Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 10:13   #1
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Rebuilt Mast Step

I originally posted about a Morgan 462 I am considering in this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-172921.html

I've followed up with the owner/seller (through the two brokers) about one major concern, the rebuilt mast step. Below are my Qs and his As.

I'd welcome any opinions about the work he describes having done on the rebuild, particularly from anyone who's gone through having to have a mast step rebuilt (and who hired a professional to do it) or from any Morgan owners.

Thanks in advance.

His response to my first request for more info on the repair/what was done/why: "The mast step was completely rebuilt in 2012. The old one was cut out and a new one fabricated and installed. The stringer was cut to allow better access for the process."

His response to my follow up asking who did the work: ""I did it myself under the supervision of the Salt Creek Marina in St. Petersburg FL"

His most recent response to my follow up asking asking for the name of someone at Salt Creek Marina who “supervised” the work and, again, asking *why* that work was done (this is what I'm interested in opinions about):
"Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the guy that was helping me, nor do I remember any of the other Salt Creek Marina employee names.

"The original mast step was 5-7 pieces of 3/4" plywood on edge with fiberglass sides and what looked to be 2x4's on top. The mast step was bolted to the 2x4's. It appeared that water that had entered the mast had rotted the 2x4's and plywood around and under the mast step so the mast started to crush the step. I noticed it because the rigging tension was off - too loose to be from simple stretch. In total the mast had settled 3/4 -1".

"After cutting out the old step and fiberglass I built the new step. I started with 4 lengths of cypress 4x4's epoxied together on end. This was not wide enough so a piece of 3/4" epoxy coated marine plywood was epoxied/screwed to the side. 3/4" stainless lag bolts were partially screwed into the top of each 4x4. Then the entire unit was covered in multiple layers of 1/4" fiberglass mat. Thickened epoxy was poured into the mast step area and the new mast step assembly was set in place and additional glass mat added to tie it to the hull.

"To provide a surface to bolt the mast step to; 7 2x4's (actual size) white oak boards were laminated together on edge and over sized holes drilled to accept the bolt heads sticking out of the 4x4's. This panel was set on and epoxied to the 4x4's and epoxy was used to fill the holes around the bolt heads. Then additional mat was added to connect the panel to the hull."
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 19:15   #2

Re: Rebuilt Mast Step

About 12 years ago I had exactly the same problem with my 462. Same cause. Repair work was done by a very high quality yard in MA. I believe they created a concrete base for the new step and left a pvc pipe at the bottom to allow water to run back to the bilge. Solution worked fine and when I sold the boat the surveyor found it to be fine.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, morgan, repairs