Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 12:28   #1

Liveaboard Hudson Valley

Hi,

I'm expecting a job offer on monday for a job north of Poughkeepsie in Rhinebeck. I would love to buy a boat and move there. However, I'm not sure that you can live in the Hudson in the winter. I see that you can live there until November.

Does anyone have any tips for living aboard in the winter in the Hudson Valley?Just a girl tryna live her dream.

Best,
Millionwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 16:55   #2

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Liveaboard Hudson Valley

Don’t know that area, but northern rivers often get ice swept which eliminates living aboard. Getting frozen in occasionaly is not necessarily a problem, being crushed in a river of ice is a different matter. Poke around some marinas and see what they say. I wintered aboard several winters in a New England harbor and loved it.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 17:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Don’t know that area, but northern rivers often get ice swept which eliminates living aboard. Getting frozen in occasionaly is not necessarily a problem, being crushed in a river of ice is a different matter. Poke around some marinas and see what they say. I wintered aboard several winters in a New England harbor and loved it.

Thank you, I reached out to a couple and got directed closer and closer to Poughkeepsie. I was starting to wonder if it had something to do with regulations as I found it IMPOSSIBLE to find a place willing to let me live aboard. I was wondering if I was asking wrong as in NYC it's like they keep it top secret.
Millionwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 18:13   #4

i am from this area... the biggest problem you'll find is most marinas shut down water and electric in winter... plowing is lax at best in marinas... some have in water winter storage with the use of bubblers or current makers but you will still have the above problems... if you find a marina to stay in now you have to tackle the cold weather live aboard problems, heat, condensation, shoveling the dock, etc... good luck...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:46   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I grew up in Hyde Park and Red Hook.
You can check out Norrie Point but I believe they close entirely each winter.
Across the Hudson is Roundout Basin near Kingston. They bubble the large tour boat Rip Van Winkle there. They may have winter terms.
The Hudson in general is a very active thing, summer or winter. Ice breakers keep shipping open from NYC to Albany and floes can stack 20 ft high.
Good luck.
Thebaysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson, liveaboard