Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2020, 18:10   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Cheap, liveaboard- and work-friendly marina in Annapolis

I'm a college student and owner of a 30 foot monohull in need of a place to keep it in Annapolis from July through November until I head south. Needs to be live aboard-friendly and also work-friendly (I need to sand and paint my decks, and probably a few other somewhat obnoxious tasks). However, I'm also definitely on a budget, so no need for fancy outdoor spaces or pools or whatever, though laundry and wifi would be nice. I'd love to be walkable to downtown if possible, so anywhere in Eastport would be ideal over the areas on the other side of Back Creek or elsewhere, but may not be possible. Please let me know if you've got any recommendations, even if they don't fit all those criteria (I know I'm looking for a bit of a rarity)
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 19:28   #2

Re: Cheap, liveaboard- and work-friendly marina in Annapolis

Hi,

You might check out Holiday Hill Marina in Edgewater, MD. Not sure there is wifi, and it is definitely not walkable to Annapolis, but I think it has the rest of what you need.
WatchingWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:51   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Look on ActiveCaptain for basic data, then make some calls.

-Chris
Old 01-07-2020, 05:06   #4

You aren't going to find that in Annapolis. If you look at Pasadena or south you'll have much better luck, but you'll probably need to go 30 min commute distance away and you'll really want a car because mass transit isn't great. Annapolis is still cheap compared to NYC or San Francisco, but unfortunately rather expensive for someone in your shoes. Which is a shame because the average age around the docks trends pretty high around here and we could use to have a motivated, hard working guy like you around and you could benefit from the experienced folks as well.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

All helpful— does anyone have any personal experience with Eastport Yacht Center? I'm under the impression that they're work-friendly, but does anyone know for sure?
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47   #6

Cheap and Annapolis do not go together. Look elsewhere. Also note you will make a lot of enemies if your sanding and painting carry over to the boats downwind of you.
Castle Harbor Marina on Kent Island where I am is much cheaper than Annapolis. They can probably find you a slip for under $3K.
If you are gone before winter anchoring out is also doable.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:56   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

Try 222 Severn. They own slips next to Chart House that are reasonable by Annapolis standards, or Watergate apartments in Eastport. They have a marina.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:56   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingWaves View Post
Hi,

You might check out Holiday Hill Marina in Edgewater, MD. Not sure there is wifi, and it is definitely not walkable to Annapolis, but I think it has the rest of what you need.

LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:57   #9

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Look at Liberty Marina in Edgewater. Not walkable to Annapolis by a long shot but when we were there (2006 thru 2010) prices were much more reasonable than anywhere in Annapolis or Eastport and are live-aboard friendly. Unless things have changed, they were also friendly regarding doing your own boat work as long as you respect your boat neighbors. If you're generating a lot of dust, be prepared (and offer) to wash boats around you as needed. That will go a long way toward keeping the complaints down.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:59   #10

Boat: Island Pscket 31

Try Oak Harbor in Pasadena, MD
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:38   #11

Boat: Island Packet 420

You should take a look over at Severn House in Annapolis. Those are condos, many with deeded slips and oftentimes owners will rent them out. You are just across the creek from Bert Jabins. There are often notices posted on a board by the swimming pool. They would probably be the most reasonable slips that close to town. A second thought is Mill Creek Marina- up Mill Creek. Not so close to town, but also a cheaper marina.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:59   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
All helpful— does anyone have any personal experience with Eastport Yacht Center? I'm under the impression that they're work-friendly, but does anyone know for sure?

We've stayed there as transients, nice place. Convenient to downtown, of course. Dunno about working on your boat, though...

I bet they'd answer the phone if you called to ask...

Are you at St. John's College?

-Chris
Old 01-07-2020, 10:49   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Don't know if Annapolis is a must-have, but I just got an email from Shipwright Harbor in Deale, MD saying "For a limited time, we are offering 32' slips annually for only $2500." Pretty good for the whole season...

This is 18.7 miles by road from Annapolis. Nice marina and Herrington Harbor North is next door. They are definitely live-aboard friendly. You can reach them at 410-867-7686 or info@swhmarina.com if you want to find out about them being work-friendly.
IAmGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 20:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Try 222 Severn. They own slips next to Chart House that are reasonable by Annapolis standards, or Watergate apartments in Eastport. They have a marina.
My office is on the other side of the Chart House. Great location but no way in hades you're gonna get away with sanding the outside of you boat there or anywhere in Eastport. Same with the deeded condo slips mentioned by another poster.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 20:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
My office is on the other side of the Chart House. Great location but no way in hades you're gonna get away with sanding the outside of you boat there or anywhere in Eastport. Same with the deeded condo slips mentioned by another poster.
Yah ...Annapolis became unusable years ago

Arnold Gay ,Petrini, Trumpys , Sadlers. ....all gone and replaced with blow ins

Sad
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, cheap, liveaboard, work