Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 11:54   #1

Boat: 35.5 Hunter Legend
1991 35.5 Hunter Legend

Help find my leak! I've had my Hunter for 13 years, which has been free of any leaks, until we had her outfitted this past Fall with a pair of davits, upon which we mounted a pair of solar panels. This was done in preparation for an intended 3-month cruise into the Bahamas. However, as he headed down the ICW under sail and/or power, we came to discover that water was trickling into our starboard compartments under our quarter berth. We could see that it was coming from under the platform that I had previously constructed for both banks of batteries and the replacement holding tank, which I had installed previously. I have determined it is not coming from the exhaust hose or its thru-hull, and not thru the stern lazarettes or above-water vents for the propane and holding tank. I mentioned the Davits, etc., because of the additional weight of approximately 300 lbs. to the stern, when I also have the inflatable on the davits and the 67 lb. outboard mounted on the stern rail, which does push the stern down some below the natural waterline. That said, water does not enter the boat when we are flat on the water, whether under power or sailing with the wind at our back. However, the more we are heeled over on either tack, the more water that enters the boat; up to several gallons at the end of a day's hard sail into the wind.
She is up on the hard at the yard, and I have told them I can only think it has something to do with the rudder post, which would require hours of labor to access and examine, but they assure me that can't be it. Any thoughts??
Kinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 13:38   #2

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5
Re: 1991 35.5 Hunter Legend

I am also a 35.5 legend owner. I suspect you are describing cracked rudderpost tube since this is happening on either tack. You describe more water ingress the more you are heeled. I would assume the more pressure is placed on the rudderpost and the rudderpost tube. If there is indeed a crack in the rudderpost tube, then is wouldn't open up on flat water or under power... Theoretically the stern should should be watertight regardless of additional weight, etc.. Eddie
embibb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter