Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 07:40   #1

Opinioins on Jeanneau Attalia 32

Looking for a family boat for cruising the north channel.

I love the interior and the build quality seems to be good.

It's fairly light but looks like it would have good form stability so shouldn't heel to much if reefed early when necessary.

Part of my thinks I should get something heavier. We are fairly novice sailors with no bad weather experience.

Any thoughts?
Xanthan Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 07:43   #2

Re: Opinioins on Jeanneau Attalia 32

One more question. The boat had a near perfect survey in 2016 and appears to have been taken care of since then. I know the risk adverse will be shocked yet I'll ask anyway - would it be crazy to go without a survey based on the known build quality, 2016 survey and current appearance?
Xanthan Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 15:59   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Get a survey. A surveyor will ALWAYS find something you missed, which can help to lower the price far more than whatever the surveyor costs. Jeanneau boats I've seen do seem a bit tougher than their Beneteau cousins (Beneteau owns both companies) with somewhat better hardware. The sail area/displacement ratio of about 17 means that she is not over canvassed. You will likely not have to reef at the first puff. Jeanneau and Beneteau are located in Vendée, where the Vendée Globe race is run.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 17:07   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

P.S. Besides that, Insurance companies typically require a survey before issuing coverage.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 03:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthan Echo View Post
It's fairly light but looks like it would have good form stability so shouldn't heel to much if reefed early when necessary.

Part of my thinks I should get something heavier.
Any thoughts?

The jeanneau advertised weight of 3600 kg is pure ********. The real weight of the boat, when weighted, is close or over 5000 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthan Echo View Post
We are fairly novice sailors with no bad weather experience.

Any thoughts?
I dont think there is any problem for novice sailor sailing on a cruiser 32ft, 5 tons.

The REAL problem is novice boat maintainer on a + 35 years old sailboat.

A + 35 year engine not starting one day will surprise nobody. As battery not charging, or discharging due to bad electrical contact in a + 35 year old electric circuit ...

I point I have met : a sheave breaking. A 10$ part. Except is was the mainsail halyard sheave. Except it was masthead. Except it had a stainless steel shaft fitted in the cast aluminium masthead ...

Another : winch ratchet spring breaking. A 5$ part. On a tack. As soon I left the winch handle, it went back. Hopefully, no child close.

I do not speak of family holidays with dysfunctional toilets, fridge, or hot water.

Just before failing, everything was running fine.
fc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 03:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Opinioins on Jeanneau Attalia 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Get a survey. A surveyor will ALWAYS find something you missed, which can help to lower the price far more than whatever the surveyor costs. Jeanneau boats I've seen do seem a bit tougher than their Beneteau cousins (Beneteau owns both companies) with somewhat better hardware. The sail area/displacement ratio of about 17 means that she is not over canvassed. You will likely not have to reef at the first puff. Jeanneau and Beneteau are located in Vendée, where the Vendée Globe race is run.
Actually the Attalia 32 was built pre Beneteau who took over Jeaneau in 1995..
Jeaneau up till then was considered the better builder along with Dufour.. kinda like the Moody being a superior product pre Hanse.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:10   #7

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

XE go on JEANNEAU forum, there are several on FB. You will get more thoughtful responses and less negative emotional banter. CF is a great resource but questions about a specific type, style, brand of boat will draw emotional responses imho.
I own a Jeanneau, they are great vessels before and after the merger, and the Bene’s are good as well. CF is a huge site power/sail/wood/fiberglass/aluminum/steel/ mono/multi/displacement/ salt/fresh water community with a great many conflicting opinions
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau