Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 11:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Sailing through a large wake

Coming home up the shipping channel in Galveston Bay over the 4th of July weekend we came upon a large freighter travelling towards us and I could see his wake from a mile away. In a monohull I would point in to it and burst through it. It would be felt but for the most part the bow would split it and it was over. I did the same with our Lagoon 42 and it was quite a bump. The bows popped right up and slammed right down. I had plenty of time to notify the crew to expect some turbulence but even I didn't expect that much of a jolt. all is fine, just a loud noise. but it got me thinking if I could approach it better. I thought about running outside the channel before the ship got to us to let the wake weaken, but I was in an area where there is a lot of mess outside the channel so I decided to just keep going. I wouldn't want to take that wake in a monohull on the beam and figured I wouldn't want to do that in a catamaran either. But maybe I should? Or split the difference at 45 degrees?

looking to learn. thanks!
introverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:21   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Sailing through a large wake

How the boat will feel going through will depend not just on the size of the wake, but its steepness. It may be more comfortable to take it a bit of an angle so both hulls don't hit at the same time. And if it's a very steep wake and a fairly light cat, it might be more comfortable to slow the boat down a bit before you hit the wake.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:28   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

I have a pontoon boat and in that I prefer slightly less than 90 degrees. On my sailboat I go closer to 45 and try to slide on the wave more. hull shape makes a difference to your strategy.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:30   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
And if it's a very steep wake and a fairly light cat, it might be more comfortable to slow the boat down a bit before you hit the wake.
it was already light wind and by the time the freighter got to us, it had stolen most of what there was. I'd say we were going no more than 3 knots. I'll see about bearing off a little from the wake next time to make it more comfortable.
introverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:37   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

You go slowly and at 45 degrees.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:49   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Unless in your dinghy, then you go full power perpendicular to it and enjoy the air time.

Dealt with a ****ton of wake on my small cat. Generally just slowing down works, the angles don't make much difference. Either way your being thrown around if the wake is large and steep enough, which it inevitably is.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If can be nearly parallel to the wake you can take the wave one hull at a time. Works in our dinghy to avoid slapping and vaulting the wall of water. Distance is another way. In our monohull we do not deviate for ship wakes. Most well designed big ships leave surprisingly small wakes.

Heavily loaded ore carrier at ten knots. We were both RAM so passing pretty close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7EFF243D-7C42-468E-999F-04DFA884333D.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	219019  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:19   #8

Boat: GB Heritage 52

The flatter the underside of the boat, the bigger the bang. Cat's will typically be flatter. I find 35-45 degree angle works, but depending on the angle and choppiness of the sea state, I might pay off to a greater angle as I pass the apex of the wake. The slam head-on brings all kind of other issues aside from scaring the crew.

It's good to practice for when you find yourself in blue water and the big waves are coming every 20 seconds. I was crossing the Drake Channel in the BVI's on a 40' Moorings Cat a few years ago and underestimated the winds/waves and so managing the angle became critical to a fast crossing. If taken head on, the Cat would slam and then stop almost dead in the water until boat speed was regained making it all the more uncomfortable for the passengers. Our friends, on a sister Cat and experiencing the same passage, managed to send their microwave across the cabin like it had been tossed by a linebacker.
Ranger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

A "wake" typically consists of more than an individual wave. I will typically approach at a shallow angle, and right before meeting the first wave, turn hard into it. We will be getting close to perpendicular by the time we exit the last waves. The act of turning through the waves makes the period between crests change which limits the "pendulum effect" that really slams things around.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:31   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I have some preferences.

1) If the wave is big, I try to show my stern to it (then there is less apparent speed).

2) If the wave is too close and big, I SLOW DOWN and avoid taking it at the right angle.

3) If I am forced to take it head on (see 2 above) I always run forward and close that foredeck hatch ...

I noticed some angle maybe about 20 degrees off the square helps limit the unpleasant results.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:37   #11

On my present and past catamarans I take large wakes on a diagonal.
Think the longest distance across a rectangle from corner to corner.

The catamaran being the rectangle, lead into the wake/wave with the bows of one hull, it will begin to rise, then the second bow hits its buoyancy point and the wake wave exits the same lifting the transoms in order.
This is the softest way to pass over large wakes on a catamaran.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:43   #12

I don’t like a wet deck and stuff flying , so I slow down and bear off
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:50   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Spending many years in the Israeli waters I have a ling experience with crossing steep & short waves. Also crossong wakes of various dailing vessels. I do remembers particular instance in Greece, crossing a wake if an 'armada' of Greek nave vessels. We crossed the wake may be 10 minutes after the vessels crossing and was still on the order if 7 feets high.
So, to the point:
Slow down (but keep steering speed, do not stop), it serves two purposes. Give the wake time to clam down and not slam into the wake wall.
Cross at about 30 deg to the wake.
On top of the wave/wake steer slightly off.
Avoid head on or beam to.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:01   #14

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Rounding the Friars in Cabo San Lucas we were passed by a large tour cat and the wake took us on the beam. We were shaken so violently that I was worried about losing the rig. Since then I try my best to take wakes at an angle.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 17:40   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You go slowly and at 45 degrees.
What he said!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags