Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2020, 16:17   #1

Anchor light LED bulb Grounding issue

Hi all. My existing anchor light LED has failed (gone very dim) after years of service. I went to my local Chandlery and grabbed a replacement. Back up the mast and installed it, but alas it would not work. Tried reversing polarity, but no luck. Came back down and tried it direct to a 12v battery. It works! I checked voltages etc at masthead and all is as it should be.
It turns out my existing LED bulb is grounded to the electrical contact pin under the base of the bulb, whereas the new ones are grounded to the casing of the bulb (much like an automotive style where the sleeve it sits in is the negative.)
I have no clue why this is different and it means I cannot not use any of the bulbs in my local Chandlery, who has no idea of the difference or how to source the correct bulb for my standard masthead light/tri colour.
Had anyone came across this issue and if so, how did you go about fixing it/sourcing the correct bulb?
Scrimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 16:24   #2

Re: Anchor light LED bulb Grounding issue

Here's an image of the existing. The 2 connection on the bottom are +/-, where's the new (but same looking) bulbs from Chandlery are only one of those + and the other nothing, but the casing is the negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_092031.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	219993  
Old 26-07-2020, 07:17   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

It is important to get an LED that is spec'd for your specific tricolor fixture. It's not just the proper base, but the colors of the LED bulb need to match the lens color quite accurately or little light will get out. Simple "white" LEDs do not work properly behind colored lenses. Most of the national chandleries (WM, Defender, etc) will have proper replacement LEDs. Not cheap, but necessary.

Good luck.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:59   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Try Dr. LED: http://https://www.doctorled.com/#na...ghts-LED-bulbs. It appears that he has what you need.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 12:21   #5

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

+1 on Dr LED. Pricey but worth it for us.

https://www.doctorled.com/#navigation-lights-LED-bulbs

Regards

Perhaps just my machine but I couldn't open CharlieJ's link.
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 16:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
It is important to get an LED that is spec'd for your specific tricolor fixture. It's not just the proper base, but the colors of the LED bulb need to match the lens color quite accurately or little light will get out. Simple "white" LEDs do not work properly behind colored lenses. Most of the national chandleries (WM, Defender, etc) will have proper replacement LEDs. Not cheap, but necessary.

Good luck.
Interesting. Thanks for that info!
Old 26-07-2020, 16:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Try Dr. LED: http://https://www.doctorled.com/#na...ghts-LED-bulbs. It appears that he has what you need.
Thank you! I will take a look. I managed to find a guy yesterday that custom makes those bulbs for whatever configuration needed. AU$20 per bulb delivered. Thought that was a pretty decent deal!
Old 26-07-2020, 17:13   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I always run twi wires to everything--I never i use housings or the vessel hull as a return path for electrons. Two wires means fewer problems.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 20:06   #9

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Yep -u bought the wrong replacement. For an isolated anchor light the color temp is not important unlike tricolor or P/S Behind colored lenses.
FYI another excellent source for LED’s is Marinebeam - Charleston, SC. Marinebeam & Dr. LED both sell quality replacements that don’t require correct polarity, tolerate lower voltages well & don’t interfere with VHF/AIS ( Possibly important with masthead antennas/anchor lights)

Tags
anchor