Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2019, 21:36   #1

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46
ENC Charts for Fiji for OpenCPN

Hello all,

I have been looking for ENC charts for Fiji for a while now with no luck. Best I can find is the relatively low scale RNC New Zealand charts. Anyone has any recommendations for Fiji ENC charts? I need to move my boat from Fiji to NZ this October and trying to line up my charts! Thanks
chillmobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 21:44   #2
Moo

Re: ENC Charts for Fiji for OpenCPN

I found C-map perfectly good there.. The old pirate CM93 ones were off in a couple of passages but newer genuine ones running in TimeZero were fine. I expect if you buy any genuine ENC charts from Chartworld they will be fine too as they all from the same source data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmobil View Post
Hello all,

I have been looking for ENC charts for Fiji for a while now with no luck. Best I can find is the relatively low scale RNC New Zealand charts. Anyone has any recommendations for Fiji ENC charts? I need to move my boat from Fiji to NZ this October and trying to line up my charts! Thanks
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 00:26   #3

Boat: Flicka

Are you currentlt in Fiji? Im in Vuda for the next few days. I have might have some charts of interest. PM me
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 15:05   #4

Thanks Moo.
Yes I have the pirated CM93 and the resolution is OK, but not fantastic.
I was wondering if anyone had found anything better? Ie same resolution-ish as what I can have on my Navionics on ipad for South Pacific?
Thanks again
Old 31-07-2019, 16:05   #5
Moo

Navionics lag the official guys everywhere outside of North America and Europe and a few selected locations. So go with an official source. What areas in particular do you need better resolution for?
Old 31-07-2019, 16:16   #6

I'm all for the official source! We will be staying around Nadi, Musket Cove, essentially SE corner of Viti Levu. We will be staying there waiting for weather window to NZ in October. I have Ovitel and Navionics too. But I do love my OpenCPN and hence why I am asking of anyone has found great charts for Fiji
Old 31-07-2019, 19:02   #7
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmobil View Post
I'm all for the official source! We will be staying around Nadi, Musket Cove, essentially SE corner of Viti Levu. We will be staying there waiting for weather window to NZ in October. I have Ovitel and Navionics too. But I do love my OpenCPN and hence why I am asking of anyone has found great charts for Fiji

Here you go then: https://www.chartworld.com/shop/search?keyword=fiji 2J507013 C-MAP Fiji. You'll need to get the S63 plugin and a User Permit from O-Charts and if you are not already using this system make sure you read the manuals ! If you want to have license that you can use with backup hardware go for USB dongle.

I found C-MAP to be very good around Fiji 2 years ago.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:23   #8
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Moo,

USB key dongle is not (yet) available for the S-63 plug-in. This is not so critical as the number of installs can be more permissive in case of S-63

For the South Pacific we identified the following chart editors for the (officia)l ENCs:
- AHS for PNG and Solomons
- UKHO for Vanuatu, Fiji, Kiribati)
- SHOM (New Caledonia and French Polynesia)
- LINZ (Tonga ,Samoa, Cook)

The Australian charts are part of the oeSENC package, UKHO we can cover with the existing licenses, SHOM is expensive (aprox. 7.000€ each three years) and LINZ will provide the NZ part in the S-63 format for free from the end of this year on. We don't know if this will be extended to the other countries under LINZ coverage.

We would like to get feedback about the AHS charts - geo-referencing, overall precision and (missing) detail.

It seems that SHOM has made some efort in the last years to get the ENCs right.
LINZ has a multi year project to get geo-referencing right.
UKHO states in the explaining texts for their charts that they don't guarantee anything for those charts (more or less..). Plus the coverage in the case of UKHO is limited. Some charts missing when compared to the official S-63 sets.

That's the "stand of the art" and we might add some oeSENC chart sets after the European summer season. Step-by-step...

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:18   #9

Boat: Boatless

I used navionics and CM93 and they were OK in the main areas but in the outer islands they were terrible and all navigation had to be high sun and visual.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:20   #10

Boat: Dufour 35

Hubert

Don't forget that there are some free US ENCs for the area around American Samoa, with outlaying islands and towards the equator.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190801_123754.png
Views:	87
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	197011

To be complete about the South Pacific we should also mention the Chilean coverage of Easter Island which historically is a Polynesian Island.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 18:17   #11
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
To be complete about the South Pacific we should also mention the Chilean coverage of Easter Island which historically is a Polynesian Island.

Thomas

The ENC charts that I had for Easter Island were very good but then there are basically only two anchorages CM93 and C-Map
Old 07-11-2022, 22:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Moo,

USB key dongle is not (yet) available for the S-63 plug-in. This is not so critical as the number of installs can be more permissive in case of S-63

For the South Pacific we identified the following chart editors for the (officia)l ENCs:
- AHS for PNG and Solomons
- UKHO for Vanuatu, Fiji, Kiribati)
- SHOM (New Caledonia and French Polynesia)
- LINZ (Tonga ,Samoa, Cook)

The Australian charts are part of the oeSENC package, UKHO we can cover with the existing licenses, SHOM is expensive (aprox. 7.000€ each three years) and LINZ will provide the NZ part in the S-63 format for free from the end of this year on. We don't know if this will be extended to the other countries under LINZ coverage.

We would like to get feedback about the AHS charts - geo-referencing, overall precision and (missing) detail.

It seems that SHOM has made some efort in the last years to get the ENCs right.
LINZ has a multi year project to get geo-referencing right.
UKHO states in the explaining texts for their charts that they don't guarantee anything for those charts (more or less..). Plus the coverage in the case of UKHO is limited. Some charts missing when compared to the official S-63 sets.

That's the "stand of the art" and we might add some oeSENC chart sets after the European summer season. Step-by-step...

Hubert
Hi Hubert,

Apologies for jumping on a dead thread, but I can't seem to find this info anywhere else! I am trying to find a source for ENC charts of New Caledonia and Vanuatu. You mention that UKHO charts 'can be covered with the existing licenses' - does that mean it's possible to get them through o-charts or a similar source, or just that the UKHO format works okay with opencpn? Similarly, you said the SHOM charts were expensive - do you have a link to where they can be purchased? If the answer to both these questions is to use ChartWorld, no worries - I'm just making sure I haven't missed any potential chart sources Thanks in advance, Matt
MattKerrAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:58   #13
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

What we have added lately is French Polinesia as an o-charts set.
Not including New Caledonia or Vanatu.

The only source for recent updated charts would be the S-63 charts, that you are mentioning.

One can as well license single ENC cells from SHOM directly. At some 40+€/cell. That's why we said that SHOM is not the cheapest one. The corresponding S-63 chart will be less expensive.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 15:15   #14

Thanks for the reply! I have my fingers crossed that New Caledonia and Vanuatu will eventually be available as an o-charts set.

All the best,
Matt
MattKerrAllen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, enc, Fiji, opencpn