Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 13:57   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch
Hauling an Alberg 30 on my own

Hello all,

I have found an appropriate 3-axle trailer for sale that was used to haul a Pearson 30, and having confirmed that my cradle would definitely fit on the trailer I am starting to seriously consider hauling my boat out with a Uhaul this fall (i.e. in the next month or so) and trailering it 4 miles home. Here's what I am aware of/ thinking about/ capable of, I'm hoping some of you can check me and give your opinions.

I step my mast with an a-frame, so down-rigging is taken care of.

I'll need a tongue extender for the trailer. Or to pull with a strap until trailer wheels can be chocked and its back end supported until the hitch is connected. I will probably have to reposition the boat on the cradle (haul up the ramp a bit and check, back it in again and reposition, haul up etc.) until I know the trailer isnt going to tip BACK as buoyancy support diminishes.

I technically need an oversize load permit.. Im .25 inches wide....

I need to determine the center of mass to place it over the middle axle.

Strapping the girl to the cradle, and trailer, and strapping the cradle to the trailer very very well.

Ill probably buy the insurance on the uhaul truck.
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 14:42   #2

Boat: Hunter 34
Re: Hauling an Alberg 30 on my own

Your boat your money. Make sure you're insured for any property damage you might cause outside of the uHaul for example to marina property.

I personally would try to find someone with experience in moving boats to help me the first time, but I'm a pretty conservative person. Even if you paid them once to do it and planned it out with them and still covered everything with your insurance, your chances of success go up and with informed confidence can do it solo or with a friend in the future without paying someone else. That first time will pay dividends.
Artey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 16:21   #3

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Almost two years ago I floated my Catalina 27 on my trailer so hopefully I can help.

My sailboat was in a tornado so the mast was removed for me! Can't help you there. The marina was rolled up and totaled.

The trailer must be deep in the water to float it on. Few ramps will allow this. You must consider the draft of your boat, the height of the trailer and angle of the trailer. I loaded it on a steep long ramp. It was in a deep lake in mountains with large water level swings so this helped with the ramp configuration.

We would position the sailboat on the trailer, tie it to the truck and try to pull it out. The ropes kept stretching or breaking and the boat would slip off the trailer. Finally we took a heavy ratchet strap around the back of a keel and secured it to the front of the trailer. Then we were able to keep the boat on the trailer.

It is possible to float a keel boat on a trailer but you have to get it right. Chose your ramp carefully. Bring help!

My Catalina 27 has similar draft and beam as your alberg 30.

Where are you located? If your near western Arkansas I will try to come help!

Thx-Ace
Old 09-09-2020, 17:34   #4

I'm up in Northern Mi, but hey man I really appreciate that offer. You're helping me out with your advice, making me think.

Roger on that strap.

We have frequent seiches here (especially in fall) and I can use one to some advantage if there be one for me. I really need to sound the ramps in my kayak at night, ha.
Old 09-09-2020, 17:55   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Here's an interesting article by James Baldwin (Atom Voyages) about trailering a very similar boat from Georgia to California. I think James has done a number of these delivery trips. Perhaps worth calling him direct.
Old 09-09-2020, 18:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The ramp in Elk Rapids is the deepest. Should be no problem other places, but a cradle on top a trailer is really high. Probably need atleast a 20’ extension and heavy rollers on the tongue.
Old 09-09-2020, 18:27   #7

When I got it on the trailer and up on the flat it wasn't that hard to pull. It was hard to stop though! I have a heavy 3/4 ton truck and it handles it fine. I knew someone who pulled a Catalina 27 200 miles through the ozark and ouachita mountains with a Toyota pickup but they are an idiot, terrain similar to the Keweenaw peninsula.

Use a 3/4 ton or larger truck and you will be fine.

I have a Catalina 22 and envisioned hauling and launching the 27 in a similar manner but I'm over that. My brother lives near St Petersburg FL and I sometimes take the Catalina 22 when I visit. The 27 is not suitable for this unless I use a lift. The ramps are not deep enough.

Are you a yooper?

I like the up and northern Michigan too. I'd love to come up again but its harvest season and I a farmer/rancher.

Thx-Ace
Old 09-09-2020, 18:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The ramp in Elk Rapids is the deepest. Should be no problem other places, but a cradle on top a trailer is really high. Probably need atleast a 20’ extension and heavy rollers on the tongue.
I've thought about jury rigging a large caster of some sort for a roller, I honestly had a moment where I thought "Ill use logs if I have to!".
But it'll probably be under 900 lbs or more, and of course that'll be on me to balance and insure it's not 2000 lbs, ha.
Elk rapids launch, ok, thanks, good to know. I'm wondering if Clinch could work as the water is still fairly high.
Old 09-09-2020, 18:56   #9

Boat: Columbia 50

I would suggest you have the boat lowered onto the cradle/trailer by travel-lift, same as if you were storing at the yard...

I used to do this regularly with my 25’ hunter

Much better than trying to get the frigging boat perfectly located in the cradle underwater...

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 19:01   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Scout your proposed trailer route with a 13'6" wooden pole for overhead obstructions. / Len
Old 09-09-2020, 19:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
When I got it on the trailer and up on the flat it wasn't that hard to pull. It was hard to stop though! I have a heavy 3/4 ton truck and it handles it fine. I knew someone who pulled a Catalina 27 200 miles through the ozark and ouachita mountains with a Toyota pickup but they are an idiot, terrain similar to the Keweenaw peninsula.

Use a 3/4 ton or larger truck and you will be fine.

I have a Catalina 22 and envisioned hauling and launching the 27 in a similar manner but I'm over that. My brother lives near St Petersburg FL and I sometimes take the Catalina 22 when I visit. The 27 is not suitable for this unless I use a lift. The ramps are not deep enough.

Are you a yooper?

I like the up and northern Michigan too. I'd love to come up again but its harvest season and I a farmer/rancher.

Thx-Ace
Hey thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like I need to back the trailer and cradle in before I do anything else.

I am not a Yooper (damn it parents, just a two-and-a-half drive north to the rest stop above the bridge but noooo) I'm a troll BUT I did go to Michigan Tech and, yeah wow. What a landscape!
Old 09-09-2020, 19:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Scout your proposed trailer route with a 13'6" wooden pole for overhead obstructions. / Len
I do need to look the whole route over and not assume I know, I may even be thanking you here tomorrow after I pay close attention, you never know. Ha!
thanks
Old 09-09-2020, 19:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I would suggest you have the boat lowered onto the cradle/trailer by travel-lift, same as if you were storing at the yard...

I used to do this regularly with my 25’ hunter

Much better than trying to get the frigging boat perfectly located in the cradle underwater...

Matt
I'd need calm as hell water too Im guessing. It does sound like a fiasco I may do at least once, but Ive been keeping the lift out option as really the one I may do this time. Do you happen to know if they report a tongue weight to you after loading?
Old 09-09-2020, 19:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Here's an interesting article by James Baldwin (Atom Voyages) about trailering a very similar boat from Georgia to California. I think James has done a number of these delivery trips. Perhaps worth calling him direct.
Ok, that's great thank you!
Old 09-09-2020, 19:27   #15

I don't think you all be too high. I was at 13+ but I went under everything. It is really tall on the trailer. If your concerned, run a rope from the tongue of the trailer, over the bow pulpit (make a turn in the rope there), over the cabin and tie off to the stern pulpit. That will guide any wires over it, old farmer trick. And if you break a phone line, they are the lowest, don't stop, just keep on trucking, you didn't see that!

I crossed state lines with mine on the interstate 40. I entered the weight station prepared to buy a permit but they gave me the green light to bypass the scales!

Thx-Ace

Tags
alberg, alberg 30