Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 19:24   #1

Martinique to Antigua

Sailing from Martinique to Antigua. If anyone has any good tips for northern Martinique-Dominica-Guadeloupe-Antigua I would greatly appreciate them. Good anchor spots, good snorkeling spots, not-to-miss places...

Is it worth it to go to Monserrat for a day? Do I need any special permission (I have US passport)?
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:43   #2

Boat: None, Currently (though looking)
Re: Martinique to Antigua

2 years ago we cruised from BVIs down to Guadeloupe. We stopped for a day at Montserrat as we wanted to tour the island and especially the volcano - it was unique and we’re very glad we did it. We hired a guide for the day to provide a guided tour in his car - can’t recall his name but well worth it.
Breck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 04:11   #3

Boat: Island Packet 370

St Pierre on Martinique is a great stop. Lots of old history from Mt Pele volcano. Anchored in Portsmouth on Dominica. Rent a car and tour the island. Red Rocks, Trafalgar Falls were 2 if a number of interesting stops. Diving was very nice at Jacques Cousteau marine park in Guadeloupe. Also hiked to the top of the volcano. A bit of a grind but the views were exceptional.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 05:43   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'd avoid staying in Roseau and go straight to Portsmouth. The anchorage is pretty well protected and the PAYS organization has a security patrol so the anchorage is also quite safe. I'd recommend an earl morning Indian River tour and if you have time it is worth renting a car and visiting the waterfalls and national parks. I like hiking, and the whole island is a wanderers paradise.
From there it is a short sail to the Iles des Saintes, part of Gaudeloupe. This is a special place and worth staying a couple of days. They used to have a morning delivery of baguettes, croissants and other fresh bakery items directly to the boat, but that was discontinued recently.
From the Saintes you head north along Guadeloupe to the anchorage in Deshaies, where you can clear out. The anchorage doesn't have great holding and with my boat's deep draft I have to anchor way out in 40 feet or more; but if you can get in closer that will work. Often the anchorage is backwinded in the late afternoon until close to sunset, when the wind changes and it is interesting to watch as boats rotate and sometimes come into contact.
From Deshaies it is a straight shot to English/Falmouth in Antigua. I avoid English harbor as it is crowded and the holding is only a thin layer of sand over rock, but Falmouth is better holding and very protected as well. And it is just a short walk from the dock at Falmouth to the C&I office in English Harbour.
Old 13-02-2020, 10:41   #5

Thank you all for the replies. I already finished my trip, just got back. Didn't have time for Monserrat, but other islands were great
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Martinique