Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 13:56   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: 55 or 65lb Mantus Anchor for my 2015 Jeanneau 409?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
We are really not playing around when it comes to our warranty! If your product is something you believe in then your warranty should reflect that.

THE ONLY THING THAT THE CONSUMER CAN DO TO VOID THE WARRANTY IS TO DRILL A HOLE IN THE ANCHOR!
But what happens if they drill two holes

Seriously, why people insist on doing this I don't know. I think this is a perfectly valid exclusion, if the shank bends after drilling holes like this the manufacturer should not be responsible.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 14:18   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So all I have to do is properly set my 120 Spade (with adequate rode) and I will hold through anything including a category V hurricane? That's quite the claim -- not one I would want to test with my own boat .
Spade Anchor, I'd really appreciate a clear the answer. Is Spade claiming a model 120 is all I need as a true storm anchor, which means holding through a hurricane? I'm not trying to be annoying here, but you claim this is a "storm" anchor. I want to know what you mean by storm. Class I, II, III, more? A class V hurricane is 137 kt or higher. Even a class II is 83-95 kt. You're saying a 55# Spade (properly set with the right rode) will hold me through any of this?
Old 25-08-2016, 14:26   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't know why people would be surprised by an anchor manufacturer covering their anchor for almost anything. Afterall compared to the number of anchors out there the number that get used is very small. It is so low risk/high gain to warranty them.
Old 25-08-2016, 16:32   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Take a walk around and start looking at anchors, it seems at least in my neck of the woods, bent shafts and flukes are not that uncommon, and the eventual result of actually using a zinc coated steel anchor will result in the zinc being worn away, if not being eaten away as it is one big anode.
But I think many are like me, if the zinc wears away in a reasonable time I wouldn't file a claim, that is fair wear and tear, and to be honest, I do not keep receipts.
People drill the holes of course to pin them to the boat, I considered it myself, and didn't based largely on figuring how hard it would be to drill, glad I didn't now, seemed like a good idea at the time

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 17:35   #35

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

If I'm riding out a category 5 hurricane, I'm not relying on my anchor, I'm relying on God's mercy
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 18:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
If I'm riding out a category 5 hurricane, I'm not relying on my anchor, I'm relying on God's mercy

I agree. Me to!

But even a cat 1 or 2 is pretty scary and serious. Spade says they're properly sized anchor is for lunch/overnight and storm. I'm just trying to understand what they mean by storm. If it means 60 knots, well that's good. It's what I'd expect from a properly sized new-gen anchor. If t means 80 knots then this exceeds my expectations (especially if they can back that up with some sort of data). If it means 100 knots, well, to be honest I'm pretty darn dubious.

I'm not trying to be difficult here. It's just that a claim that one anchor can hold through everything seems to me to be a large claim that needs support.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 25-08-2016, 19:45   #37

Mantus anchors have been running under weight since they were introduced, so you will want to get the heavier anchor. When you get it and weight it you will almost be getting the next size down from what you ordered.

They call it a manufacturing tolerance, but none of the other anchor manufactures are doing this.

All the other manufactures sell you a 65 lbs anchor and you get a 65 lbs anchor.

Anchors are sold by weight, so you should always get what you paid for. JUST SAYIN.
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 10:09   #38

Old 26-08-2016, 11:07   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mike issue is there are just too many variables, I just found out in another thread that Jim and Ann's boat although much larger than mine weighs about the same and likely we have similar windage.
Then the variable of scope and hugely the bottom, perfect dense pack sand and mud of course are way different in holding.
I wouldn't be surprised if a poor holding bottom gave well less than 50% of the holding of a perfect one.
They manufacture the anchor, but they don't have a crystal ball to determine its useage. No way they can class an anchor to storm catagory unless you can tell them exactly the bottom make up, your scope and type / size of rode, snubber etc.
You know I chose to way oversize as I see being over sized as being the lesser of two evils as long as you have the rest of the system in place to handle being over sized.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mike issue is there are just too many variables, I just found out in another thread that Jim and Ann's boat although much larger than mine weighs about the same and likely we have similar windage.
Then the variable of scope and hugely the bottom, perfect dense pack sand and mud of course are way different in holding.
I wouldn't be surprised if a poor holding bottom gave well less than 50% of the holding of a perfect one.
They manufacture the anchor, but they don't have a crystal ball to determine its useage. No way they can class an anchor to storm catagory unless you can tell them exactly the bottom make up, your scope and type / size of rode, snubber etc.
You know I chose to way oversize as I see being over sized as being the lesser of two evils as long as you have the rest of the system in place to handle being over sized.
I agree with everything you say A64, which is why I was surprised by Spade's response to me when he/she said the right sized anchor for my boat should be considered a "storm" anchor. I was quite surprised at this claim, and therefore have asked for clarification. For a respectable anchor company like Spade to be making such a claim means something.

BTW, I've always specified proper set with proper rode in all my queries to Spade (as yet unanswered). There are so many variables, but their claim was clear:

Quote:
Based on your weight the correct size is the S120 model. That will be the correct size for a primary/storm/lunch Spade Anchor.
I have no issue with their anchor. I'd love to have one, and may yet purchase. And I'm really not trying to be an @ss about this, but if they are making this claim, then it seems reasonable to ask what they mean by "storm." All I know is it means "a hurricane" ... more than 60 knots. A hurricane starts at 64 knots and goes to 120 knots or more.
Old 26-08-2016, 12:47   #41

The claim is that the anchor can be used in a storm, instead of using whatever storm ground tackle you use now
Old 26-08-2016, 13:08   #42

Quote:
The claim is that the anchor can be used in a storm, instead of using whatever storm ground tackle you use now
With respect DDabs, I don't understand what you're saying. Any anchor can be used in a storm, but not any anchor is a "storm anchor." I consider my current anchor a perfectly adequate bower for up to about 60 knots. No way would I consider it a storm anchor, although I would use it (and my actual storm anchor) in a storm.

If Spade simply misspoke, that's fine. Or if there is more clarification to be added to claiming the recommended anchor is also a storm anchor, then that's great. I'm not trying to be an PITA, or paint anyone into a corner. He/she answered my question in good faith, and I appreciated the response. But when someone says the same anchor that I'd use for standard anchoring is also good enough for a storm, then I need it to be clarified.
Old 26-08-2016, 13:33   #43

They said it could be used as a storm anchor, so what more do you want to know? I don't get it
Old 26-08-2016, 13:56   #44

55 or 65lb Mantus Anchor for my 2015 Jeanneau 409?

Quote:
They said it could be used as a storm anchor, so what more do you want to know? I don't get it

Thought I was pretty clear. I asked, what is a storm?

Spade said it was the right size for my boat to be a storm anchor. Again, anything can be used in a storm, but not every anchor is a storm anchor. My undersized Bruce will be used in a storm, but it is not my storm anchor.

If a 55# Spade truly is a storm anchor for my boat, and by storm it means holding in over 100 knots, or even over 80 knots, then I definitely want one.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 26-08-2016, 14:05   #45

They answered you and said they were based in FL and a storm meant a hurricane

Tags
anchor, jeanneau, Mantus