Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2020, 13:26   #1

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
What Downwind/light wind sails? SailCut?

Hi:

I primarily sail a Tanzer 22CB. I have hank on 150, 130, 110 with reef point, and 50 (maybe). The main sail has two reef points. I have a Solent stay where I fly the smaller two head sails. The luff is too long on the other two to fly from the Solent.

I also have an assymetrical and have flown it a couple times, though I don't get the sense I know what I am doing with it yet. I could never sail closer than 90 apparent and it is unclear if this is due to the cut of the sail, or operator error. I get the impression from my reading that an assymetrical will usually sail a close reach. With the tack line run through a block on the pulpit, maybe the luff cannot be straightened enough for more close winded work, and mounting the tack block on a bowsprit (or mini bowsprit AKA the very beefy anchor roller) will help. Also, I don't get the sense that the assymetrical is very big: As measured luff 26'9", leech 24'11", foot 15'2", which is about the same size as the 150. Should I perhaps want a much larger assymetrical?

Last season I was out for 6 weeks on Georgian Bay and the north channel. I intended to stay out 8 weeks, but ripped my main sail. I like to sail, not so much motor. I sometimes sail at night and I sometimes sail 24 hours straight when I want to make miles. I don't need to go fast - I am happy enough doing 2 knots if the autopilot will steer, less so hand steering at 5 knots all day. Just to give people a sense of how I use my boat, and personal preferences.

One of my frustrations last season was when the wind dies off, but the waves remained for 6 or 12 hours, the 150 Genoa isn't doing it because it won't hold any air. Maybe no sail will fix this for a small boat, but the dream is, something really big and light in nylon will keep me moving +-120 degrees from dead down wind, and even if I can't make progress towards the planned destination, I can move in another direction and go somewhere.

So part one, is how do I get more out of my assymetrical, what sails should I consider adding for downwind and light wind conditions?

Part two, is to design and make sails any sails deemed useful in part one, perhaps using SailCut for the design. I have the Sailrite set of books on how to by rule of thumb loft sails, but I don't have the companion 25' x 35' clear floor space. Sailcut reduces the needed footprint down to panel size, perhaps 8' x 20' which with effort I can manage, but needs some knowledge as to how to choose the various parameters, which I completely lack.

The other thing, I came into hundreds of yards of 3/4 and 1-1/2 nylon sailcloth gratis. If I did not already have the raw materials, I'd just get Sailrite to set me up with some kits and find another boat project, or look in to used. I have assembled 7 Sailrite kits, and added reef points to my main, so I am at least weakly skilled at the sail construction bit.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 16:18   #2

Re: What Downwind/light wind sails? SailCut?

When things are look’n bad... becalmed, burning to a crisp , surrounded by sharks ....smoke,n your last cigarette.... you don’t hoist a big sail , you hoist a small, very lightweight shy or non overlapping jib

They are called wind seeker, drifters, Daisy’s

The sail is hoisted, sheeted in firm to leeward and as the boat rolls in the swell the sail harvests the air , sculls the boat and feeds the back of the mainsail

One minute jelly fish are swimming past you ... you get the drifter set up and presto .... those jelly fish are being left behind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	176532E1-8D7D-4FEB-B2DF-1B697C5FEE16.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	208989  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 21:33   #3

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Re: What Downwind/light wind sails? SailCut?

Thanks for the suggestion slug.
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails, wind