Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 16:03   #1

Boat: beneteau OC 352
**Is This Business In Indonesia Legit?**

Hello everyone.. I'm looking for a new motor and came across this ..

Yanmar 4JH4-TE 75 HP Diesel Marine Inboard For Sale

Have you ever heard the expression "if it's too good to be true.... "

The business is based in Jakarta Indonesia. I'm always impressed by how many CF members are all over the world. I thought I'd ask if the good people of CF have had any experience with this business or recommendations on how to place an international order and have safe guards in place.

Thanks everyone
Jason
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 17:52   #2

Re: **IS THIS BUSINESS IN INDONESIA LEGIT? **

I lived in Indonesia for 20 years. My impressions:

"In stock" means they will buy one from the cheapest, most remote source after you pay them 100%, plus shipping, plus taxes, plus duties.

Forget about any waranttee or dispute claims. Concrete guarantees only: once its left their concrete all promises are null and void.

Mislabeling, component swap outs are rife.

All units will have the absolute lowest cost options fitted. Global standard equipment specs do not apply

Indonesians repair everything (labour is far cheaper than new parts) and run machinery till its dust then another 10 years. NEVER buy used machinery there: it will be completely knackered.

Recommendations on international orders is easy: dont. Indonesia is generally a high import duty country. How are they going to buy a unit ex Japan, ship to Indo Delivered Duty Paid and then export it to you cheaper than you can buy locally?

The only circumstance where I would buy machinery in Indonesia would be to physically walk into the shop, check the new unit sitting on the floor in front of me and watch them load it onto my truck.

Good luck.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 18:23   #3

thank you sir.. that was exactly the local knowledge I was looking for.. I thought it had to be BS
Old 13-02-2020, 19:36   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
I lived in Indonesia for 20 years. My impressions:

"In stock" means they will buy one from the cheapest, most remote source after you pay them 100%, plus shipping, plus taxes, plus duties.

Forget about any waranttee or dispute claims. Concrete guarantees only: once its left their concrete all promises are null and void.

Mislabeling, component swap outs are rife.

All units will have the absolute lowest cost options fitted. Global standard equipment specs do not apply

Indonesians repair everything (labour is far cheaper than new parts) and run machinery till its dust then another 10 years. NEVER buy used machinery there: it will be completely knackered.

Recommendations on international orders is easy: dont. Indonesia is generally a high import duty country. How are they going to buy a unit ex Japan, ship to Indo Delivered Duty Paid and then export it to you cheaper than you can buy locally?

The only circumstance where I would buy machinery in Indonesia would be to physically walk into the shop, check the new unit sitting on the floor in front of me and watch them load it onto my truck.

Good luck.
I lived and sailed in Indonesia for about 10 years. I have been coming back here frequently for work for another 20 and I am in fact in Jakarta as I write. Many of the above things could happen and might be true sometimes, based on my experience but not all of them at once. And the vast majority of Indonesians are honest and helpful. But in a country of 260 million people, there will be some not good ones just as there are everywhere else.

We had a Yanmar 3 something in our Van de Stadt 34. We found, as noted by GoneDiving above, that if something could be repaired rather than replaced, it was cheaper. If a part had to be imported, it was usually if not always more expensive than buying it new in Canada (our home base). Fortunately for small parts I knew enough people going back and forth that we could usually find someone willing to carry a part for us.

I would agree however that I would want to see what I was buying and watch it being dispatched. However, I would want to do the same thing no matter which country I was buying it in. An engine is not cheap, configurations vary and specifications for a "base" model might provide something other than what is expected or needed.

The caveat emptor thing applies in this situation. If you were buying the engine while your boat was somewhere in Indonesia, you could be assured of buying the right thing and if it was being installed by someone other than you, the work would be well done and inexpensive.
Old 13-02-2020, 19:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
The caveat emptor thing applies in this situation. If you were buying the engine while your boat was somewhere in Indonesia, you could be assured of buying the right thing and if it was being installed by someone other than you, the work would be well done and inexpensive.
I'd agree that if you are there, on the ground, there will be someone, somewhere who can repair your broken widget and people will be very helpful in directing you where to find them and get the job done. And it will likely cost you a pittance.

Also, Indonesia protects its 150 million workers through high tariffs. Imported parts are expensive but with that many people making things, if the widget cant be repaired, it's likely you will find a locally manufactured part at a fraction of back home prices.

Being there is totally different to finding a bargain online.

Cheers
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 22:55   #6

Actually, the prices of their engines are close to the dealer price before mark up if thats US dollars on the website. Like the previous posts I also spend a bit of time in Indonesia and am pretty wary of deals like this , however, I bought a new Cummins NT 855 in Penang (Butterworth) for RM60,000 with an option to buy a factory rebuilt one for Rm40,000
At current dollar rates thats USD 14,500 for a new 350 hp industrial engine.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 01:24   #7

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post

Being there is totally different to finding a bargain online.

Cheers
Thanks. I absolutely agree and would not buy anything as complicated or expensive as an engine online. As you suggest, seeing the thing and ensuring that what you saw is what you get is very important. I would want to do this Canada or wherever I might be. And in a place like Indonesia, the potential for misunderstanding is high.
Marathon1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Re: **Is This Business In Indonesia Legit?**

This is NOT a legitimate business. They offer engines from almost every manufacturer at prices that are below distributor cost. If you actually read their delivery terms, they claim to ship out your engine within 24 hours by next day UPS which, I am sure, will be a big surprise to the UPS driver.

I do know that Beta Marine has tried to get them to cease and desist as far as the Beta engines on their site but has not had a response.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:50   #9

Re: **Is This Business In Indonesia Legit?**

Wow.. Beta is aware of this site?.. Wow..

Again. Thank you CF members

Tags
Indonesia