Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 07:06   #1

Astrea 42 vs Lagoon 42, Comparison from Cannes

I had the opportunity to visit the Cannes Boat show and spend some good times comparing these two beautiful boats. Below are my 100% subjective findings. Happy to get them challenged.

Styling. The Astrea feels further ahead when it comes to design and styling. Aggressive outside look and the saloon with various levels makes a nicer interior. The Astrea has also completely flush deck hatches that looks great, maybe they are less sturdy than the Lagoon ones.

Size, The Lagoon 42 should be a bigger boat as per the dimensions, but it feels smaller. With less storage areas behind the trampoline.

Price, The Lagoon 42 is almost 10% cheaper. That goes for my “must have options” as with “barebone options”.

Helms Position, better view from the Lagoon 42. But the seat, and the separated wheel at the Astrea feels more thought through. The Lagoon offers a hard top bimini over the helm, you cant get that from the factory on the Astrea.

Cockpit etc, The Astrea has a far better cockpit. Rear settee, and possible bbq location in the aft is a winner. The sunbed on the top of the salon bimini on the Astrea is a winner too. Same goes for the forward sitting area.

Interior, as I said above. The styling of the Astrea is well performed. It creates a homely feeling. The Lagoon is more basic. At the same time the wood work on the Lagoon seems of slight better quality, with rounded edges. The dark standard wood on the Lagoon gives an exclusive look. I also lacked fridge/freezer space in the
The Astrea’s owners cabin, with a separate head and the longitude shower is very nice.
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 14:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Astrea 42 vs Lagoon 42, Comparison from Cannes

Did you ever wonder which one would sail better or this doesn't matter for you at all ?

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 15:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Did you ever wonder which one would sail better or this doesn't matter for you at all ?

Yeloya

Until you put them in several triangular races, at maximum load, and swap the crews you will never know the answer to that.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 16:25   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Yeloya
It’s interesting, I read the OPs total post and no where did it ask for smart ass responses. It always seems to be these seasoned posters that feel the need.

Ed91e appreciate the review.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 16:31   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
It’s interesting, I read the OPs total post and no where did it ask for smart ass responses. It always seems to be these seasoned posters that feel the need.

Ed91e appreciate the review.

Maybe I’m confused but are we comparing beach front condos or sailing boats?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 16:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Oh look there’s another one. He/she is at a boat show. Tough to give his/her impression of what it sails like from a walk through. I’d expect more from someone with over 3000 posts.
Old 18-09-2018, 16:43   #7

Quote:
He was at a boat show. I would argue that any REAL sailor would know that they don't let you take the boats out for a spin.

He mentioned helm position and visibility. What else could he offer there? Almost everyone I've spoken to says the performance differences between the big 3 are relatively negligible whereas the layouts have favorites.

ASAIK, the best boats also make excellent beach front property with lots of toys to explore.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 16:49   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42

One of the largest differences between the boats is the Lagoon mast placement with their reason for moving the mast aft, along with the helm lay out on the FP42. Theses boats have very different ideas on sailing.

Kent
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 16:52   #9
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
He was at a boat show. I would argue that any REAL sailor would know that they don't let you take the boats out for a spin.

He mentioned helm position and visibility. What else could he offer there? Almost everyone I've spoken to says the performance differences between the big 3 are relatively negligible whereas the layouts have favorites.

ASAIK, the best boats also make excellent beach front property with lots of toys to explore.

Yes he mentioned helm placement, but could the boat be easily singlehanded? Were the lines run to the helm or do you have to trip your way across the cockpit to sheet in the jib. Possible to dock the boat singlehanded? Visibility of the sails from the helm? Engine access and the ability to work on a hot engine in a rough seaway? Enclosed safe cockpit? Build quality? I could go on, just seems as if these points are of no interest to the majority of Catamaran buyers nowadays. It’s all about the creature comforts.
Old 18-09-2018, 17:42   #10

Quote:
Yes he mentioned helm placement, but could the boat be easily singlehanded? Were the lines run to the helm or do you have to trip your way across the cockpit to sheet in the jib. Possible to dock the boat singlehanded? Visibility of the sails from the helm? Engine access and the ability to work on a hot engine in a rough seaway? Enclosed safe cockpit? Build quality? I could go on, just seems as if these points are of no interest to the majority of Catamaran buyers nowadays. It’s all about the creature comforts.
Then why didn’t you ask these questions rather than make a smart ass statement? Because being a smart ass was your intent but you got called out on it twice. You’re a bully and like most bullies cower when someone calls them out.

My guess is you’re pissed. The OP is at Cannes and looking at boats a half a million more than what you own. Don’t hate. It’s okay, you got yourself a nice little coastal cruiser. I’m sure you offered some wisdom in one of those 3,992 posts.
Old 18-09-2018, 17:55   #11
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Then why didn’t you ask these questions rather than make a smart ass statement? Because being a smart ass was your intent but you got called out on it twice. You’re a bully and like most bullies cower when someone calls them out.

My guess is you’re pissed. The OP is at Cannes and looking at boats a half a million more than what you own. Don’t hate. It’s okay, you got yourself a nice little coastal cruiser. I’m sure you offered some wisdom in one of those 3,992 posts.

Wow, 31 posts and you’ve appointed yourself as the captain of the forum police, good on ya!
Bully? I’m guessing that would be you calling both Yeloya and myself smart asses.
No hate here, I actually own 2 catamarans, one actually located about 25 miles to the south of you and neither would be considered little coastal cruisers.
Old 19-09-2018, 02:37   #12

Wow... so much anger.

I didn't claim to make a complete review, just shared my own view.
I must admit I won't be able to judge build quality of the hull, by visual inspection. Instead I have to rely on professionals. Seems to be a lot of them here
Old 19-09-2018, 04:32   #13

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
I had the opportunity to visit the Cannes Boat show and spend some good times comparing these two beautiful boats. Below are my 100% subjective findings. Happy to get them challenged.

Styling. The Astrea feels further ahead when it comes to design and styling. Aggressive outside look and the saloon with various levels makes a nicer interior. The Astrea has also completely flush deck hatches that looks great, maybe they are less sturdy than the Lagoon ones.

Size, The Lagoon 42 should be a bigger boat as per the dimensions, but it feels smaller. With less storage areas behind the trampoline.

Price, The Lagoon 42 is almost 10% cheaper. That goes for my “must have options” as with “barebone options”.

Helms Position, better view from the Lagoon 42. But the seat, and the separated wheel at the Astrea feels more thought through. The Lagoon offers a hard top bimini over the helm, you cant get that from the factory on the Astrea.

Cockpit etc, The Astrea has a far better cockpit. Rear settee, and possible bbq location in the aft is a winner. The sunbed on the top of the salon bimini on the Astrea is a winner too. Same goes for the forward sitting area.

Interior, as I said above. The styling of the Astrea is well performed. It creates a homely feeling. The Lagoon is more basic. At the same time the wood work on the Lagoon seems of slight better quality, with rounded edges. The dark standard wood on the Lagoon gives an exclusive look. I also lacked fridge/freezer space in the
The Astrea’s owners cabin, with a separate head and the longitude shower is very nice.
Well this is a good subject two 42's very fair comparison from the two biggest manufactures, well ed91e I would have liked a more in depth opinion from you on the FP 42 steering setup the control wheel is quite remote from the winches, I think it's a poor setup compared to the Leopard and the Lagoon, one has to leave the wheel to adjust the sail, the Lagoon 42 has a great steering setup one can control everything from the wheel much better in my view. Now the other big difference is the Lagoon 42 has the mast set back and a self tacking jib, I don't mind the mast compression post set back in the cabin, something to lean on when sitting on the small seat, something to grab if one has had too many reds, heaven forbid! I agree FP42 have put together a very modern eye appealing craft, something I think they have overtaken the other two in is eye appeal which equates to sales appeal, I also think the storage is better in the FP42. I wonder how do they both sail there is a bit of info on the L42 I found on the net but nothing that I can find on the FP42 I guess it is too new at the minute. So how do we feel about the self tacker on the L42 has got to be a bit less of a hassle I have read the L42 needs the genoa to have any real turn of speed. others that have had some L42 experience may like to offer an opinion.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 04:54   #14

First, I need to state clearly that my experience of catamarans is mainly on a Nacra18, other than that i have sailed most mono-hulls. So my opinion might be less of value.

But from the look of it, I actually like the wheel to be separated. You have a clean setup while on the helm. Should you sail single handed, you probably engage the auto pilot anyway while adjusting the sails.

Self tacking jib, not sure that these catamarans are best in short tacking where a system like this comes handy. As you say, you probably get better use of a genoa anyway. The L42's mast position looks quite odd to be honest. Very big difference from the L45.
Old 19-09-2018, 05:34   #15
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
But from the look of it, I actually like the wheel to be separated. You have a clean setup while on the helm. Should you sail single handed, you probably engage the auto pilot anyway while adjusting the sails.

I tend to agree with you. But most importantly it is the access to winches which is probably better than the lagoons. My experience with L400 & L450S is that the helm station is a mess (well, say compared to a flybridge), access to winches quite difficult, especially for the smaller sailors, and you would easily pull/push the throttles unexpectedly. Also it seems rather easy on the FP to turn the wheel from the winch station if AP in standby.

I have never tried that FP helm style, but it sure looks good to me.

As far a performances are concerned the FP42 has more sail area, 106 vs 94 sqm w/ square top mainsail, and is allegedly is bit lighter at 11.5t vs 12.1t.

BTW, anyone knows what material are the sails of the FP42 on the website ? I can see it is from Incidences. Very nice !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon