Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:27   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS
Re: New Jeanneau 50DS issues and resolutions

I have a 41DS with the plotter at the end of the cockpit table, centered between the wheels. The mount is not clearly visible, but it has a ball and release lever; so the screen can be set to face either wheel.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:37   #17

We just spent a week aboard a 2013 44DS and it was the same setup. You simply reach behind the plotter and flip a lever and then you can rotate and pivot the display unit at any angle toward either helm. Flip the lever back to lock it in place. After a little practice you can do it in one quick, fluid motion while moving between helms.
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:14   #18

I'm not familiar with your boat or pump but I've had experience with accumulator pumps in a house that wasn't connected to the mains.

Mine had a 10 litre tank with a car type air valve in it that the service book recommended using to adjust the air pressure in it periodically for the thing to work properly.
I can't remember the pressure needed but it wasn't huge.

It probably had way better ventilation than yours but it got used for all water into the house and property including sprinklers on the lawns.
Failing tank pressure problems this type of pump must have some type of pressure sensor/switch that you could check.
A pump like this I'd imagine to be priceless on a boat through not firing up in the middle of the night.
Hope this helps
Tony
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonem17 View Post
A pump like this I'd imagine to be priceless on a boat through not firing up in the middle of the night.
If that happens, ya got a leak somewhere.

Besides, I turn ours off at night anyway. Why leave the pressure in the system?

Before I leave the boat, I turn off the breaker, then open a faucet to bleed off the pressure, close the faucet and close the thru hull.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
Recently purchased a 2015 Jeanneau 50DS. I've spent a few weeks on it sailing from Philadelphia to Elizabeth City and back to to my home port in Huntington Bay, NY. Overall, I'm pleased with it but there a few issues that I'd like to get community experience and input on.
-The chart plotter is mounted on the aft base of the cockpit table between the two helms. It's impossible to see from the helm, especially if the sun is behind you. I've added a grip mount for my iPad to resolve the problem temporarily but want to move the plotter to the helm. Has anyone done this?
-The fresh water pump has a small holding chamber that is meant to reduce the pump from cycling on and off so much. Occasionally, the pump won't cycle at all and I have to temporarily jump the wires to get it work. I'm assuming when I jump the wire, it fills the holding chamber back up which allows the auto-cycle switch to start working again. I assume this is the problem as the first time it happened was when I emptied the tanks to flush the tanks after winter storage. Thoughts?
-Ceiling liner comes unattached. This was a problem from the first launch and continues to happen. I'm told by a dealer that the only way to fix it is to use screws and plastic button caps. They look terrible and interrupts the clean line design of the interior. Anyone have a better solution?
Re: water. You do not have air in the tank that should be there to compress and prevent constant cycling.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
Deacon mentioned it, but there are very different levels of velcro out there. I suggest looking for some that is of the heavier duty variety.

http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Industr.../dp/B00006RSP1

Tankersteve
It's not velcro or "hook & loop" that's needed, it's a product called "dual lock"

Â*Â*3Mâ„¢ Dual Lockâ„¢ Reclosable Fastener SJ3560

I use it on my ceiling panels. It works MUCH better than velcro.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
If that happens, ya got a leak somewhere.

Besides, I turn ours off at night anyway. Why leave the pressure in the system?

Before I leave the boat, I turn off the breaker, then open a faucet to bleed off the pressure, close the faucet and close the thru hull.
Yeah, the loo when someone flushes it.
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:53   #23

Boat: Beneteau 473

Deacon,

Our B473 has a similar chartplotter layout. We realized for us it was not so much the location as the angle. In our case we were able to flip the housing so the navpod was facing more up. It's not as easy to view as if it were up high at the helm but we generally prefer all of our electronics down low sailing. And the raymarine A125 is totally satisfactory at the new up angle, and even better with the low profile wired remote right at the helm.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 13:11   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Strong velcro will fix your headliner issue for a few years, but I think that the screws with the plastic caps will be in the future of your ceiling... at some point. Welcome to the DS club!
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 16:46   #25

Boat: Tayana 52

What chart plotter do you have? We use a raymarine 120 with the iPad app and can use the iPad to access the chart plotter from anywhere on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 16:52   #26

Did you buy the boat from Coney's?
Why not let them take a crack at it?
They are pretty stand-up guys. Especially since they are right there in Huntington.
Did you have a falling out with them?
weinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 18:54   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
You stated that this is a 2015. Why is the dealer not dealing with your issues? The headliner should work as designed and I cannot imagine that Jeanneau thinks that it should not. The pump, unless damaged when putting the boat away last year, should be the same. I believe that is the designed position for the chartplotter. Had the same problem you do when sailing a Jeanneau 37. I would hate to think that the only answer is one at each helm.
I agree, the dealer should definitely cure the pump/accumulator problem, without a doubt. With the headliners, try velcro tape, works for us.

Bob
drrmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 22:57   #28

If it's a standard Jeanneau install, then I suppose the MFD is the RM a125 and I guess that this is how it's installed?

I have my MFD in the same position, albeit on a smaller Jeanneau, but I have the smaller e7 and don't have a problem with it. Maybe I have it angled differently or maybe I have not sailed with the sun behind me when it's low on the horizon.

Anyway, if you can't live with it like that, you can always mount it like they did on this 50DS

Although I think I'd choose the Scanstrut DeckPod over the housing used in that photo

BTW I started using an iPad and it was terrible on a sunny day and absolutely useless on a bright overcast day
Old 11-05-2016, 17:49   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO519

We are preparing our "cruiser" to race to Maui in July. We have been up close and personal with just about every system and put eyes on almost every square inch.

Ceiling panels have been down several times to mount deck hardware. The plastic snap in clips break. The heavy "dual lock" is you friend to keep them in place invisibly. We are using it in many other areas such as to secure wiring and connectors so they can be pulled down and then tucked back away easily. If we launch off a wave I don't want a can of beans breaking a connector strip (which could happen where the factory had them located).

You may have a pressure switch issue with the water pump. Check the air pressure in you accumulator.

We removed the cockpit table and don't miss it. At some point we will build a removable smaller table.

We had the factory install the minimum electronics so they would still have to install the data backbone. We spent a bunch of time on the boat with cardboard mock-ups to decide where to install everything. We now have an E95 and I-70 at each steering station and like their functionality. We've done a little cruising and quite a bit of racing and like the layout. One large display in the center just wouldn't work for us when driving sitting outboard of the wheel anyway. Old eyes can't see that far...

We are installing four Garmin 10" mast displays under the boom for the rest of the crew...

The starboard station has left to right:

Handheld remote VHF (Needs to be on deck and we also have a remote speaker located just below the handset. Another handset is at the nav station).
Auto pilot
i70
Bow thruster
E95
Remote keypad (when we need to deactivate the touch control)
Seattle 519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 23:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle 519 View Post
E95
Remote keypad (when we need to deactivate the touch control)
Don't you mean a95, the e95 has touch and the keypad built in

Tags
jeanneau