Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 03:10   #16

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: My first boat 27' Catalina?

I have owned TWO Catalina 27's, one outboard and one inboard.

If those pictures are recent I would buy that boat tomorrow and wouldn't think twice about it. It looks great.

The outboard is definitely better. Both my boats were the standard keel at 4'3" so I'm sure the shoal keel will give up a little pointing ability but with the outboard pulled up you will still love the performance.

Walk the deck carefully, look at the chainplates, but judging by the pictures I bet its all in good shape. The keel looked great in the picture.

Again, me personally, I would not hesitate. I'd buy and go sailing.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 09:36   #17

Looks like a great first boat!

I agree with everyone else - check the deck, if she's out of the water look for blisters on the hull and rusting bolts, screws, and hardware in the standing rigging. Check the condition of all of the lines for fraying.

The draft is awesome. Our 28' Newport drafts 5'2" and most of the time isn't a problem but 3'5" is pretty awesome. My only concern would be does this shorter draft give her less ability to point closer to the wind but honestly I don't think I'd let it stop me from thinking about buying her.

You can make your own wind scoop or just go buy a Davis. That's what I have and it works great.

If you wind up being serious about her, you might want to ask if an anchor is included. You really do want to practice and learn how to drop and retrieve the anchor.

Personally, I don't think the alcohol stove is a problem. I've made coffee, heated soup, and cooked on ours and it does the job just fine. No it doesn't get as hot as alternative fuels like propane BUT an alcohol stove is pretty safe. You don't have to worry about fume accumulation like other fuels.

Honestly, I don't know if I would hire a surveyor for a boat costing < $5,000. I would probably go look at it, check it out, and if I'm serious arrange to have the owner take me out for a sea trial. If the motor runs reliably and she looks good and sails well. I might pass and save my money for other things you might want/need. Our survey fees were $420. The other thing to know is a surveyor will not thoroughly check out the standing rigging. If you want that, you will need a rigger. At least that's my experience.
razermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:40   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

You’ll probably need a survey anyway for the insurance so you might as well combine them.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 05:19   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
You’ll probably need a survey anyway for the insurance so you might as well combine them.
Most folks just pay cash for a boat that price and then buy liability only insurance for about $10.00/month.

No survey needed (for the insurance anyway)

Whether or not to get a survey for peace of mind is up to the OP

I did notice a big hole in the stern though...….
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 06:56   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cathalina

The Catalina 27 is same design as the Jaguar 27. I understood the design was the worlds best selling yacht. I used to own one in another life. Not sure about the 270 but presume it’s an updated version of the 27? The Catalina has an active users association albeit manly US based.
Ullorona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, catalina