Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 09:32   #76
cruiser

Re: 55 or 65lb Mantus Anchor for my 2015 Jeanneau 409?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We may be saying the same thing, but I think you should have the largest new-gen anchor your boat's anchoring system can reasonably manage. By system I mean roller, windlass, rode, engine and you.

I think it is possible (although unlikely) that you can go too big for your bower. Too big could lead to poorer outcomes due to inadequate set or poor choices with regards to multiple attempts when the first set fails. An anchor doesn't ultimately hold on weight, it holds by surface area in contact with substrate. A poorly set monster anchor will drag just as a severely undersized one will.

Proper anchoring is as much (or more) about good technique as it is about how big your pointy metal thing is. Too big can interfere with good technique.
'Curious Mike, approximately how many nights have you spent at anchor? If you're going to dish out advice, it would be nice to know your qualifications.

I'm no expert having only spent maybe three complete years at anchor if you add it all together, but from nearly everyone I know who's cruising full time.... Everyone's anchor has dragged.

We don't sit around talking up our great technique... we talk and laugh about our close calls.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:35   #77
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a new gen anchor, but it wasn't all that long ago that a Delta was a new gen.

Far as being too big I just don't think that is possible on most boats. I just think it would be rare to be able to physically install such an anchor. Far as set I am not convinced that a big anchor only set part way holds less than a smaller anchor fully set as both have the same suction etc. for the same pull.

So back to the original question on this thread. If you are asking whether you should install a 55# or a 65# Mantus on a Jenne 409, assuming both fit, it is crazy to me to get the 55#. Is it worth saving the $90 (I looked it up)?
Old 29-08-2016, 09:44   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have a new gen anchor, but it wasn't all that long ago that a Delta was a new gen.

Far as being too big I just don't think that is possible on most boats. I just think it would be rare to be able to physically install such an anchor. Far as set I am not convinced that a big anchor only set part way holds less than a smaller anchor fully set as both have the same suction etc. for the same pull.

So back to the original question on this thread. If you are asking whether you should install a 55# or a 65# Mantus on a Jenne 409, assuming both fit, it is crazy to me to get the 55#. Is it worth saving the $90 (I looked it up)?
Note, I am just now going big myself, this for me is all theory and opinion, not experience !

I'm in the if you can fit it and have the Windlass that can haul it etc. then go big.
I do not buy into the it too big to set myself, even if I don't have enough power to bury a big Rocna, I can certainly get it well along in being set, and a Storm of a large magnitude will finish burying it if I can't with the boat.
Assuming a sand or weed covered bottom, most anything except rock, I don't know of an anchor that will bury into rock

On the weight thing, I don't believe weight gives holding power in a substrate that the anchor can bury into, that is surface area, and the design of that surface area.
But I do believe that a heavy anchor will bury more easily than a light weight one, all other things being equal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:47   #79
cruiser

I just had lunch with my friend Peter who owns a Lagoon 450. Four years ago, he adamately defended his oversized Mantus anchor, telling me over and over how wonderful the thing was.

Today when asked about the same anchor, his face had a somewhat twisted look and he told me of several stories of his anchor dragging and of the close calls. Ours has done the same; basically, you set them the best you can then hope for the best.

Every anchor drags.... even the versized new generation models. Unless of course, you rarely anchor. Eventually every anchor will let you down; set an alarm.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 10:20   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

'Curious Mike, approximately how many nights have you spent at anchor? If you're going to dish out advice, it would be nice to know your qualifications.

I'm no expert having only spent maybe three complete years at anchor if you add it all together, but from nearly everyone I know who's cruising full time.... Everyone's anchor has dragged.

We don't sit around talking up our great technique... we talk and laugh about our close calls.
Unlike others, I only advice on things I actually know something about. The vast majority of my time out seasonal cruising over the last 13+ years has been spent on anchor. My time out is typically late June to late September. I anchor almost all the time when out. For example, in the three months we've been out just recently I'll have spent five days on a dock.

Will that do?

I have never known my current anchor to drag once it was set -- never. It may have, but not to my measure or notice. I have certainly had to re-anchor to get a proper set. I've had to move anchor when weather changed and I didn't like our position. And I certainly did drag with my previous anchors (CQRs and Bruces). Where I'm currently anchored I watched three boats drag the other day. It was not b/c they had poor anchors (two with big Bruces, one a Rocna), it's b/c they set them poorly.

I'm sure there will come a day when I drag with my Rocna. No anchor is perfect, and shyte can happen. But I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

People spend all this time talking about anchor size. Anchoring technique is at least as important.
Old 30-08-2016, 03:21   #81

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Now that my anchor has been purchased, I am shopping around for 300' of 3/8" chain.

I did a little research and found Defender had a pretty good price ($4.29 per foot) for Acco G-4 Hi-Test. It says it has a working load limit of 5,400 lbs. (The Highest Strength to Weight Ratio)

Acco G-4 Hi-Test Galvanized Chain

I can also get 400' of chain for $3.69/foot but do I really need that extra 100'?
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:21   #82

Hi Epiic, so do you have the original windlass of 1000w ? Do you have a hard time pulling the 65lbs mantus and does it fit well on the boat ? I have a 409 and debating between 55 and 65 right now but I can see my windlass forcing with my 35lbs anchor and I have a lot of mud and seaweed THX
pvincent04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:24   #83

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

65 Lb. anchor seems like overkill to me on a Jeanneau 409.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, jeanneau, Mantus