Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 07:21   #46

Boat: C30 Catalina
Re: Catalina 30 & My first boaters sin...

We'll see after the survey. I learned my lesson buying my 27' without one.
2xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 18:46   #47

Well, I went and done it now!

I listed my Hunter '27 for sale, and already have potential buyers. That original Catalina 30 that I looked at is still for sale, and additionally there's now a second one for sale locally. I'm also looking at a 1986 Irwin citation 32 that's rigged for racing.

I'm nervous but excited at the same time. Hopefully things pan out, but if it doesn't I still have good sail boat to learn with.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 18:54   #48

Good luck TooCoys. I need to get down that way soon and do me some "dock shopping".
Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 20:07   #49

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Well, I went and done it now!

I listed my Hunter '27 for sale, and already have potential buyers. That original Catalina 30 that I looked at is still for sale, and additionally there's now a second one for sale locally. I'm also looking at a 1986 Irwin citation 32 that's rigged for racing.
Catalina 30 or Irwin 32....
What are you looking for? Do you plan on a lot of racing or is a comfortable cruiser more to your liking?
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 20:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Catalina 30 or Irwin 32....
What are you looking for? Do you plan on a lot of racing or is a comfortable cruiser more to your liking?

I'm not planning on racing.

The only thing that I am looking for is creature comforts. I want a nice settee that is comfortable to lounge around on and watch TV while we are anchored.

The biggest thing that I learned about my hunter is that it is NOT comfortable to sit/lounge in. When you sit on the settee's your head is pushed forward by the side of the ceiling where the ports are. You also can sit sideways because there is no where to put your arms. And the seats themselves are really shallow, which also means that they would be uncomfortable to sleep on because my shoulders are about as wide as the seats.

I love my little Hunter, but I've learned that I just don't have the money to gut the salon and make it what I really desire.

(that and I just attended a group mariners weekend, and spent to much time on larger boats and contracted that awful disease "three foot-itis".)
Old 29-05-2017, 21:03   #51

Boat: C30 Catalina

I saw a 30 hunter that was set up to race. And they're to completely different types of boats. I'm not into racing ether and am stoked on the Catalina's comforts. If I want to learn to race I'm going to join the yacht club and get on someone else's boat.
2xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 06:36   #52

Quote:
I'm not planning on racing.

The only thing that I am looking for is creature comforts. I want a nice settee that is comfortable to lounge around on and watch TV while we are anchored.
I don't recall ever being on an Irwin 32, but I'd bet $5 that the C30 will be a much roomier, more comfortable boat than the Irwin.
Old 30-05-2017, 06:49   #53

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Two more great things about the C30 (and why I'd do that over the Irwin):

1. Everybody has one, or has had one. Lots of help available.

2. Parts are readily available. In a bind? Call CatalinaDirect and have the parts shipped 2nd day.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 22:44   #54

Quote:
I don't recall ever being on an Irwin 32, but I'd bet $5 that the C30 will be a much roomier, more comfortable boat than the Irwin.

As far as I can tell, the 32 was introduced in '85 or '86 and only a few were made before Irwin went out of business in '87.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33   #55

Toocoys,
Have you been to look at the Irwin yet? What is your impression about the two boats? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-06-2017, 18:45   #56

Quote:
Toocoys,
Have you been to look at the Irwin yet? What is your impression about the two boats? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've not been yet.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:56   #57

Boat: Catalina, C30 Mk I (1985)

TooCoys,

I can understand your excitement around the C30 as I bought my first boat last year; an 85 C30 Std Rig (Hull# 4085).

I'll echo what other C30 owners are saying in this thread ... you'll love this boat.

There may be better and more comfortable boats out there for what you want to do but I haven't come across any yet in the price range you're talking about. I've been on many larger boats and I wouldn't trade mine for them; even many new ones (had a chance to visit many after going to the Annapolis Sailboat Show a few years in a row).

I had only a limited amount of dinghy sailing experience and one short season crewing in club races the previous year on a C&C 33 (which gave me the bug to get a boat of my own to cruise on) before I bought mine last year. It's a very easy boat to learn on and is a very good sailing and coastal cruising vessel.

Mine is equipped with the Universal M-25 and I'm grateful that my model has that particular engine (since the earlier models started out with much lower HP engines). This same motor was successfully used by Catalina to power their C-34 and C-36s as well (e.g. see www.catalina36.org/forum/technical-discussion/m25m25xp-differences) so this engine gives you some additional margin on a C-30 when the conditions get a little rougher. With it's basic, standard 2 fixed-blade prop, I'm seeing around 6 knots at 2300 rpm +- (depending on the wind and chop). I usually motor just under that at around 2000 to 2100 rpm which is a sweet spot and still manage around 5.75 knots pushing 6 often. I've also had her with a pretty stiff breeze right on the nose (20-25knts with gusts in the high 30s) pushing through some 6-9 foot rollers at the top of Lake Huron for a few hours last year and we were holding around 3.5 knots in that.

There could be a bit more room in the engine compartment to do routine maintenance (the C-34s are roomier for this) but it's manageable and these engines have a reputation for reliability if well maintained and routine maintenance is relatively straightforward on these.

On the topic of a slightly larger boat ... it depends what you're after. We have a few C-34s in our marina as well as a C350. The 34s are a nice boat but the models I've been in don't offer me the same headroom as I have in my C30 Mk I (I'm just under 6'4 and a pretty large frame). The 350 is gorgeous, like an upscale bigger version of the C30, but ... a used one is also around 4 to 6x the price of a C30. You'll find many to praise the virtues of one model or the other.
The C-34s have a very loyal and well deserved following. Stu (Jackson) is very knowledgeable and helpful and along with his C-34 Association colleagues, runs a terrific site dedicated to the C-34s (the C-30s and 34s share many common elements; I've often found helpful information or advice for my C-30 on his site) but again ... costs rise as you go up in size.

Mine has been a freshwater boat since it was first launched (to the best of my knowledge). It was in excellent condition and had clearly been lovingly maintained by its previous owners (I'm still in contact with the previous 2 owners and the care and upgrades made by the original owner are still evident to this day in the boat).

The 'listing' price on a boat is only a rough starting point. The condition of the boat you're looking at, how it's outfitted and the condition of the various toys and systems on board are quite important in determining its real value to you. Mine came quite well equipped (e.g. two good quality 100W solar panels, nice bimini and dodger, great fridge/freezer, new head, very smart contemporary styling inside, cockpit cushions, etc.). The previous owner was asking a fair price, higher than what you're quoting, and we settled not far from his asking price. I knew after looking at the boat and test sailing her that it wasn't going to stick around very long before someone snapped it up. I was very lucky to stumble across it shortly after she listed.

I've seen several C-30s at half the price I paid, and I haven't regretted for a minute the purchase I made. Equipping or upgrading these other C-30s to the same level would easily have cost me more than what I paid for mine (substantially more in fact) and there are probably things I wouldn't have done myself like upgrading all of the interior upholstery to get the look mine has. The other aspect to consider is that although working on my boat is fun (for me anyhow ... being still relatively new at this), it would have been quite a bit of work to bring these other lower priced boats up to the level I was fortunate to find mine in.

So ... there are lots of C-30s on the market and will continue to be but don't hold back too long if you've found a really nice one which surveys well. You could easily find yourself having to look for another few years, spending a ton of time and money checking out dozens of boats, meanwhile not sailing the one you could have had, before you come across another 'gem' or ending up buying a less expensive one and then having to, or opting to, put a bunch of time and money into it to bring it up to the same standard as the 'gem' you let sail away. This is anecdotal of course but it took a colleague of mine, who's been running a chandlery for years, ie knows the business and has lots of contacts, a few years and travelling all over Canada and the US before he found the C-30 he was looking for.

Weigh your carrying costs and what you're risking if you buy the 'gem' when it presents itself. If as you say, you got yours for a good price, even losing a few thousand on your current one to ultimately get it off your hands (if in fact you lose anything) will be quickly made up in not having (or feeling an urge) to upgrade your 'new' boat (as much or as soon ... .

There are numerous advantages to owning a boat as popular as a C-30, which includes the ability to re-sell it, a lot of new and used parts available for that particular model and a lot of experience to draw on as an owner.

I solo a lot on mine and managed to sail her about 2000nm last summer. I've only got great things to say about well cared for C-30s of the vintage you're looking at.

Good luck and keep enjoying the process as you have been.
Hope_I_Float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 16:21   #58

Quote:
Toocoys,
I went to see the Irwin the other day, and we actually took it out to sail. It is very fast boat. We consistently sailed at about 6 knots with very light winds, and a dirty bottom. I was very impressed with its speed.

It's a very very nicely laid out boat. Very beamy, the interior is very comfortable, and I like the full quarter berth under the cockpit. It was very comfortable boat. The only thing that I did NOT like about it was the companion way. It was a bit too shallow and you kind of had to bend backward/forward to enter, otherwise you'd bang your head.

That being said, the Catalina 30 was still WAY more roomy than the Irwin, but the Irwin felt like it was sturdier and better built.
Old 09-06-2017, 17:07   #59

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Not sure. I thought about it, but I also got such a good deal on my Hunter that I'd hate to get myself in deeper. I paid cash for my Hunter and own it outright with title. I basically bought the yanmar engine and got the hull free. If I decide to jump now, I'd have to end up with a note for a few years.
Your not real boat owner til you've got an "extra" boat waiting to sell. Or two or three...
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 17:13   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Your not real boat owner til you've got an "extra" boat waiting to sell. Or two or three...
Well I've got a 1981 Hunter 27' Cherubini in a slip, and a 2002 Chaparral 18.5' on a trailer in dry storage... does that count?

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, boat