Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 13:23   #1

Sailing movies to stream

Hi all- maybe you're like me and hunkered down while the pandemic goes on outside. Probably like a lot of you out there, I love a good movie with sailing in it. Or, about sailing or cruising. I just discovered a new-to-me one on Amazon Prime, "The Boat." Yes, it's pretty cheesy. And yes, there are many, many issues with accuracy. It's a good one to watch and see how many discrepancies you can find :-) It does appear to actually be filmed on a real Beneteau. Nope, it is not a realistic premise. Nope, it won't be winning any awards. Anyone else have a favorite sailing movie that's currently available via streaming? Thanks!
lambchop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 18:34   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Sailing movies to stream

If you want something different then look at the slow boat cruising in the English canals. Look like that might be an interesting idea.
Old 21-03-2020, 18:57   #3

White Squall, Following Seas, In the Heart of the Sea, Master and Commander, and Wind are among my favorites and I think they are all available on Prime.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 20:35   #4

I really liked Maiden. I just watched it with my wife, she cried at the end.

I also really liked Deep Water
stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 02:54   #5

Another good one is "Red Dot on the Ocean: The Matt Rutherford Story" it's currently free on the free IMDB app/channel that comes with Amazon Prime. It's more like a documentary, and it's a great story - all about sailing. On Amazon Prime, "Sea Gypsies: the Far Side of the World" another documentary type film. One more currently on Amazon Prime, "The Weekend Sailor," a documentary about how a Mexican yacht won the first around the world race.
There's one on Tubi, the free app, is called "Kill Cruise" 1990, cheesy, but quite a bit of sailing. Lots of discrepancies to get annoyed about :-)
lambchop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 03:11   #6

No clue where to stream but I'm sure these can be found online:

Adrift 2018 - story about a girl meeting an experienced sailor guy. when sailing things turn south.

Abandoned 2015 - story about 4 guys on a trimaran flipped upside down drifting at sea

Turning tide 2013 - French movie about a vendee globe sailor sailing around the world

Captain ron 1992 - Comedy about a family inherriting a boat, sailing it with the help of kurt russel as captain ron.

Dead calm 1989 - Movie about a couple sailing on the ocean encountering a dangerous drifter

All is lost 2013 - Movie starring robert redford hitting a submersed shipping container while sailing

Kontiki - movie about a couple of guys building a balsa raft polynesian style and setting to the ocean

Styx 2018 - movie about a female solo sailor from gibraltar encountering a ship full of refugees in distress

enjoy
Nova Zembla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 04:21   #7
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Heaps of sailing stuff on Youtube, too. The story of the '98 Sydney to Hobart. Chasing Bubbles, a documentary about a live life kinda guy who sails around the world. Plenty of sailing channels doing their thing. Heaps of stuff on ocean racing like the vendee, the mini transat etc.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 04:48   #8

Three more that made me want to pack up and leave: Old Man and the Sea Return to Cuba which is about an actual sailor who lives in Key West. He's a storyteller with an entertaining story albeit likely embellished.

Also, Disko which is a 20 minute short film by Patagonia which I have replayed about 10 times.

Finally, Steer with your Heart; a film from the voyage of Swell. Trust me this will motivate you to stay focused.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 05:18   #9

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

My favorite- 180 degrees south. It is not purely a sailing movie but is a heck of a documentary about a guy that travels from California to Patagonia with a chunk of the trip being on a sailboat that ends up having to stop off and Easter island for repairs.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:23   #10

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

I think Chasing Bubbles is on You Tube
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:27   #11

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I saw a good one called Abandoned on either Amazon or Netflix about a capsized trimaran and how the four crew survived for many days.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:44   #12

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

That's a good one. Pretty sure it's based on a true story. Not so sure I buy the whole magical wave in the beginning though. Either way, a good movie.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:52   #13

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Instead of watching a movie for two hours, maybe try reading for a day or more after you're done reading Cruisers Forum...

Neil Barry's Chicken of the Sea is available on Amazon with a big Covid-19 discount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W82QHS2

If you enjoy realistic nautical mystery-adventure stories, you will likely enjoy it.
The plot in a nutshell: Hell-bent on revenge, two men pursue a fleeing family's sailboat around the world; their intent... kill the son.

Beginning as soon as Amazon processes the change, the first book is available in digital form at $2.99 (down from $5.99) and free on KDP Select/Unlimited.

Do not be put off by the whimsical title and cover, the message is clear: nothing is what it seems. And when you are finished with the first book, there are two more to round out the trilogy
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 09:15   #14

Not a movie, but come on its PIRATES !!!
Black Sails - all 4 seasons
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 09:26   #15

Boat: KP 46

Dove

True Story of Robin Graham who set off around the world on a 24' boat in 1965 when he was 16.

I think reading the national Geographic articles and his book convinced me (and many others) to sail around the world.

A bit simplistic and kinda drifts off the book about half way thru but a good story.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, sail, sailing