Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 05:37   #1

Boat: FP Lucia 40
FSBO Market - US East Coast

Hello,

Curious if anyone knows of any CURRENT and reliable for sale by owner sites? Been watching the brokerage market for months with no luck.https://www.cruisersforum.com/images...s/banghead.gif Been hesitant to start searching fsbo sites so far. Any help greatly appreciated!!
optout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: FSBO Market

If you fill in your profile members will know were you are and be able to help. I could list a couple of UK sites, but suspect they may not be what you are looking for leading to more banging heads.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:51   #3

Re: FSBO Market - US East Coast

Thanks for the response. I'd like to find a boat in the Caribbean as I'm on the east coast of the u.s. and at this point, I think it'll be pretty hard to get a boat here from Europe anytime soon.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Opt out,

I think he meant to fill out the information in your profile. That thing that asks where your are, what kind of boat, etc. Sort of just basic info so when you ask a question someone can go there to put it into perspective. Once done save a lot of reasoning.

That said let me throw out a wild idea. Why not contact marinas directly? If you are looking for bargain boats they may either have some that have been abandoned or know of someone in a tough position.

I would not do that just to window shop, but if you are serious and have some rough parameters ( monohull, 40-46 feet, center cockpit, younger than 1985) you might get a bight. I would also call Indian River in central Florida and Green Cove Springs bear Jacksonville. Both are dream cemeteries for cruisers. Indian River is limited to 55’ air draft I think, so no big boats there.

Hardly an exhaustive list, just a starter.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:19   #5

thanks hpeer. After his post I did put in some more info. I'm on the east coast of the u.s and currently don't own a boat. Not comfortable putting anything more personal than that on a forum website
Old 11-04-2020, 10:24   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

No, that's fine, just an idea of your location is needed as this really is an international Forum. The Aussies will be along shortly once they have had coffee.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Opt out,

I think he meant to fill out the information in your profile. That thing that asks where your are, what kind of boat, etc. Sort of just basic info so when you ask a question someone can go there to put it into perspective. Once done save a lot of reasoning.

That said let me throw out a wild idea. Why not contact marinas directly? If you are looking for bargain boats they may either have some that have been abandoned or know of someone in a tough position.

I would not do that just to window shop, but if you are serious and have some rough parameters ( monohull, 40-46 feet, center cockpit, younger than 1985) you might get a bight. I would also call Indian River in central Florida and Green Cove Springs bear Jacksonville. Both are dream cemeteries for cruisers. Indian River is limited to 55’ air draft I think, so no big boats there.

Wow. That's excellent info. Never would have thought of that approach. I'm looking for a 40ft cat. 2013 or newer.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
No, that's fine, just an idea of your location is needed as this really is an international Forum. The Aussies will be along shortly once they have had coffee.

Pete
haha. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Opt out,

Curious..... what makes this the case for these marinas?
Old 11-04-2020, 10:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

apocryphal Tale but It is said many cruisers set out from Europe and only get as far as the Caribbean before deciding it’s not for them. Grenada, Antigua for English boats, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St Martin for French boats. I would look here first with a bigger budget. Grenada especially, there are only 4 haul marinas.

Get the AquaMap application for you phone. I thinks it’s like $40. Free download of USA charts and access to Active Captain data. That will give you the basic contact information for every yard along with location. You may need to buy the Navionics charts for South America, $25. It’s a real time saver and gets you oriented geographically.

Indian River and Green Cove Springs are cheap hurricane holes. It’s a slog to get back to the Caribbean from there. So the work to refit and then beat back down is a barrier. More budget minded here.

Mind you this is recommendation, a guess, I’d be interested in your findings.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:01   #11

Makes sense. I've been scouring internet listings for months... it never occurred to me that there might be a good number of boats for sale but not actually listed anywhere. Great advice
Old 12-04-2020, 09:16   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I second hpeer's recommendation. At our marina (sorry, wrong coast) boats of various sizes, ages and states of repair are abandoned for many reasons - death, divorce, loss of income, etc. Some of these are worth a look.

Example 1980's Gulfstar ketch about 50'right across from our boat. Exterior is moldy and covered in bird crap, but has SS dorades and the canvas is in good tick. It maintains it's level at the waterline so no severe leaks. I've looked through the ports and it looks really good below. Never, ever seen anyone on it.

Last weekend I met the couple who own it. They're from Seattle and just had to close their four shoe stores, perhaps permanently, they don't know. They've always paid the dockage but were just too damn busy to take time to sail. Now they're pretty sure the boat will have to go, just to save dockage fees. Yeah, now that their market has evaporated they want to sell their moldy (but otherwise good) boat.

If I was in the market to buy I'd contact every marina within driving distance and ask what boats they know of for sale. These are probably not advertised and very probably need some work, but I know our marina doesn't want to be inundated with abandoned boats, so who knows?

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I second hpeer's recommendation. At our marina (sorry, wrong coast) boats of various sizes, ages and states of repair are abandoned for many reasons - death, divorce, loss of income, etc. Some of these are worth a look.

Example 1980's Gulfstar ketch about 50'right across from our boat. Exterior is moldy and covered in bird crap, but has SS dorades and the canvas is in good tick. It maintains it's level at the waterline so no severe leaks. I've looked through the ports and it looks really good below. Never, ever seen anyone on it.

Last weekend I met the couple who own it. They're from Seattle and just had to close their four shoe stores, perhaps permanently, they don't know. They've always paid the dockage but were just too damn busy to take time to sail. Now they're pretty sure the boat will have to go, just to save dockage fees. Yeah, now that their market has evaporated they want to sell their moldy (but otherwise good) boat.

If I was in the market to buy I'd contact every marina within driving distance and ask what boats they know of for sale. These are probably not advertised and very probably need some work, but I know our marina doesn't want to be inundated with abandoned boats, so who knows?

Good luck!
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I haven't started calling yet but my gut says this is probably the way I end up in a boat.

I responded to a fsbo listing and got the "boat is sold but we have this brand new one" response..(imagine that). A little bit of back and forth out of curiosity and it's actually a good deal assuming it's real.

Is there a general consensys on what the current state of affairs is going to do to the new boat market? Especially for boats that have been manufactured already but not sold yet?
Old 12-04-2020, 10:42   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

in response to the OP

My favourites
craigslist, facebook marketplace, boatrader.com, themariner.com, sailboatlistings.com
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:45   #15

Boat: H280

Facebook pages are great to view/watch. Sailboats- For Sale by Owner Only, Sailing vessels for sale by owner, Great Sailboats for Sale.... There are several.
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast