Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 04:25   #46

Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I circumnavigated on a Catalina 470. I know a number of skippers that have circumnavigated on Benteaus, Jeanneaus, Barvarias, Dufours etc of varying sizes.

I have seen zero proof of modern production boats having anymore problems or issues than what many here refer to as "Bluewater boats".

Something that I observed while at Fakarava Tuamotus last year was how few "bluewater boats" were there. Mostly production cats and production monos....they must of all got lucky.
Similar dynamic in trawlers, though obviously not at the circumnavigation level. Many people think you need a certain CE-A Bluewater boat before you can even attempt coastal passagemaking (say, Alaska to Maine via Panama Canal).

Then there are those who didn't get the memo and just go with the boat they have, mindful of seasonal weather patterns.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:34   #47
cruiser

Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
The CE rating don't say whether or not a boat is a good boat to cross ocean in. It does say that the boat is rated to survive open ocean conditions - not if it will be comfortable for an RTW.

Open ocean conidtion can easily occur within a 100 nm of the coast.

Perhaps the CE markings aren't perfect - but at the moment it is the best system there is - lacking others
Yes, its not concerned with things like range, comfort, aesthetics, or whether peoples'dogs will slip off the side. If one plans to circumnavigate, the odds are you'll fair better if the rating is CE-A, instead of D.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:36   #48

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Multi View Post
LMAO what does this add up to when in one breath you say "the most credible sailors are humble" then brag about being the only one to go out in 25knot winds ...lol
Yes! To funny, but wait I never said I was credible or humble?
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:38   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Yes! To funny, but wait I never said I was credible or humble?
well you never said you were a sailor either - but we digress

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Yes, its not concerned with things like range, comfort, aesthetics, or whether peoples'dogs will slip off the side. If one plans to circumnavigate, the odds are you'll fair better if the rating is CE-A, instead of D.
All things being equal, I'm sure that's true. But given the choice of an inexperienced captain in a CE-A boat vs a highly experienced captain in a lessor boat, I'd go with the latter every time.

But as an observation, often people who get wrapped-around-the-axle on things like CE ratings are either extremely experienced and well-heeled, or are aspirational newbies doing a lot of keyboard research and do not have the experience to understand the risks let alone mitigate them, so they seek a boat that will survive The Perfect Storm. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's likely to induce paralysis of analysis and thereby never actually pull the trigger on a boat.

BTW - what level is your actual experience? Power or sail?

Peter
Old 02-03-2021, 07:03   #51

Boat: Amel 50

Let's get to main subject if you have sailed as now made off topic.
As production boats have smaller tanks, other cocpits so than it is really nice how to deal with it by experience of others.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:07   #52

This might help

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...igated.134362/
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:18   #53

Pulled this from the thread YellowTulip posted - I forgot all about Latitude38's list of circumnavigators - must be a few hundred. These include historical records such as Slocum. But definitely answers the OP's question about run-of-the-mill production boats who circumnavigated.

https://www.latitude38.com/circumnavigators/

Peter
Old 02-03-2021, 07:22   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
As production boats have smaller tanks, other cocpits so than it is really nice how to deal with it by experience of others.
We'll they are 'Sailboats', one learns to manage the limitations.
One has to be prepared to sit out the calms instead of chasing clouds on the horizon and wasting fuel.. longest wait to date 9 days.. one can also supplement fuel by carrying 4 x 25litre Jerry cans strapped on deck by the shrouds.. something I used to do in the Med, fill up with cheap fuel in Gib or Cueta and it would last me for the season.
Water is less of a challenge these days with water makers but with rigorous planning and strict rationing water can go a long way.. I have done 49days nonstop (solo) and 4000nm with 220litres of water in my tank and liquids supplemented with tinned fruit and soups.
Cook basmati rice which absorbs all the water 1 cup rice 2 cups water.. things like pasta that need boiling use sea water (no added salt ) result in zero freshwater wastage, same with washing dishes and pans, wash in salt then spray with fresh from a spray bottle.
Sail naked when it's warm.. less laundry.
Bathe with salt water then rinse off with 2.5litres fresh in a solar shower bag.
That was my first transatlantic, arrived UK from Caribe with around 30litres still in my tank.. zero fuel.. that's how I learnt not to chase clouds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:32   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We'll they are 'Sailboats', one learns to manage the limitations.
One has to be prepared to sit out the calms instead of chasing clouds on the horizon and wasting fuel.. longest wait to date 9 days.. one can also supplement fuel by carrying 4 x 25litre Jerry cans strapped on deck by the shrouds.. something I used to do in the Med, fill up with cheap fuel in Gib or Cueta and it would last me for the season.
Water is less of a challenge these days with water makers but with rigorous planning and strict rationing water can go a long way.. I have done 49days nonstop (solo) and 4000nm with 220litres of water in my tank and liquids supplemented with tinned fruit and soups.
Cook basmati rice which absorbs all the water 1 cup rice 2 cups water.. things like pasta that need boiling use sea water (no added salt ) result in zero freshwater wastage, same with washing dishes and pans, wash in salt then spray with fresh from a spray bottle.
Sail naked when it's warm.. less laundry.
Bathe with salt water then rinse off with 2.5litres fresh in a solar shower bag.
That was my first transatlantic, arrived UK from Caribe with around 30litres still in my tank.. zero fuel.. that's how I learnt not to chase clouds..

Sure its POSSIBLE to live like that, but most people dont want to. Or , if they have an admiral, they cant anyway.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:38   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Sure its POSSIBLE to live like that, but most people dont want to. Or , if they have an admiral, they cant anyway.
Into every life a little rain must fall..
I detest airports and planes however its something I have to suffer if I want delivery work.
Get a better partner..
Admiral.. do women actually Like bring addressed like this.???

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:48   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Into every life a little rain must fall..
I detest airports and planes however its something I have to suffer if I want delivery work.
Get a better partner..
Admiral.. do women actually Like bring addressed like this.???
I dont know of too many guys who would dump their Admiral for the sake of being able to save money by bathing in sea water. In fact most of them dont like washing their clothes in it either! Nor do they like rationing drinking water! Amd dont even memtion what some guys do to save on toilet paper! And regarding the common term...admiral....that should be a compliment, right, even in these PC...'woke' times.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:58   #58

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Talking Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan, etc. mass production boats that circumnavigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
well you never said you were a sailor either - but we digress
My goodness, that’s not very moderate of you, I never understood the term Sailor, sail or what? ...Thank you for the light hearted jocularity.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:32   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I dont know of too many guys who would dump their Admiral for the sake of being able to save money by bathing in sea water. In fact most of them dont like washing their clothes in it either! Nor do they like rationing drinking water! Amd dont even memtion what some guys do to save on toilet paper! And regarding the common term...admiral....that should be a compliment, right, even in these PC...'woke' times.
Laundry is what one does at the other end.. not on the trip.. bar her smalls.
As for bathing in sea water.. on one delivery to Turkey as we passed through Greece on the way to Marmaris we were pouring buckets of seawater over ourselves to cool off in the 40C temperatures.. a midnight swim while at anchor was like a warm bath.
What's wrong with a douche after a clear out.. or do you prefer smearing it into your pores.
As for the missus.. she's perfectly happy else she wouldn't insist on being my crew on every trip that's not an owner assist.. or on a boat of mine.
I'll leave the title you delegate aside..

Old 02-03-2021, 15:44   #60

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
Watermakers are common and modern boats sail better therefore motor less.

Big cockpits are not a problem if they drain well, I filled the Catalina 470 cockpit several times and that included a passage into Capetown in 50+ knots , cockpit getting respeatly filled....no problem.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, boat, jeanneau