Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 14:07   #1

Lord Nelson 41, Valiant 40/42, tayana 37...

Hello everyone from cold rainy Toronto,
I joined a while back and since I was not actively looking for a boat, I only read the forums.
this situation has suddenly changed and I find myself contemplating a long holiday. Hopping on a boat and sailing into the sunset can now be a reality, once more.
About ten years ago, I wanted to have fun on warm waters where it never snows, and bought myself a Hunter 54 (with no other experience than a private pilot's licence). I spent a few following winters in the Lauderdale area and had a blast learning to sail. I got bored after a few years and sold the boat.
It appears the symptoms of boatitis are recurring with a vengeance to the point I spend days searching boats and yachts sales, and I am now wisely looking at more traditional cruisers, in particular, a Lord Nelson 41 here in Toronto, Valiants 40/42s and Tayana 37s.
The overall aesthetics of these designs have captured my attention, especially the cutter rig. unfortunately, other than the fact that the solid teak in the Lord Nelson and tayanas looks "real good", I know absolutely nothing about these crafts. An education on such issues as comfort, cruising performance, speed, pointing to weather, would be very appreciated.
Thank you all.

johnpair
johnpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:23   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Johnpair,
Welcome. I only reply, other than to welcome you, to agree that boatitis ( I call it boat fever but whatever) does return. I just returned from a local marina looking for a sailboat, but had no success. I am sure that others here will respond to your questions, as there are many knowlegable voices here. Good luck, and try to get some sleep at night.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:40   #3

Ralph Brogdon, thanks for your reply, I look forward to the education.
Old 24-11-2008, 14:41   #4
Eternal Member

Johnpair,

Hello from cold rainy Arlington, VA!

Understand your passion. First, let me say that sailing from Ft. Lauderdale isn't a great experience, unless you make the crossing to the Bahamas and stay there awhile. IMO, sailing in Florida is dull, dull, dull. Unless you have a very small shoal draft boat, not a Hunter 54.

There are major differences among the boats you mentioned. The Lord Nelson's are very well built, well-designed boats, but are no major performers. They sail OK and have lots of room aboard.

The Valiants are a different story. Lots of room aboard, very good sailors, and very seaworthy. Many have circumnavigated and the 40s have even participated and done well in the round-the-world races. I've raced against them, and they move very, very well for fat cruising boats.

I was, in fact, looking for one myself when I bought my present 42' sloop -- also a Perry design -- and couldn't find a non-blister Valiant.

The Tayana 37 is perhaps Bob Perry's best known design, aside from the Valiant 40. Very different boat. Very seaworthy double ender, many have made major voyages, but no where near as fast as the Valiants.

If you're looking at a Valiant 40, consider only those with very low hull numbers or hull numbers above 249; those in-between had very serious blistering problems which are the granddaddy of all blister problems.

All the Valiant 42s are OK, built in Gordonville, TX not by Uniflite in WA. Great boats.

Just curious: how did the private pilot's license qualify you for the Hunter 54? :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 15:12   #5

Boat: Columbia 30 - Dreamtime
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Johnpair,

Just curious: how did the private pilot's license qualify you for the Hunter 54? :-)

Bill
Good comments, Bill. Interesting information on the Valiants, as that is one of the makes in our search list as well.

Until johnpair replies, I suggest a good natured guessing game as to the qualification question. I don't think it would be because the Hunter 54 is so fast it "planed." My guess is that on a long cruise, like a private flight, you spend a lot of time looking at your instruments, wondering where you are.
David Grieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 15:20   #6

Boat: Tashiba 40
You might take a peek at Tashiba 40's. Wink, wink
Old 24-11-2008, 15:24   #7
RTB

Flying and sailing are not that different, and many would be attracted to both. I also have a pilots license. The biggest difference I see is that you can't read the name of the town on the water tower when unsure of your position :-)
Old 24-11-2008, 17:49   #8

btrayfors,

No qualifications really, airplane are wind machines, just like sailboats. Meteorology, navigation, communication are skills which MUST be mastered before you go up alone. The Hunter 54 was just a fluke, and it was in Pompano beach, a friend of mine was interested in it but when it was time to talk money, he ran for the tall grass, so I bought it. To be honest, I didn't know where to put the key to start the engine when the broker who sold it to me came (thanks God) with me to take it to Fort Lauderdale.
Old 24-11-2008, 18:12   #9
Eternal Member

johnpair,

Hey, I was just pulling your chain a bit :-)

Actually, there are lots of things which are more-or-less transferable between sailing and flying. And, many sailors have an interest in flying and vice versa. Many of my sailing students in Sausalito were airline pilots (and, happily, stews....er...cabin attendants as they're called these days).

Hope you find a suitable boat.

Bill
Old 24-11-2008, 18:31   #10

Ralph Brogdon,

Originally, I wanted to take the boat to a yard on Key Largo where it would go on the hard so I could spend some time and work on it, the boat was dirty and had been neglected for a while. The broker who sold it to me worked for the Moorings at the time and suggested to take it to Bahia Mar instead and since the boat was structurally sound, (he was "parked" a few slips over), he would gladly help me take it out and learn to sail... and, eventually, not without incidents, I did.
Old 24-11-2008, 19:00   #11
RTB

So, something has suddenly changed, and looking for an extended holiday? I hope all is well, and hope to see you on the water someday! I'll be looking forward to your progress in the future.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:26   #12

btrayfors,
Talking about blister, when I first made the offer to buy the Hunter 54, we had to hire a diver to remove the critters that accumulated on the prop from sitting in the canal unattended, then we took it to Lighthouse Point Marina on the ICW in Pompano Beach. When the marina operators lifted it out of the water, the hull looked like a science project. This was expected, the previous owner did admit the boat had a few dime size blister below the water line. We cleaned it up, and we all agreed (the surveyor, my friend the broker and the sea trial captain) that I should put the boat back in the water, and have some fun sailing the Lauderdale area for the winter, from Bahia Mar, where I lived aboard. The Elbo Room in the evening, gone sailing in the daytime, that's a winter I won't forget. Then came summer, the boat went to Lauderdale Yacht Basin (at the time) for a make over, and I drove back to Toronto. The superb blister job was done by Osmocure. Then came winter, the boat went back to Bahia Mar, and I drove back down to Fort Lauderdale... btrayfors, I'm sure you can guess what happens from there.
Old 25-11-2008, 07:39   #13
Eternal Member

You discovered Bimini Boatyard? Or, better, the Bahia Cabana bar?

My favorite :-)

Bill
Old 25-11-2008, 09:29   #14

btrayfors,
I got a bit tired of the Elbo Room, went east on Las Olas and discovered O'Hara's, kind of a jazz bar, no cover charge, and excellent musicians... met a few nice people there.
J.P.
Old 25-11-2008, 14:06   #15

Ralf Brogdon,
As you say flying and sailing are not really that different.
Perhaps I should clarify what I meant "with no other experience than a private pilote's licence". My only experience with meteorology, navigation and communication was in a Cessna 172. When I bought the Hunter 54, I had never even been on a sailboat in my life. I must admit it was a bit overwhelming at first, especially manoeuvering in windy tight quarters, with five million dollar yachts all around, but, I got the hang of it.

J.P.

Tags
lord nelson