Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 07:10   #31

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: New Jeanneau 50DS issues and resolutions

RE: the headliner. Sounds like the same headliner approach as on our Lagoon. Ours is held up with velcro. Sometimes when pulling a panel down one side of the velcro comes off from its intended "side". Bet you could solve by replacing the velcor or adding more.

If the issue is the vinyl pulling off the panel then any auto uphoterly shop can handle it. Make sure they know it is for a boat so they can pick the best glue.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 11:26   #32

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
Recently purchased a 2015 Jeanneau 50DS. I've spent a few weeks on it sailing from Philadelphia to Elizabeth City and back to to my home port in Huntington Bay, NY. Overall, I'm pleased with it but there a few issues that I'd like to get community experience and input on.
-The chart plotter is mounted on the aft base of the cockpit table between the two helms. It's impossible to see from the helm, especially if the sun is behind you. I've added a grip mount for my iPad to resolve the problem temporarily but want to move the plotter to the helm. Has anyone done this?
-The fresh water pump has a small holding chamber that is meant to reduce the pump from cycling on and off so much. Occasionally, the pump won't cycle at all and I have to temporarily jump the wires to get it work. I'm assuming when I jump the wire, it fills the holding chamber back up which allows the auto-cycle switch to start working again. I assume this is the problem as the first time it happened was when I emptied the tanks to flush the tanks after winter storage. Thoughts?
-Ceiling liner comes unattached. This was a problem from the first launch and continues to happen. I'm told by a dealer that the only way to fix it is to use screws and plastic button caps. They look terrible and interrupts the clean line design of the interior. Anyone have a better solution?
Does your chart plotter not swivel to face either helm? (normally a pull cord underneath to unlock it from one position to another).

Regarding the water pump - could be a faulty pressure switch. Also, you may have the basic Johnson pump. There is also an electronic version that runs up and down according to demand, rather than just switching on or off. It is a drop in replacement, and not a lot more.

Headlining comes off because they don't wipe down the fibreglass surface before adhering, and there is often grinding dust on that surface. The solution is to get decent quality 'peel & stick' Velcro tape. Clean the surface with acetone, let dry properly, then fix to hull, then peel the other side, and fix to the foam-backed vinyl. Then (with care) you can remove the vinyl to get to wiring if you ever need to.

Having said all that, your boat is under warranty for three years, so it is up to Jeanneau to sort these problems for you through your dealer - who if you are away from him, will arrange through another dealer in your area.

Hope that helps,

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 13:03   #33

I have a 2014 50DS, the jeanneau fix for the ceilings is additional screws into the wood ( with white plastic dome covers ) close to the invisible plastic clips.
I have had Jeanneau replace most of the plastic clips and some 3m industrial Velcro, and only have the screws in fwd cabin.
After lots of discussion and 20 months of ownership Jeanneau sent Pascal G to Lanzarote last month and he spent 2 weeks sorting out lots of minor and some major issues. He is a magician with gel coat repairs, of which we had many.
Ask for all the mirrors to be replaced as they have admitted to me, of supplier problems, they corrode at the edges.
Do you have problems with the joints in the alps wood bulkhead between the fwd cabin and saloon? as there is a fix for that using 'baguettes' , strips of matching trim, they look fine.
I have have no problem with the jabsco water supply pump, and I didn't order the factory installed raymarine mfd for the same reasons as you, it's too far for my old eyes.
Not sure which autopilot you have but I insisted on raymarine ev system but have got them to relocate the ev1 starship enterprise from in the middle of the AC panel to a more emp friendly location.
Jeanneau did refuse to sort out the drain in the anchor locker, they think 2 inches of water sitting in the bottom was acceptable, I didn't so had it sorted.
So to summarise if you don't get satisfaction visit a major boat show and arrange a meeting with a director and insist on Pascal to fix it, he travels all over the world fixing jeanneau's.

Regards
Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:26   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 50 DS

I have a 2010 50DS, but haven't had the issues you have had and am located in long Island Sound. As for the headliner, my boat has two piece snaps that hold up the headliner. Velcro won't be strong enough and they seem to lose holding power over time. Button and permanent screws will be most unattractive. No water pump issue. I do share your comments on the cockpit display. I have a 120w unit, on a swivel, just below the table. It is difficult in direct sunlight which necessitates sitting on the floor. A larger complaint is with the software that displays bouys, etc too small to read, and according to Raymarine, cannot be adjusted. I would advise against placing the display above the top of the table. It takes away from the cockpit visibility when anchored. Placing e95 at each station would be interesting although a bit difficult for the wiring on port. What do you do with the previous instrument holes? I supplement the unit with a Samsung 12" tablet, using the Nobeltec Navigator program from below via Splashtop, wireless. All in all, this has been a very trouble free vessel. Love the comfort and limited maintenance compared to my former Cambria.
DeWittcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 06:45   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

Ceiling panels are an ongoing problem. I've tried everything. Drill and screw works best. Your chart plotter sounds like a serious design flaw. I couldn't sail that way. You'll likely end up moving it to another helm position. I have had no problem with water pumps but know of another 509 owner who has.
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:36   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft

Thanks for your comment. An update. I used 2" wide velcro tape on trouble spots and that seems to have resolved the problem with the overhead panels. I used strips about 6" long in several places. There's been a couple of times that the end of a panel drops if I've been in really heavy, choppy water but a quick push back locks it in place again. I works for me. I do not like the screw and cap fix as it spoils the smooth lines of the design.
The water pump issue has gone away. I haven't had to prime it by by passing the switch all summer.
To resolve the chart plotter problem I bought a clamp on holder for my iPad and mounted it in front of the port helm. It works well. The only issue is the charging cord reaches across to the 12vlt on the back of the table so it gets in the way. I'm planning to install 12vlt access at each helm to remove that problem.
Current issue is the battery charger seems to run a lot and very loudly. That makes it a problem for guests in the aft starboard cabin. I checked the switch settings and they are correct according to the manual. I also made sure the battery water levels are correct as well. The service manager from where I bought the boat is reviewing the issue now.
Honestly, the issues I've had with the Jeanneau have been minor. I sailed lot this season and put it to the test. It handles well and is reliable. I get lots of compliments on her.
The dealer I bought her from was Riverside Yacht Sales in NJ. They've been great in answering questions and following up. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in buying.
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:40   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft

I've been at West Shore Marina in Huntington for the past 3 seasons. I'm moving her to Brewers at Greenport next year to explore that end of the sound and nearby islands.
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau