Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 09:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
Croatia Cruising Guide

Hello, does anyone have a recommendation for a cruising guide for Croatia? I'll be chartering there this next Summer out of Split.

Also, if you have any favorite anchorages in the area. Which leads me to another question in case you know . . . how are the currents around the islands off of Split?
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 08:06   #2

Re: Croatia Cruising Guide

Very little in the way of currents. There are pilot guides with anchorages and ports etc but not really a cruising guide akin to the Doyles guides for the Caribbean. Lots of blogs and articles online though.

No real currents (nor tides) of note to speak of but beware the winds that can come from nowhere, aka the Bora.

Happy to suggest some anchorages/harbours etc if you share what kind of boat/crew ages and interests/vibe/duration of trip. We've chartered 8 times in Croatia, mostly Split area, and just bought and berthed our first boat there

If you're going for a week you really have the option of North toward Sibenik and the Krka falls/Skradin; East to do Brac, Hvar etc or South/East and Vis or some combo of those.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:26   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

Hey BellaSailor, thanks very much! Sounds like you enjoy the area!

We've chartered catamarans in Mexico and the Bahamas, where the anchoring has been pretty easy. We sail in San Francisco, where it isn't, which is why I ask about the currents.

We're a family of four with teenagers who all like to sail and will be on a catamaran out of Split in late June for a week. We prefer to anchor out and not be in harbors or docks. I realize there are some interesting towns - but we'll have time outside our sailing time to explore the Spit area more.

I realize we'll be there at a busy time, so we'd be looking for anchorages where we can hang out and swim and not do too much. Sometimes we find a great anchorage and stay an extra night vs. always being on the move. That being said, we'd like to go into the trip with some sense of the possibilities.

We like the idea of picking up a mooring, but have found mooring fields to often be a bit tight, so we have tended to anchor out.

If there are towns we can visit for the day and then anchor out, that would be cool too.

Appreciate any suggestions!
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 13:28   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Howdy! I'm also chartering Croatia next September. I'm Keen on destination suggestions as well. Picking up in Split and saying two weeks one way to Dubrovnik.

Thanks!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 13:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Howdy! I'm also chartering Croatia next September. I'm Keen on destination suggestions as well. Picking up in Split and saying two weeks one way to Dubrovnik.

Thanks!
Takes about two weeks to cruise split .....Dubrovnik

Split ...Zadar is a very good two week cruise

North of split ...The area around the Kornati islands is best

South of split ...split , Dubrovnik ...the daily distances become greater , open water

Prevailing winds are northerly ...be careful with the bora

DHMZ weather forecast Link

https://meteo.hr/prognoze_e.php?sect...i&el=sr_jadran
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 11:07   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 50

I, like many, have used Imray's Adriatic Pilot.

https://www.imray.com/publications/I...ranean/IB0240/
https://www.amazon.com/Adriatic-Pilo.../dp/1846236908

For high-level planning of your trip i would recommend JimB Sail:
Sailing the Dalmatian Coast, Southern Croatia | JimB Sail

I particularly liked Krka falls/Skradin, the lake in Miljet and the blue cave in Vis.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFer View Post
Hey BellaSailor, thanks very much! Sounds like you enjoy the area!

We've chartered catamarans in Mexico and the Bahamas, where the anchoring has been pretty easy. We sail in San Francisco, where it isn't, which is why I ask about the currents.

We're a family of four with teenagers who all like to sail and will be on a catamaran out of Split in late June for a week. We prefer to anchor out and not be in harbors or docks. I realize there are some interesting towns - but we'll have time outside our sailing time to explore the Spit area more.

I realize we'll be there at a busy time, so we'd be looking for anchorages where we can hang out and swim and not do too much. Sometimes we find a great anchorage and stay an extra night vs. always being on the move. That being said, we'd like to go into the trip with some sense of the possibilities.

We like the idea of picking up a mooring, but have found mooring fields to often be a bit tight, so we have tended to anchor out.

If there are towns we can visit for the day and then anchor out, that would be cool too.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Whoops Christmas got in the way and now back to work! I will come back to you with some of our personal favourites on places to visit and anchor!
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:44   #8

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

I have found this yearly revised booklet to be the most practical and best guide: https://888haefen.de/x/2020.html

Unfortunately it's only available in German AFAIK. :-)

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36   #9

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

Hi! I am a former liveaboard, full-time cruiser... shore-based in Europe for a while, saving up for a new boat and more adventures.

We stayed on Palmizana Island, near Hvar last summer. Great restaurants, fun night life... and a VERY popular spot with sail and power boats.

There is a marina on the NE side of the island, but lots of small coves. If you look up Vinogradišće... that cove has restaurants, etc. Restaurant at the Menenghello Resort is VERY reasonably priced, and food (and family) is great!

Its a small island, with hiking trails, ancient ruins, and lots of uninhabited coves. No roads, the only way to go from one side of the island to the other is on the hiking trails...or by boat! Really interesting history.

Hope this helps! Enjoy Croatia!
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:55   #10

Boat: Ovni, 395, 12.7m

The book "777 HARBOURS & ANCHORAGES PILOT BOOK - EASTERN ADRIATIC" available from at least one online bookstore has proven very helpful for us the few times we have visited Croatia.

It's normally supplied with charter yachts, but we always bring out own.
The "ADRIATIC PILOT" from Imray is also very good, I have not seen the updated one, but the former was good.

Have fun,
Ole
olewsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:17   #11

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

I have heard it can be very expensive to moor or even anchor in bays. Is this true or a myth ?.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:32   #12

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Whether or not it is expensive to anchor in a bay is very subjective, but what is certain is that the practice of charging boats to anchor in a bay is very uncommon in most of the world but is done in Croatia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneau Owner View Post
I have heard it can be very expensive to moor or even anchor in bays. Is this true or a myth ?.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:35   #13

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneau Owner View Post
You can be charged up to €50 for a mooring buoy for 49 ft monohull is many bays. If there are buoys then you cannot anchor in the field. Expensive when there are only 2 on board. Not expensive for a charter boat with 8 on board.

Concessions now have to be government approved. Some restaurants don't charge if you eat in their place

This site has lots of info
Anchorages in Croatia: The Anchorages Map

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:27   #14

Boat: Ovni, 395, 12.7m

You can get charged this much for a mooring buoy, most of the times a lot less. From 150-200 Kuna (divide by approx. 10 to get to Euro) is common, but it could be more in popular spots.

Marinas ca be expensive, the ACI marinas are look posh and prices are higher. Mostly you get what you pay for, this is a well organised country.

There as always places to drop you anchor, but with reasonable distance to the buoy field. Tourism is a major income for Croatia, expect to pay for service. It is an excellent country to visit.

Have fun,
Ole
olewsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 09:28   #15

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
the amazon link above shows a listing for a $923 used book (correct title). but guessing that might not be the recommended purchase.

searching amazon for "adriatic pilot" returns a couple alternate options with same title and authors, but at $11 and $80.

which is the correct purchase for a proper guide to study and use on board while cruising? TIA!
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, cruising