Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 10:36   #1

The best season to buy a sailboat in Australia

Hi everyone!

I am thinking about to buy a small sailboat under 30 ft in Australia. Ideal, if she would be ready for blue water cruising. What would be the best time (prices, wide range) for this? Thank you!
Natali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 12:24   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: The best season to buy a sailboat in Australia

It's probable that any old time would work out, by the time you figure in getting her ready for sea and shaking her down. I would not look to go to sea during cyclone season, which is usually strongest from Dec through to April. Although, do understand, there are out of season cyclones, and we have had them in Oct and also, the middle of May.

You should plan half your money for purchase and the other half for upgrading; and, you will need at least 3rd party insurance to be in any boatyard here. At first, you'll need to be in a marina. It is just that there are very, very few ready-to-go boats for sale. It takes time, effort, and $$$ to get them ready to go.

Ann
Old 14-02-2020, 13:09   #3

Boat: Nordic 40

I dont think there is a best season to buy a boat. Plenty of boats are available all year round. I bought mine last year after two years of looking and to be honest I didnt notice any particular time when more boats came on to the market. Just take your time, don't rush, Its a buyers market at the moment, I know a few people who have been trying to sell for over 12 months. The one I purchased was probably on the market for nearly 12 months, but I didn't initially look at it as it was out of my budget, but an 80k price drop changed that. Just take your time and keep looking until you find what you want. With new listings coming up all the time just don't rush it.
Old 14-02-2020, 13:29   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

WOW, 80 k price drop, Is that a typo,
Thats a hell of a drop in price,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:43   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Mr B, I often see big price drops in boats being sold. Its usually when someone is looking for that dreamer/schmuck and they do occasionally get one. Then after a while they get realistic and put a sensible price on their boat. It's normally private sales where it happens since most brokers are not interested in listing an overpriced boat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 14:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
WOW, 80 k price drop, Is that a typo,
Thats a hell of a drop in price,
No typo. Originally went on the market for around 170K. The previous owner had invested a whole heap into it, had it on the hard for 4 years getting everything professionally worked on, then life changed and needed to get rid of it. At first it was way out of my range, but over 12 months it came down to under 100k, then I got seriously interested. Very fortunate, Very happy.
Old 14-02-2020, 14:20   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali View Post
Hi everyone!

I am thinking about to buy a small sailboat under 30 ft in Australia. Ideal, if she would be ready for blue water cruising. What would be the best time (prices, wide range) for this? Thank you!
Any time really. Australia is a big place so it depends on what area you are planning to look for a boat.

More boats are sold in summer in Tassie and more in winter in far north Qld.
At a guess, sales in Brisbane and Gold Coast are all year round (???).
Then there is Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Perth markets.

I think the biggest challenge will ready for blue water cruising and sub 30'. There are some out there but not as many as say 30+ years back. These days most (but not all) people who take a normal coastal cruiser and turn it into a blue water or off shore boat will more likely to be 35+'.

It might be quicker to find a well found coastal cruiser and upgrade it yourself.

Depends on one's definitions of blue water though
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 14:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
No typo. Originally went on the market for around 170K. The previous owner had invested a whole heap into it, had it on the hard for 4 years getting everything professionally worked on, then life changed and needed to get rid of it. At first it was way out of my range, but over 12 months it came down to under 100k, then I got seriously interested. Very fortunate, Very happy.
Was it sub 30' (as the OP is requesting info about)?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-02-2020, 14:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Was it sub 30' (as the OP is requesting info about)?
Nope, Sub 40', but the original comment I made before I replied to that comment asking if it was a typo was in relation to my experience boat hunting in Australia in general. I looked at many boats, originally was thinking of getting around that 30' size, but from what I saw there wasn't any particular time of the year where boats were better to purchase. More seemed to sell in the summer months, but boats were available with new listings coming up all year round. I was also trying to convey the idea of waiting and looking around, not just jumping on the first boat you look at like I nearly did can be beneficial
Old 14-02-2020, 14:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Nope, Sub 40', but the original comment I made before I replied to that comment asking if it was a typo was in relation to my experience boat hunting in Australia in general. I looked at many boats, originally was thinking of getting around that 30' size, but from what I saw there wasn't any particular time of the year where boats were better to purchase. More seemed to sell in the summer months, but boats were available with new listings coming up all year round. I was also trying to convey the idea of waiting and looking around, not just jumping on the first boat you look at like I nearly did can be beneficial
Ahh, that's make sense - thanks for the explanation.
Old 14-02-2020, 15:19   #11

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

When I bought my 34 foot Cat, I couldnt afford to buy one in Australia, They were too dear,
I found two I liked, Half the price of Australian boats that were similar, Ones that I could afford,
And boats that would do what I wanted them to do, I was very specific in what I wanted,

One was in San Diago, USA, The other was in Fiji,
Both identical boats with the same Bling added,
All the extra's for Blue water and ready to go offshore, live aboard capable, And the same price for both,

I bought the one in Fiji as I thought 12000 miles across the Pacific for my first ocean voyage was a bit much for me to handle,
Approx 2000 miles Fiji to OZ, Yep, I cant manage that,
Considering I also couldnt sail a boat at that time,

The only things that are really seasonal for sale in OZ are motorbikes in the southern states due to cold and rain,
I doubt if boats are seasonal for sale,

Good luck with your search,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:53   #12

I have a formosa51 that is going cheap, $38000us but in fiji. Need's about 30,000us thrown at her to have a good blue wate water rcruiser. Good project boat which would be worth around 150,000us after you were
done. Just sat for the last 2 years and needs a few things but the basics are there. Good motor new stout alloy mast. New fuller and rigging on the main. Just needs some batteries and a new main, genset, a bit of organising and safety gear serviced and you would be able to cruise down wind to assie or hang out in fiji and see the 300 islands we have here while you are getting used to the boat and getting more things you want to finish her off. QUOTE=Wild Goose;3074748]Nope, Sub 40', but the original comment I made before I replied to that comment asking if it was a typo was in relation to my experience boat hunting in Australia in general. I looked at many boats, originally was thinking of getting around that 30' size, but from what I saw there wasn't any particular time of the year where boats were better to purchase. More seemed to sell in the summer months, but boats were available with new listings coming up all year round. I was also trying to convey the idea of waiting and looking around, not just jumping on the first boat you look at like I nearly did can be beneficial[/QUOTE]
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 14:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Any time really. Australia is a big place so it depends on what area you are planning to look for a boat.

More boats are sold in summer in Tassie and more in winter in far north Qld.
At a guess, sales in Brisbane and Gold Coast are all year round (???).
Then there is Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Perth markets.

I think the biggest challenge will ready for blue water cruising and sub 30'. There are some out there but not as many as say 30+ years back. These days most (but not all) people who take a normal coastal cruiser and turn it into a blue water or off shore boat will more likely to be 35+'.

It might be quicker to find a well found coastal cruiser and upgrade it yourself.

Depends on one's definitions of blue water though

This one could be worth your consideration:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...-bounty/244059
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:08   #14

without wanting to side track this convo - i heard that the best time to buy (best price/value) in the US/Caribbean is spring-summer (prior to winter cruising peak). Can anyone confirm this ?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 10:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali View Post
Hi everyone!

Natalie, We will be selling a beautifully equipped Pacific Seacraft 31 at the end of this year when we reach Australia. We have been cruising on her for going on 6 years now and the boat is currently in Tonga sitting out the cyclone season.

Check out our blog for info about our “Cool Change” PS-31 & you will find our contact info there. If of interest I can provide full details, equip listing etc.

Cool Change, Pacific Seacraft 31 | On the voyage of a lifetime.

Our plan is to arrive in Bundaberg Au. in Nov of this year after visiting Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia.
Good luck with your search.
rcparne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, sail, sailboat