Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 10:08   #1

Need eyes on a boat n La Paz, Please!

Hello all!

As a long time guest viewer I've learned that someone out here in these forums can help me. I'm trying to buy "the boat" in La Paz, from Oregon. I've bought a number of boats before, never sight unseen, and never imagined I could. All of course before Covid and travel restrictions, and required quarantine from work if I go...
Since this boat is to be the one my family and I liveaboard for (hopefully) years to come, it's even more inconceivable that I purchase without stepping foot on it first.
That's where you come in. I'm hoping that some wonderful soul in La Paz would be willing to help out a stranger, and take a look see before I make a binding offer. The broker is, I'm sure, trustworthy and fair; yet ultimately biased. Hopefully you could be my independent, objective eyes. I'm familiar with the type of boat, and I'm sure it's floating, but need someone to confirm for me that it's going to remain that way and the pictures aren't hiding anything too sinister.
I'm not looking for a survey from you, just that first cursory peak around we've all likely done dozens of times.
Also, it'd be great if you didn't "snag her from under me."
So, if you might be willing, please let me know and we can make a necessary greeting. Really hoping you all can appreciate the times and the experience of buying, to help a fellow sailor out.
Guarantee of beers when we make it down there and meet in person!
Thank you,
Alex
Schelldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 22:42   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Need eyes on a boat n La Paz, Please!

Is it Tom of La Paz Yachts? If so, he is a very honest guy and I highly recommend him. Try to keep a level head. The boat is not going anywhere and especially now with the covid.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 05:13   #3

Thank you for the words of confidence. I've managed to mitigate my concerns and protect my interests the best possible I think. Definite leap of faith into the next chapters of life! Many people in La Paz have been helpful and accommodating. So wonderful to experience in these strange times.
Things are moving forward, hopefully I'll own a hole in the water soon!
Old 14-08-2020, 09:09   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you crave a second opinion. see rich boren of third day. he has a business in la paz and is there.. may even know the boat in question, and is not interested in another boat..he has a force 50 third day. good people
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 09:23   #5

Sending someone you trust is a bit different than sending someone you don't know. I've seen many boats and owners who consider something "Good" that I definitely would not. How do you know that your volunteer even knows what they're looking at.

I feel your pain, but trusting an anonymous stranger is probably worse than trusting the listing broker. Hire a buyers broker. I would try and hire a surveyor to act as your liaison. Make it clear you are hiring them to do a preliminary assessment, not a full survey.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 09:30   #6

Boat: Norseman 400

Hey Schelldiver,
Welcome. We keep our boat in La Paz year round. We are in Oregon for the summer or we'd be more than willing to help.

We do know a person who could take a look for you. For free. Chances are he already knows the boat. Send me a pm and I'll send you his phone number. He's been in the boating world for more than 50 years, a bit brutal with an honest opinion about boats, and doesn't pull any punches. And, he already has a boat and is not looking for another one.

Best of luck.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 12:39   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I suppose you could hire a surveyor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 14:32   #8

Thank you all for the mentions. I have hired a surveyor, and am getting a couple more specific inspections by other contractors that I would have done myself if in person. I'll end up with much more professional opinion on this boat than any I've purchased before. Makes me feel better.
Old 02-09-2020, 13:59   #9

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you crave a second opinion. see rich boren of third day. he has a business in la paz and is there.. may even know the boat in question, and is not interested in another boat..he has a force 50 third day. good people
I second that. Rich and Lori are very helpful trustworthy.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, la paz