Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 16:00   #1

Boat: In the market for the time being!
Question Fumigation - Galapagos and Panama

My question which recently came up while reading about Galapagos island experiences is concerning the "Fumigation Certification." Does anyone know what exactly is being used? We are considering going there in the first 1 - 2 years of our trip with a 1 - 2 year old and our 6, 7 year old.

As an adult, whatever this is probably wouldn't concern me much. But having a kid who's putting everything in their mouth concerns me. I read on another forum: "the emphasis is on the certification, not the fumigation" not exactly sure what that means. I saw on youtube another boat in the Galapagos getting fumigated involuntarily days after arrival. Not sure if they were there undocumented without a certificate or what that was all about.

Does anyone know what is used / what product is being sprayed generally or what the main chemical makeup is? Is this your typical permethrins makeup used in sprays here in the US common with Mosquito "fogging"? Also, what countries besides the Galapagos require this? Mexico? Panama? Costa Rica? Thanks for any info! As always, while we plan this kind of stuff my first concern is the long term health of my kids. Thanks!
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 16:26   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Fumigation - Galapagos and Panama

When we went left Panama a few years ago you would get your nicely color printed Fumigation Certificate for about $25 from the same taxi drivers who rent Canal transit lines. It is probably safe for your daughter as long as you don't bring her in the dinghy with you when you pick the certificate up at the dock��
Old 23-08-2017, 16:51   #3

Boat: In the market for the time being!
Re: Fumigation - Galapagos and Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
When we went left Panama a few years ago you would get your nicely color printed Fumigation Certificate for about $25 from the same taxi drivers who rent Canal transit lines. It is probably safe for your daughter as long as you don't bring her in the dinghy with you when you pick the certificate up at the dock��

Heck i didn't even know my kid was going to be a "daughter". She isn't born yet. My avatar is of my 4 year old on the Catalina in Yaquina bay.
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Galapagos, Panama