Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 02:39   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Where to stop on US East coast

I’m looking for suggestions.
I’m currently in Salvador, Brazil and headed north early March. I’m looking for a place to stop for the hurricane season that;
Is in the US.
I can live aboard at anchor for up to one year. (No marinas)
Is at least mostly safe if not 100% safe from hurricanes.
My cruising kitty is depleted and I will be stopping to work to earn money to transit the Panama Canal. So bigger metro areas are preferred for more work opportunities.
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 03:46   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Where to stop on US East coast

Are you an American? Or do you have a work visa?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 04:14   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have full time work and a spot in Florida if you have a good work ethic.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 05:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Are you an American? Or do you have a work visa?
American.
Old 14-02-2020, 05:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I have full time work and a spot in Florida if you have a good work ethic.
Thank you. I don’t expect to have difficulties finding work. My concern is hurricanes. Is your spot in Florida safe from them?
Old 14-02-2020, 06:14   #6

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Just for the record, there is no place on the East Coast of the U.S. that is 100% safe from hurricanes. With climate change, hurricanes also are becoming more frequent and more severe.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 06:49   #7

Understood. But some places are very dangerous and not worth the risk, and others the risk is relatively low. My preference would be to head through the canal and back to my home port in California this year. But, as I am completely out of money that’s not an option. So I’m looking for a reasonable place to sit and work for awhile until I can afford to sail back home.
Old 14-02-2020, 07:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Understood. But some places are very dangerous and not worth the risk, and others the risk is relatively low. My preference would be to head through the canal and back to my home port in California this year. But, as I am completely out of money that’s not an option. So I’m looking for a reasonable place to sit and work for awhile until I can afford to sail back home.
Central Gulf Coast of Florida sees fewer and less intense storms than southern Florida and the panhandle area. Tampa/St Pete is the largest metro area, but there are decent population centers along the 150 mile corridor from Ft Myers to Tampa. It's been over 40-years since St Pete has had a direct hit by a major storm. That said, every 10-years or so, something comes along that makes evacuation prudent. Hurricane Charlie in 2004, a Cat 4 or 5, had St Pete in his sights but turned earlier than predicted and spanked Punta Gorda hard (near Ft Myers). 2-years ago, Hurricane Irma was supposed to sweep the entire coast with full 'dirty side' Cat 5 force but made a last minute shift putting the area on the 'clean' side of the 'cane, so just a ton of clean-up and power outages.

Even though the geometry of how hurricanes form (both Atlantic and Gulf hurricanes) mean west coast of central Florida is less likely to see a hurricane compared to the rest of coastal Florida, there is nothing that it won't happen, perhaps more than one in a single season. I'm sure a similar case can be made for many areas all the way up to the Chesapeake
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:51   #9

From the National Hurricane Center showing historical tracks (messy, but look at the colorations for coastal areas - lighter shading better than darker areas). If this data is accurate, looks like Jacksonville FL is also in a relatively low-risk area. Actually, slightly lower risk of storm than Tampa/St Pete.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurrican Tracks.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	208683
https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 09:57   #10

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35

Hurricanes and Cyclones are always something to consider carefully. However, the assertion that they are increasing in severity and frequency is erroneous.

The UN Climate Panel found in its latest report that hurricanes (aka tropical cyclones) haven’t increased: “Current datasets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century.” For the United States, the trend of all land-falling hurricanes has been falling since 1900, as has that of major hurricanes. In the 51 years from 1915, Florida and the Atlantic coast were hit by 19 major hurricanes. In the 51 years to 2016, just seven. In the last 11 years, only two hurricanes greater than category 3 hit the continental USA — a record low since 1900. From 1915 to 1926, 12 hit.
stbdtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 10:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbdtack View Post
Hurricanes and Cyclones are always something to consider carefully. However, the assertion that they are increasing in severity and frequency is erroneous.

The UN Climate Panel found in its latest report that hurricanes (aka tropical cyclones) haven’t increased: “Current datasets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century.” For the United States, the trend of all land-falling hurricanes has been falling since 1900, as has that of major hurricanes. In the 51 years from 1915, Florida and the Atlantic coast were hit by 19 major hurricanes. In the 51 years to 2016, just seven. In the last 11 years, only two hurricanes greater than category 3 hit the continental USA — a record low since 1900. From 1915 to 1926, 12 hit.
You should know better - there's no place for facts when 'climate change' is being discussed.
Old 14-02-2020, 10:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
American.
You'd be fairly safe from hurricanes north of N Carolina, or further inland. I don't know the various rules from state to state as far as anchoring rules, but imagine you could anchor in the upper St John's river in northern Florida. Close to Jacksonville, though getting around might be challenging. Northern Fl is relatively infrequent getting hit by hurricanes, and that part of the river is 20 miles inland, so somewhat abated winds/surge/etc.
Old 14-02-2020, 10:31   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

And it depends on the kind of work you want to do, if you rely on transit, or are allergic to cold.

Larger urban centers would be Charleston or Savanna or Norfolk.

I’ll be silent about Florida, many others here Ins better than me.

BUT you might also want to think about San Juan or the VI’s.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 10:47   #14

Reference:

http://https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 11:04   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Also on the Neuse River at New Bern, NC.

To my knowledge the big threat there is the river flooding and debris sweeping down.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast