Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 06:42   #1

Boat: 1990 Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Catalina 30 wiring harness - hidden fuse(s)?

Anyone know if the Catalogue na 30 wiring harness has any fuses in an inconspicuous location? I'm stuck with no juice to the instrument panel. When started engine to motor into harbor last night everything started just fine. Then got a "high voltage" warning on my depth instrument display and the volt meter was all the way over to 16 volts. Didn't have any issues getting in to harbor. All gauges looked to be working fine. After I shut down engine and turned off key, I turned key and had no power to instrument panel/no engine starting. Thanks for the help!
George Da Porge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 06:56   #2

Re: Catalina 30 wiring harness - hidden fuse(s)?

Well, never mind I guess. Unplugged wiring harness at instrument panel. Checked for continuity in harness (black/red) and it was good. Plugged harness back together. Panel instruments have power. Engine starts. WTF! Anyway, any clues to why this happened welcome!!
Old 31-07-2017, 07:14   #3

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

George, yhe C30, c34, c36 all have pretty active owners groups. Ask there and they will probably have some answers for you. Boats are similar, problems similar. Be sure to tell them year and engine as they made a whole lot of C30 and there are differences over the years.
Old 31-07-2017, 10:02   #4

Thanks tomdidit! Been to those sites also. Lots of info.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:37   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Da Porge View Post
Anyone know if the Catalogue na 30 wiring harness has any fuses in an inconspicuous location? I'm stuck with no juice to the instrument panel. When started engine to motor into harbor last night everything started just fine. Then got a "high voltage" warning on my depth instrument display and the volt meter was all the way over to 16 volts. Didn't have any issues getting in to harbor. All gauges looked to be working fine. After I shut down engine and turned off key, I turned key and had no power to instrument panel/no engine starting. Thanks for the help!
The only reason the alternator would go up to 16 Vdc and then you have no voltage at the battery is battery switch in off position (possibly bad for alternator), or the battery terminal is disconnected or bad connection. Not likely a fuse between battery and starter.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51   #6

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Corrosion......
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:44   #7

Boat: ODAY 28

I had a 1986, 4390, no hidden fuses on it, but I do remember that the engine harness had a disconnect plug, which would cause problems due to corrosion, might want to check that plug for condition as well as other connections.
good luck
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:45   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Da Porge View Post
Well, never mind I guess. Unplugged wiring harness at instrument panel. Checked for continuity in harness (black/red) and it was good. Plugged harness back together. Panel instruments have power. Engine starts. WTF! Anyway, any clues to why this happened welcome!!
You unplugged the wiring harness and then reconnected it. Corrosion or loose connections in the plug/socket connection. It happened to me once on a previous boat.

If you want to reduce the chance of that happening again, go to the home center and buy a can of electrical contact cleaner. Turn the power off, unplug the connector and spray the cleaner on the pins and into the sockets. Plug it back together and unplug it a few times. Spray again, let it dry a minute or so and reconnect it.

Even better, once you clean the connections, put a modest amount of dielectric grease on each pin in the harness and plug it back together. You can probably find this at the home center, auto parts store or West Marine.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:03   #9

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Older Catalina 30's wiring harness had a plug connection in the bilge under the companion way. This would corrode over time. Contact Catalina as they have a source for a replacement harness that resolves this problem.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 15:09   #10

Thanks for the feedback folks! On SailboatOwners.com Catalina 30 forum the following site was recommended regarding the wiring harness connector: https://marinehowto.com/universal-di...rness-upgrade/. Basically replace it with a bus bar - much safer. It's now on the to-do list!

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, fuses, wiring