Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 17:39   #1

Raster Charts not showing

I have just installed OpenCPN (ver 5.0) on my windows 7 laptop. I downloaded all of the ENC charts for Alaska, and all of the RNC charts. When I run the program, I can see the ENC charts, but not the RNC's. For example, if I centre the chart on Ketchikan, I get 13 chart bars across the bottom. 3 blue, 4 greyed out green ones, and 6 green ones. None are RNC's. I have searched and reviewed all other posts with similar issues and I'm still onfused . My "chart groups" folder in settings shows all of the charts. What am I doing wrong? Or am I not supposed to see raster charts for this area? thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 18:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Raster Charts not showing

osprey877...

The blue buttons are RNC's.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 21:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
osprey877...

The blue buttons are RNC's.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I checked my map bars again and you are correct. For some reason I thought I had red that the RNC chart bars are supposed to be red.

In any event, I still have a problem in that the three RNC's that are loading are very large (small??) scale. The largest (smallest?) that is showing is "Dixon Entrance to Cape St. Elias" at a scale of about 1:1,000,000. The chart downloader says I downloaded 55 RNC charts for Alaska, but I can only see the ENC's at any kink of useful scale. Thanks
Old 17-02-2020, 03:26   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Thanks Dave. I checked my map bars again and you are correct. For some reason I thought I had red that the RNC chart bars are supposed to be red.

The chart outlines of RNCs are red, ENC green

Quote:
In any event, I still have a problem in that the three RNC's that are loading are very large (small??) scale. The largest (smallest?) that is showing is "Dixon Entrance to Cape St. Elias" at a scale of about 1:1,000,000. The chart downloader says I downloaded 55 RNC charts for Alaska, but I can only see the ENC's at any kink of useful scale. Thanks
Play with the detail slider for weighing chart presentation for different scales when zooming quilted charts.
The short cut key "D" will bring up the slider if you don't want to enter Options|Display|advanced..
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 11:56   #5

Thanks BCN. When I zoomed right out I could see what the problem was. I thought I had downloaded all of the Alaska state files, but in fact were only the central Alaska charts. Doh!!
When I switched to download by region and downloaded “southeast Alaska”, I got the files I needed and is now working fine. Thanks for the help.

Tags
charts