Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 13:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34
Looking to install new deck organizer on Beneteau 34

My Oceanis 34 (Dreamweaver) has two Spinlock deck organizers (3 sheaves each) installed one on top of each other on the port side back of the mast. I want to duplicate this setup on the starboard side for a spinnaker setup. Beneteau has a preformed step for this however I am not sure how to install the organizer. The bolts on the one currently installed do not come through the coach roof unlike those for the clutches and winches.

Does anyone here know how this is installed?
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:53   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Looking to install new deck organizer on Beneteau 34

Cap,
What is a "preformed step?" In regards to your installation, proper hardware installation requires through-bolting. Do you have a headliner that ,perhaps, is covering your deck organizer installation? The only other possibility is a threaded stainless steel plate that is part of the fiberglass layup. I think we need some more information in order to solve your problem. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 03-01-2018, 09:56   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I believe the pad has an alloy plate embedded between the inner and outer skin of the coach roof that is tapped for the mounting bolts. You might confirm that by contacting Ward Richardson at BeneteauUSA who can be reached at 01-843-629-5300. (His office is on US East Coast Standard time so you'll need to place your call accordingly.) Ward is very knowledgeable and usually very helpful.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 16:17   #4

Thanks for the quick replies Rognvald and svHyLyte.
Rognvald - The 'step' I am referring to is a raised portion of the fibreglass that the deck organizer is bolted to. I'll try to post some jpegs. There is no headliner in the area under them and the existing one is NOT bolted through (unlike the existing winch and clutches).

svHyLyte - Thank you for the contact info. I have reached out to the Beneteau representative here is Oz and will give them some time to reply before calling overseas.

I think you are both right in that there is likely a plate (SS or Al) embedded in the step. I doubt it would have threaded holes but who knows.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:24   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by capblasters View Post
Thanks for the quick replies Rognvald and svHyLyte.
Rognvald - The 'step' I am referring to is a raised portion of the fibreglass that the deck organizer is bolted to. I'll try to post some jpegs. There is no headliner in the area under them and the existing one is NOT bolted through (unlike the existing winch and clutches).

svHyLyte - Thank you for the contact info. I have reached out to the Beneteau representative here is Oz and will give them some time to reply before calling overseas.

I think you are both right in that there is likely a plate (SS or Al) embedded in the step. I doubt it would have threaded holes but who knows.

If the plate is there as I expect, you'll have to tap it for the threads you need for your mounting bolts. Don't over-bore the pilot hole or you'll go all the way through the headliner.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
If the plate is there as I expect, you'll have to tap it for the threads you need for your mounting bolts. Don't over-bore the pilot hole or you'll go all the way through the headliner.

Areas where fittings are fixed through deck generally need to be solid. I've reinforced. You would need to determine if the area on the opposite side is intended for this use. Something Benetau could advise. If it is not then reinforcing needs to be added. The concern is compression of the deck from the through deck bolts. One way of reinforcing the area is using the proposed top bearing plate as a guide drill the top part of the deck through the sandwich medium but not through the inside glass layer. Then invest the hole and area around the hole with resin allowing the resin to soak into the sandwich. Once it has gone off re drill right through and bolt up the filling and the top and bottom plate.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:39   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

One last thought, Cap: if the mountings are deck organizers that route sheets/lines on a horizontal plane, they do not need the same re-inforcement that is required for a fitting/block that has a vertical load such as a halyard/mainsheet block. This is why it has not been reinforced below. However, if I had the space, I would do a proper mounting with a backing plate. Overkill on a cruising vs. recreational vessel is not a bad thing. I hope this helps you. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 11-01-2018, 11:26   #8

Thanks again folks. I am still waiting on an answer from Beneteau before going any further.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:14   #9

The local Beneteau dealer in Sydney (Flagstaff Marine) has been very helpful and has confirmed there is a plate sandwiched in the fibreglass. I am now waiting on the bolts to arrive before drilling and tapping the M8 holes for the deck organiser. I will heed the advice provided and start with a small pilot hole to confirm the metal plate is in fact there. Then drill a hole appropriate for the M8 tap (6.9mm I think but to be confirmed) and I will use a drill stop to prevent drilling too deep. Will let you'll know later this week - hopefully!! So far its been raining and fresh winds on the mooring. Some how the weather gods knew I was on vacation!
Old 06-02-2018, 01:33   #10

Big surprise - there is not alloy plate embedded in the fibreglass. I drilled a small pilot hole only to find after about 5mm of glass, there is nothing then there is some more glass - presumably the ceiling of the saloon.

So then I took apart the port side to see how it was installed. What I found in each hole can best be described (by me anyway) as an heavy walled SS pipe or long collar (25-40mm) ending in about 10mm of thread. There is a close up photo below (don’t pay much attention to the silicone caulking leftovers). This is followed by a void and then a hard surface (again, likely the ceiling). I’ve sketched what I think a cross section might look like.

Does anyone know what this might be? The organiser bolts are M8x90mm with about half of that going into the raised sections.

Thanks,

Graham

p.s. some photos and a sketch attached (I hope):

Tags
beneteau, deck