Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 05:52   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Navigation through the strait of Gibraltar from west to east

I have the sailing boat. I need to understand what is going on in the strait to make the passage.
What is the way to do it?

Thank you
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Navigation through the strait of Gibraltar from west to east

Keep to the N shore (Spanish) going either way and out of the shipping lanes and try to time it for a favourable tide and winds.. its pretty easy just watch for the fast ferries coming in and out of Tariffa..
When you get to the Bay watch out for the ferries running to and from Morocco and Cueta.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:36   #3

Re: Navigation through the strait of Gibraltar from west to east

Thank you

I think that i will anchor somewhere before the entrance-maybe Barbate and ask when the timing is ok because of current and tide current.
I will be coming for Azores.

But maybe current is all the time the same direction. It is that sometimes is stronger and then weaker.

And it mater just to not have wind from the east.
Old 23-07-2019, 07:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Navigation through the strait of Gibraltar from west to east

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
Thank you

I think that i will anchor somewhere before the entrance-maybe Barbate and ask when the timing is ok because of current and tide current.
I will be coming for Azores.

But maybe current is all the time the same direction. It is that sometimes is stronger and then weaker.

And it mater just to not have wind from the east.

The tide strength depends on the moon, wind from the East is not good as a force 3 in Gibraltar can often be a force 6 to 7 as it passes Tarifa and the seas can be nasty wiith wind over tide.. best to wait for winds with some W in them or calm windows.
Here is a site for tides at Tarifa if your phone has internet access in Europe.
https://www.tide-forecast.com/locati...a/tides/latest
Porto Sherry/Cadiz is a better place to anchor and wait for wind changes than Barbatte as strong winds reach past there so you will be forced into the marina.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 07:18   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I did this recently but the other way around. Your way is super easy as 98% of the time you will have the wind in your favour so all you have to do is wait for the tide. Though it's not that important as there are micro currents, and it's long enough that at some point the tide will against you and at some point with you.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 08:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
I have the sailing boat. I need to understand what is going on in the strait to make the passage.
What is the way to do it?

Thank you
There is a book that gives the currents in the straits . There are several lanes and they change at different times. It is complex so having the chart of the lanes is helpful. Not sure where to get it. Its several years since I did it but try to find it and it will facilitate your passage.https://www.tidetech.org/news/2012/8...r-tidal-model/ this might help.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 08:27   #7

Keep a keen eye open for small fishing boats! There are dozens of them.

Enjoy the Azores, they are beautiful!
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 08:55   #8

It’s similar to any other somewhat narrow passage with a lot of traffic: you best keep a sharp lookout. When a levanter (wind from the east) is blowing it’s about impossible in a small boat. I found that you get a 12 hour or so advance warning of the onset of such an event: you’ll get an uncomfortable swell that should tell you to seek some shelter and wait for the levanter to abate.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

All good info. Only thing I can add is study your charts there is a 5-lane TSS off the corner of Portugal. With AIS I was able to pick my way across it without impeding anyone.

Downside of AIS, is that when we went through the straits, Vesper was reporting 250 targets!

Also check the marina operating times. Gib marinas were saying they close at 21or2200. When we asked about tying up at their fuel dock or prepaying for a slip, I was told they do not sell fuel and secure the Marina with a float and chain system.

Although we discovered it after sunrise, there is the Puerto Deportivo Alcaidesa in Spain. It is a very short distance from Gibraltar. You can clear in there and it does not look like they secure water access at night. So you can tie up at their fuel dock or drop a hook in their protected cove.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 12:28   #10

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

To emphasize a previous point, that the wind accelerates at Tarifa - often a lot. If you are working along the coast and get to Tarifa and find yourself in a force 6, don't anchor at Tarifa for better weather. Push on and the wind will quickly drop. You can spend days waiting at Tarifa for the wind to drop, so keep in mind it is a local phenomenon. How do I know? Don't ask...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 13:04   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

might be of interest >

Transiting Straits of gib Eastbound - Any Tips/Advice?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 03:12   #12

Thank you.
I am leaving in 2 hours from Azores
I will let you know.
Old 24-07-2019, 13:11   #13

Boat: Leopard 40

It's not hard. We had Windy.com on our phones and waited for the right wind to make the crossing. Don't use a spinnaker.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 17:19   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

In my view the bible on this one is the Straights Sailing Handbook. If you can get hold of a copy.

Otherwise, just remember that the Straights are a funnel. F3 at the W end will probably be F6 at the E end and vis a versa. Tariffa is the windiest place in Europe. Hence all the kite surfers. Gib Bay itself can be interesting. One moment no wind and the next getting knocked sideways by katabatic. The good news is that on the Gib side the only outlying rocks are the Seven Sisters. By Rosia.

Approaching Gibraltar for the first time is OK in daylight but massively confusing at night. Forget all that stuff about paper charts. There are simply too many lights to differentiate. You need an up to date chip in your MFD and even then, with all the land reclamation, it will probably be out of date.

Anyway, the marinas have booms that go across quite early. Your options then are (1) anchor in Getares by the old whaling station (2) go to Alcaidesa Marina - which is La Linea, but they do not want to use the name as the town is pretty down at heel (3) sail on to Sotogrande - which is flash but not cheap (4) Go across to Ceuta on the other side - which is worth a tourist trip. As well as having a super Aqua Park to laze and splash about in.

If you do go to Alcaidesa never even think about having any work done by MH Yacht Preserve. You have been warned.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 10:06   #15

Stick to the Spanish coast. This should position you well to take advantage of the east going current. It also keeps you out of the way of the Moroccan fishing boats.

Check the times for HIGH WATER AT GIBRALTAR and aim to be off Tarifa around the time of high water. (Note- some tables give the time in BST and not UTC!) This should put you in a current going east into the Med at around 2 knots.

Rota and Cadiz are nicer places to make a stop than Barbate .

You are correct in noting that an easterly wind in the straits is to be avoided. Have a few more beers in Rota and wait for the ‘ponente ‘ wind.

If you stop at Gibraltar, don’t forget to top up with tax free diesel!

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locati...K/tides/latest
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar, navigation