Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 04:28   #1

Hallberg Rassy 352

Hello to you all, I am new to the forum and looking for information on the HR 352, a possible purchase in the future. Does anybody have experience with sailing performance, issues in general or any information relating to the HR352 would be most welcome.
Many thanks
Wave
Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 05:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hallberg Rassy 352

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wave.

http://www.hallberg-rassy.com/hr352/hr352.shtml

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:02   #3

Boat: Comet 41s

You could buy for that price more modern boats from that era:
Sideview of Hallberg-Rassy 352
http://www.hallberg-rassy.com/hr352/352draw.shtml
The boat has a lot of ballast but the low draft and the way the keel is built makes it very inefficient (that's why he needs so much).
Compare with the modern 342:
http://www.hallberg-rassy.com/filead...42interior.pdf

The boat is very well built, with a good quality interior, it has a small sail area for the weight, the sail performance is not good with weak or medium weak winds and sails well with medium to strong winds.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53   #4

Hi thanks for the replies interesting not many of them, not sure what that says about HR352?

Wave
Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

It seems that I am the only one that reply to you. Just to say that is one making this year ARC and doing well. With relatively strong winds, that you will find sailing on the trade winds, no problem, great small sailing boat. If you sail on regions with weak winds that's a bad choice. I had already said that, the performance of that boat on the ARC confirms that. A fast boat can go slow, if badly sailed, but a really slow boat cannot go well even if very well sailed

This video shows the boat sails well with strong winds:

Even if I don't believe with those winds he mention: With less that dinghy on the water would be capsized
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:18   #6

Never had one but I think a HR352 is a great choice for cruising. I especially like the underbody for cruising and offshore. The interior is great too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 22:59   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Hey guys, thanks for bringing this one up. Ive been researching the 352 quite a lot and have looked at the 38 also. I know there is an HR owners group, and that there were over 800 of the 352 made. There are quite a few cruisers sailing them on instagram doing the rounds also. I guess what would be good to know is what an owner thinks- objectively- if thats even possible with a boat that you love, and can be as large and unspecific a ramble as you'd like. Thanks for the earlier comments on the 342 but they tend to jump up quite a lot in price- at the least 40k or at least thats what Ive seen. And you cant go past the proven nature of the boat. Realise this thread might be dead. I just noticed the date
Fair winds.
greybeardloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 07:02   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It seems that I am the only one that reply to you. Just to say that is one making this year ARC and doing well. With relatively strong winds, that you will find sailing on the trade winds, no problem, great small sailing boat. If you sail on regions with weak winds that's a bad choice. I had already said that, the performance of that boat on the ARC confirms that. A fast boat can go slow, if badly sailed, but a really slow boat cannot go well even if very well sailed

This video shows the boat sails well with strong winds:

Even if I don't believe with those winds he mention: With less that dinghy on the water would be capsized

How many, except racers, would sail on that angle of heel while cruising? One could easily reduce sail/angle of heel without sacrificing overall speed while placing less stress on the boat/rigging and a more comfortable ride. For most cruisers, a difference of 0.2 of a knot would not be critical. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. I have always admired the HR line of sailboats. Those I have seen are very well built boats.
Old 18-02-2017, 23:54   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
How many, except racers, would sail on that angle of heel while cruising? One could easily reduce sail/angle of heel without sacrificing overall speed while placing less stress on the boat/rigging and a more comfortable ride. For most cruisers, a difference of 0.2 of a knot would not be critical. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. I have always admired the HR line of sailboats. Those I have seen are very well built boats.

Thanks rognvald[emoji3]good observation- I think they were flying for the hell of it. Hey we've all been there.. The Hallberg Rassy line are good aren't they. A bit IKEA if you know what I mean, but they look solid.
greybeardloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hallberg rassy