Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 17:03   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
Alberg 37 quality through the years

HI All,

While searching for a cruiser, I recently found what might be a VERY viable candidate very close to me, a 1984 Alberg 37. So I have been engaged in a crash course trying to educate myself on the A37. The A37 comes in two variants: the MK1 and the MK2 and was in production from the mid-60's to the mid-80's. The boat in question in according to the ad one on the last A37 Whitby made.

I have simple yet difficult (so far at least) to answer question: during the entire production run did Whitby adhere to layup schedule? In other words, were all A37 hulls (and deck and hull deck joint by extension) built to the same standard?

I know about the idea often bandied about that fiberglass hulls built before the 1974 oil embargo tend to have more resin the hulls built afterwards (though I can't personally attest to the validity of this idea) and I have also heard stories about quality going down as boat builders start going out of business (Whitby did go out of business about 4 or 5 years after this particular boat was build).

I'm planning to go see the boat next week and if all goes well possibly get the boat surveyed soon after. We'll see ...

Is this all just BS and I'm over thinking things?
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 19:49   #2

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
Re: Alberg 37 quality through the years

I guess maybe a as a more general question, is there any evidence that the quality of of Whitby boats declined as the company wound down production in the mid to late 80's?
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg