Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 20:23   #31

Boat: Building Wharrams
Re: Building a Wharram Hitia 14

In this video I first remove possible residue wax (amine blush) from the bulkheads which have 2 coats of epoxy. Then I continue with making the deck supports and stiffeners for each bulkhead. After that I sand the bulkheads with 80 grit sandpaper on the spots where the deck supports and stiffeners will be glued.
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:20   #32

In this video I am glueing the stiffeners and deck supports to the bulkheads. I also have started stitching the second hull.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:01   #33

In this video I am stitching the side panels of the second hull together. At the end of the video I am taking a look at the drawings to see how to stitch the bulkheads. I then discover that I have glued the stiffeners on the wrong sides on 6 of the bulkheads. So now I will soon discover how easy or difficult it is to remove the epoxied stiffeners and deck supports.
Old 15-10-2018, 00:41   #34

In this video I am glueing the stiffeners and deck supports again on the bulkheads, but now on the correct side. I discovered this mistake a couple of days ago. I think I don't have to remove the incorrect ones, just remove a little bit at places where these wrongly placed stiffeners and deck supports are in the way. I also started making a stand for one hull.
Old 16-10-2018, 17:03   #35

In this video I first clean up the workshop. Then I do some work on placing the stiffeners and deck supports on 2 bulkheads (again). I also assemble one of the stands for the hull. I use epoxy and some nails to keep it all together while the epoxy dries. Later I will add fillets to the stand to make it all stronger.
Old 20-10-2018, 01:42   #36

In this video I am glueing stiffeners and deck supports on the bulkheads and I am adding fillets for more strength on the stands.
Old 22-10-2018, 11:48   #37

In this video I am stitching bulkhead 3 and 2 in place in one of the hulls.
Old 23-10-2018, 16:37   #38

In this video I stitch bulkhead 1 and 4 in place. Afterwards I am spatulas with 2,5cm radius out of thin plywood, which I will use for making the keel and bulkhead fillets.
Old 24-10-2018, 17:52   #39

In this video I start with making the fillets for the keel. First I stitch and clamp the side panels to the sternpost which were still not together. I had to use clamps, because the copper wire that I am using is too thin to keep this part together. Next time I will use thicker copper wire. After that I tighten all the stitches. Then I lightly send the areas where the fillets will be and after sanding I use the vacuum cleaner to take the dust away. Then I start to do the filleting. The straight horizontal part goes very well. The stempost part that is at an angle does not go that well, there are several bumps in the fillet. I will try to sand that smooth tomorrow. It was a good day.
Old 27-10-2018, 00:41   #40

In this video I am making the keel fillet between bulkhead 4 and 3. I am lightly sanding the areas where I am going to apply the fillets, then I clean the areas, then I apply a layer of unthickened epoxy and then I create the fillet. I am mixing epoxy in paper small cups so every batch I can make only a fillet of about 70mm. I tried mixing larger batches of epoxy, but with the paper cup size I am using and the temperature in my workshop I find that smaller batches work much better.
Old 28-10-2018, 15:27   #41

In this video I finish making the fillets on the keel, sternpost and stempost of hull 1.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15   #42

In this video I am making the fillets on the bulkheads of one of the hulls. The more I practice the better the fillets get. It has been more than 10 days since the last time I uploaded a video. I have been to Yangon, Myanmar for a couple of days. If you like to see a video about that trip, you can find it on my other channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVV...0J1lozDZy1EsjA
Old 09-11-2018, 20:46   #43

I start with a clean up of the shop. Now I am going to see how to fit the fore and aft deck. While I am looking at it I am thinking of doing some work to make it all look better, even though most of it will not be visible once the fore and aft deck are epoxied in place. I am also thinking about sanding everything inside another time with 80 grit sandpaper and apply a layer of epoxy. While I am removing epoxy and pieces of deck support that are wrongly places I notice how strong the epoxy bonds and fillets actually are. I use my wonderful Japanese chisel to remove the wrongly placed deck support. The end result looked very nice, but I can’t show it in this video, because the battery of my camera was empty.
Old 11-11-2018, 20:16   #44

In this video I cut out a notch in the fore deck panel where the stempost will fit. I also removed another deck support that I had epoxied in the wrong place.
Old 12-11-2018, 15:27   #45

In this video I first move the stands so that the boat is standing more stable while I am working on it. You will also see that I started sanding everything. The building plans don't tell to do this, but I want to inside and especially the fillets looks better, so I decided to sand everything smooth and then apply a layer of unthickened epoxy and at some places touch up with thickened epoxy. I am especially not satisfied about the looks of the stempost fillet, so I will try to make it better. After that I am drilling 12mm vent holes in bulkhead 1,3 and 4. These holes are sanded and will also get a layer of epoxy. I am also fixing then deck stringer to the fore deck. The method is to first drill a few holes so that the stringer can be stitched and kept in place. After that I put a layer of unthickened epoxy at the place where the stringer will be and then I put colloidal silica into the resin and hardener mix and apply this to the stringer. After it is in place and stitches tightened I put some nails into it to fix them.

Tags
wharram