but "one of the ugliest boats you have ever seen?"????
Old 29-03-2014, 17:59   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Are you not exaggerating a bit? After all the boat takes its looks from a 40 class racer and fast is beautiful....or maybe for you slow is beautiful
It is the ugliest boat I have ever seen, and the second ugliest dog I've ever seen, next to you.
Old 29-03-2014, 18:08   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
It is the ugliest boat I have ever seen, and the second ugliest dog I've ever seen, next to you.
The angular style is all the rage at the moment. I suspect salty your not far up the " style" curve

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-03-2014, 18:31   #42
cruiser

Jeanneau pretty boat. Marc Lombard oki!
Old 29-03-2014, 20:03   #43

Quote:
Jeanneau pretty boat. Marc Lombard oki!
Funny what you say about me being ugly coming from someone with an Avatar like yours

Marc Lombard is OK and Finot/Conq not
Old 29-03-2014, 20:38   #44
cruiser

Finot/Conq ok

Beneteau 37, 34 too dark interior for my taste, and what are those doo-hickies over the sofa? Do you tie your horsies to them?

Beneteau 41, 45 nice.
Old 29-03-2014, 21:42   #45

Designs like this while currently the rage will date themselves. A well designed sailboat is timeless, we all can recognize a timeless design, I'm in SM corner!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau