Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 17:39   #1

Boat: Hobie 16; Mastercraft prostar 205
Tartan 30 or Pearson 33

Hello everyone. I haven't been on for a while.

My daughter and her boyfriend are looking to buy a sailboat for next season.They are living in Washburn Wisconsin which if you aren't familiar is on lake Superior and very near to the Apostle islands which is a wonderful cruising area. I live 600 miles away and it is hard for me to get there to help,inspect and guide her.

They are looking at a 1974 Tartan 30 and also a Pearson 33 of similar age.
There is also a 1974 islander 36 in the area . I have a lifetime of experience with boats but am unfamiliar with these models.

I don't have enough information as to equipment condition etc.and realize this is a little vague.
What I am asking for are things like what to look out for with each of these models, things you like or dislike, sailing characteristics,quality or lack there of, pros and cons etc., etc.

Looking at yacht world it looks like a lot but not all of the similar Tartans have gasoline engines. Not sure what this particular boat has. Don't want to debate gas vs diesel so please lets not go there. In my opinion a gas engine would be a deal breaker.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Cdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 17:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
Re: Tartan 30 or Pearson 33

Cdreamin,

These are the same two boats I came down to in my own search a few years ago. I focused on the Tarton, I loved the lines and gave sea trial to one in Casco Bay. It sailed beautifully but failed the survey, needing a lot of work. I found another Tarton, newer and in better condition but with a less desirable layout (for me). I was ready to pull the trigger but the owner changed their mind. Turns out it was Kismet because I stumbled across a Pearson 33 in excellent shape (The Surveyor said "if you don't buy this boat I will!") She had been very well cared for, heavy, spacious, beamy and consistently performs in both speed and comfort. Good water and fuel storage, and my Yanmar diesel has not skipped a beat. I can't say the Tartan would have been a bad choice but my Pearson has not disappointed at all.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson