Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 04:22   #1

Beneteau 32s5 Vs Hunter Horizon 23

Hello to everyone

My first post here, Hope is in the correct forum

I have just finished the Day Skipper course, and have almost no previous sailing experience. Planning to buy my first Boat. The choice is between Beneteau First 32s5 (1990) Vs Hunter Horizon 23 (twin kill)
Both of them are more or less in good condition, but the Beneteau needs more work. And ofcourse the price, Hunter is 5 times cheaper). I Understand that this are 2 very different type of boats and that Beneteau 32s5 is a much better yacht. But which one is better for a beginner
The question is shall I start with the Hunter 23, gain some experience and then move to a bigger yacht? Or shall I just go with the Beneteau 32s5 and learn on it.
I am planning to do weekend coastal sailings and most of the time single handed
Any advice will be highly appreciated )
sail.gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:46   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Beneteau 32s5 Vs Hunter Horizon 23

If you question is really"which is the better boat for a beginner to learn on", it doesn't really matter. Get the one you like best.
Old 29-10-2018, 06:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau 32s5 Vs Hunter Horizon 23

I take it you are a Brit as its a Brit Hunter..
I would say go with the bilge keeler for a couple of years before moving up..
They are good enough to w/end annd holiday on in reasonable comfort for two.
The UK has big tidal ranges and the shallower draft will be an asset.. also if you do get caught by the tide you sit upright instead of on your side.
Savings is another reason.. drying moorings are cheap.. just go for one thats sheltered.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 06:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I second what boatman has said. We also have a bilge keeler which in the UK is great for seeking out shallow anchorages and cheaper moorings.

For the sort of money you will pay for a Hunter 23 in the UK, they will always be a market to resell them if in a few years you want to move on.

If you are going to single hand then a tiller pilot is invaluable and I used one for a decade when single handing. Not cheap at £500 new or £250 on e bay, but it enables you to leave the tiller to raise and lower the sails, or make a cup of tea without wandering off course. Only downside is they don't like getting wet so buy the cover off e bay for it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:44   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 29

Hi,

I highly recommend the Beneteau First series. I have owned a 1985 First 29 for 10 seasons now. I have also raced extensively on a 42s7.

The First series sails very well and is very nimble in the harbor. I have sailed the Hunter 32s from the early 2000s and was disappointed in the sailing characteristics.

Fair winds!
Captain Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:50   #6

I would say that the Beneteau is a lot of boat to begin learning singlehanded sailing. You can do a lot of damage with a 4 ton boat. 1.25 tons not so much.

You will sail a lot more with the Hunter because you'll be much more comfortable by yourself from the off.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I learned on a 36' boat with no classes and very limited sailing experience but everyone learns and reacts differently.

The smaller boat will of course be easier but 30-32' isn't that much bigger or more difficult. If you plan any over-nighting with a friend or two the 23 might be a bit small.

Which boat is better condition? Which is a better deal? Which one do you like better?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:09   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

If I remember, the First is a one design and always in demand.

Without undue bias, any Hunter is a load of ugly rubbish. Something you will soon regret buying for a raft of reasons.

Things a usually cheap with good reason.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 10:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
If I remember, the First is a one design and always in demand.

Without undue bias, any Hunter is a load of ugly rubbish. Something you will soon regret buying for a raft of reasons.

Things a usually cheap with good reason.
Dont look ugly to me.. and theyre cheap (£7000/£10000) because theyre getting on for 30yrs old in some cases.
Better a cheap well built small boat with its smaller overheads will do him just fine while he learns and finds the type of boat he wants when he's ready to go further.
The Hunter is capable of crossing to France and the Channel Islands when he has mastered some skills and learnt more about the sailing he wants to do..
He might even find its all he wants..
Who knows..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	j94109-ashore1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	179830   Click image for larger version

Name:	g2905-saloon-wa.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	179831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	g2905-charts.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	179832  

Old 29-10-2018, 10:09   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Yes, no bias in that was there? How's my wife and kids look to you?
Old 29-10-2018, 10:22   #11

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

You have far more options than your question implies and I would approach this in a different way. Everyone has their own favourites. I had a smaller Hunter for a year and some slightly terrifying sailing then a Beneteau First 285 for 10 years. There is no easy comparison. There are also thousands of very nice boats on the market.

I would establish how much you are willing to spend on a boat and then take 30% off that amount and set it aside for improvements. In addition think about the type of sailing you want to do and how far you want to go – weekends away? Coastal cruising? Cross Channel if you are in the UK? Longer trips? Do you want to be able to take the ground and dry out? If so look for a bilge keeler or lifting keeler. Do you want to get involved in club racing? If so you want a fin keel with good lines and a good racing pedigree. How many people do you expect to be sailing with? Just you single handed? In which case make sure everything on deck is in easy reach. With a few crew? Then you need a boat with reasonable accommodation. Does the boat's saloon seats convert into berths? Does it have lee cloths? With novices? But something safe and sturdy, at least for a few years.

There are thousands of boats available for sale and you may be able to secure a really good boat at a keen price. But you need to go out there and look. Crawl all over a few boats and find what you feel comfortable with in terms of where everything is positioned. How would you cope with it on your own? Would you feel comfortable bringing it onto a buoy or into a marina? If not, then look at something smaller.

I recently took my 33 footer out singlehanded in a Force 5 gusting up to 25 knots (force 6). I had a brisk and quite lively sail but never once did I feel anxious. That wasn’t about me, that was about the boat I chose.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 10:24   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are nothing to do with Hunter USA.. its a Brit boat.

One of Britain’s most prolific yacht designers, David Thomas made his name with classics such as the Impala, Elizabethan, Sonata, Hunter 707 and the Sigma range. The Sigma 38 celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 2013 – we take a look back at how David Thomas came to produce one the most popular One Design Racer Cruisers and the other popular designs he created.

For more follow the link..
https://equinoxsailing.com/david-thomas/

Old 29-10-2018, 11:33   #13

Wow !
Thank you guys! Different opinions here but I really appreciate each one of your comments and advises! They are very helpful
Sailorboy1_ I like the Beneteau, but I feel more confident on the hunter
boatman61 _ I am in Cyprus, but the seller of the Hunter is British) and The boat was also made in Britain.
Pete7_ The Hunter already has a Tiller Pilot installed + Self Tacking Jib. The Bene is with steering wheel and autopilot.
Capitain Ivan_ Thank you!
Grahamj_ Thank you ! excellent advice!
Skipmac_ I am not planning any overnights on the boat. The beneteau is a great boat, I find out today that it will need new sails (I thought they were serviceable) and new sheets, which makes it over my budget.
Didn't find any issues on the Hunter except mildew/damp smell in the cabin_ i think i will be able to get read of it.
Old 29-10-2018, 11:58   #14

Alita49DS
I don't think any of these boats are ugly

Paul Kelly
Thanks! I'm in Cyprus, Planning coastal day time cruising, no racing. Initially I am planing to go sailing alone single handed. But when friends will find out that I have a boat I'm sure they will ask to go with me, in that case + 2/3 persons max. Local marina is always crowded, therefore I think I will feel more comfortable on a smaller boat. The only disadvantage of a smaller boat is the head room, I am 1.8 m tall and the headroom in the Hunter is 1.77...
Old 29-10-2018, 12:39   #15

Boat: GibSea 352

I had the bigger Hunter 26 as my first boat. It's similar and not really good for overnighting or long journeys. So, the 23 would be less so.

But the twin keeled Hunter makes a great first boat. You'll learn loads without taking too much risk. It's great for a day sail.

Headroom on the 26 was fine and probably similar to the 23. Besides, you don't spend much time below!
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, hunter