Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 08:16   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC
Thoughts on Bristol vs. Morgan 38 footers

Hi all - Hoping there are a few folk on the board that could weigh in on this topic.
I hope to purchase a boat in the next few months and based on my needs and wants I have ended up with 2 boats at the top of my list: Bristol 38.8, Morgan 382 (or 384). Both were built early 80s, with moderate draft, skeg hung rudder, encapsulated ballast, etc.

They are very similar in many ways (maybe most ways) but the average price for a Bristol is $80k while the Morgans are in the $40k ballpark. Looking at photos the Bristol does appear to be somewhat nicer inside, but the Morgan is no slouch.

The biggest difference I can see is the Bristol is heavier and has a better comfort ratio, but looks to be purely a result of 2000 lbs more ballast. The Bristol is also a keel/centerboard combo.

My sailing future will be Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean and potentially crossing to the Med when I'm ready.

So why do the Bristols fetch twice the price? Thanks is advance!

Steve
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:36   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Thoughts on Bristol vs. Morgan 38 footers

If you want to compare how heavily/strongly they are built look at non-ballast weight (Displacement - Ballast). Bristol & 384 are about even. If the Morgan is the 382 model then it has about a 2,000lb advantage in “structural” weight.
For being in the Caribbean draft advantage goes to Bristol, 382 then 384. An extra 6” is not insignificant but it’s not a lot more. The 1’ penalty of the 384 is significant. 5.5’ would not be that restricting but 4.5’ is really nice for that area.
Find out what model the Morgan really is.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:09   #3

Thanks for your response. I too found them to be very similar which leads to the 2nd part of the question: why the huge difference is price?

I've also been looking at the hull shape on the attached drawings. They both have a fine entry, and the overall shape is almost identical (from above) The rudder is further aft on the Bristol. She also is deeper in the area between the keel and skeg. Can't really tell the shape of that area from the drawing but it seems it might track a bit better off or down-wind (sort of functioning more like a long keeler) but might not steer as well in tight quarters. Or not?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morgan 382.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	234849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 38.8.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	234850  

Old 20-03-2021, 13:13   #4

You need to look at the boats in reality. How much work has already done on each one and how much is still to do. Disregard any statements like "Ready to sail away"
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:47   #5

Boat: center console

You might want to include the Morgan 383 instead of the 382. The 383 has the taller rig, shorter boom of the 384 along with most of the other improvements.
The 384 differences were mostly cosmetic. Can't go wrong with a Brewer Boat.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 15:56   #6

I’ve looked at a few Morgan 38x boats. All had v berths and quarter berths that were too short for my 6’4” height
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 11:00   #7

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

I was looking at a Morgan 382 and was doing research on their sailing characteristics. One issue I found, which concerned me, is they are not known to track well off the wind, due to the rudder size/design. The 383/4's rudder was modified to correct this issue. Below is a quote from a Practical Sailor review. I've now been looking at the Bristol 35.5s.

"Owners of the 382 and subsequent permutations seemed less pleased. They didn’t rate balance as highly, noting most frequently the difficulty in tracking (keeping the boat on a straight course) when sailing off the wind (not uncommon with beamy fin keel designs; it’s a trade-off with speed, pointing ability and maneuverability)."

"In 1980, the 382 was given a taller rig and called the 383. About 1983 the boat underwent other subtle changes, now called the Morgan 384. The rudder was enlarged and the interior modified."
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 14:14   #8

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Morrell, could it be where you are searching? Your tag says S Cal are you just searching in southern california?....being that Bristols were made in Rhode Island, albeit decades ago, would think more selection on the east coast & more competitively priced....of course, given its Spring now on the east coast, and boats are being splashed, prices will be firm here now...
Dont know Morgans, but can tell you the Bristols are stout boats, tracks incredibly well, and I derive comfort in the quality of the build. Enjoy the hunt.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 17:46   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmorrell View Post
Thanks for your response. I too found them to be very similar which leads to the 2nd part of the question: why the huge difference is price?
Steve
Why does a used Mercedes cost more than a used Ford? They're both cars. They both have wheels and doors and engines. Windshield wipers, trunks and radios. Heat and air conditioning. What makes one more valuable than the other?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 18:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I can't keep track of all the models out there, but I had friends on a 38-ish Morgan who complained of the hull squeezing in from the pressure of the shrouds, and making the deck flex upward at the partners.
I think the price difference might be in build quality--the same shaped boat might have a thinner hull laminate, less reinforcement at bulkheads, cheaper woodwork, a thousand small corners cut where another didn't. You can really drive the price of a build up by using nicer stuff and better materials and more careful process.
Old 22-03-2021, 21:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Morrell, could it be where you are searching? Your tag says S Cal are you just searching in southern california?....being that Bristols were made in Rhode Island, albeit decades ago, would think more selection on the east coast & more competitively priced....of course, given its Spring now on the east coast, and boats are being splashed, prices will be firm here now...

Dont know Morgans, but can tell you the Bristols are stout boats, tracks incredibly well, and I derive comfort in the quality of the build. Enjoy the hunt.

Thanks to all for your responses! I’m moving to Texas so I guess I’d better update my profile...
Old 22-03-2021, 22:26   #12

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

The boats are very similar, and I would consider either but find one of either species that has been super well cared for & upgraded. There is a huge difference in the value versus some of the worn out & beat up specimens.

We have a Morgan 384 that has been well cared for & the construction is quite beefy/robust. I think there were about 5 times more Morgan 38s built than the comparable Bristols. I’ve heard mostly good things about Bristols & wouldn’t be surprised if the build quality was generally better on the smaller production.

But I would take a very well maintained & upgraded boat of either species over a badly maintained & worn out one of the other species.

PS: our boat draws 5ft but there are some with a 6ft draft

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 10-04-2021, 07:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

I have sailed many version of Bristols and Morgans over 40 years and own a 1980 Morgan 382 which i have restored. Yes, there appear to be ore Morgans and they ae generally selling for less, but why?? Perhaps because when these models came out new, the bristol was higher priced--possibly because of more wood and a more attractive cabin. Who knows? But it's not really important in your case--what is important in ALL CASES is the cockpit, deck layout, keel, engine and tankage and things which cannot be easily or economically modified. You simply have to narrow your search and compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Then it boils down to aesthetics and romance, and ...yes money---and which one simply feels better--and where the boat is located versus where you want it to be relocated. They are both highly regarded, exceptionally well-built, but at this point you need to carefully compare condition, sails and equipment...how about ease of access to the engine room? Condition of the engine? Where are you based? Feel free to visit if you are in Annapolis and want to see a restored Morgan 382. Let us know what you come up with please.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 18:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

Any news or updates you might want to share with us?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan