Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 18:56   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
60 Lb. Genuine CQR

I'm looking for a 60 Lb. CQR. Must in good nick and be a genuine, drop forged, made in Scotland CQR. I'm on the Chesapeake bay, but I'd drive a reasonable distance.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 19:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: 60 Lb. Genuine CQR

Whatever for? I have a 74# genuine in Traverse City Michigan where we left it after replacing it with something that actually worked. We are now in Trinidad. That CQR failed to set 4 of five times. It was better suited to plow earth behind a mule. I tried to sell it through our marina for a year while we cruised. No takers. Now it keeps the Sunfish from drifting away at our inland lake cottage.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:34   #3

I have a Danforth 60lbs hinged galvanized plow that's never been in the water.
Would sell for $450.
But I'm located in Fl.
h2ome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:30   #4

Boat: Amel 50

I have a non-genuine 60 lbs stainless steel CQR anchor that I can sell you for much less than new. I am in California though... Let me know.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 13:50   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you don't find what you want here on CF, try consignment shops in your area. With the number of folks who are changing from CQR anchors to newer designs, many consignment sellers are choked with the older designs... and the prices should reflect this. Around here (Australia) they can hardly give them away!

Jim
Old 22-08-2018, 05:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I have a 75. CQR. Can deliver to Annapolis next Tuesday. $250
Old 22-08-2018, 06:52   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Probably can find one in a museum or in a yard garden design

sorry couldn't help myself
Old 22-08-2018, 09:58   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

All the snide comments about the CQR are fine. I think some folks search for the term so they can make fun. But there are some boats which just don't lend themselves to a modern anchor. Without some pretty serious mods, nothing but a CQR or a bruce will fit on my bowsprit. A Spade hangs up on the bob-stay. Vulcan is worse. My option is to seriously redesign the anchor platform so that the anchor stows on the end of the sprit, live with an ill-fitting modern anchor, or use an oversized CQR. The CQR has worked fine for me in the past and for many many others. Maybe I should change the spelling so there will be less search hits on CQR. See-Qu-Arrrrrrg. The preferred anchor of pirates everywhere.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 10:02   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
All the snide comments about the CQR are fine. I think some folks search for the term so they can make fun. But there are some boats which just don't lend themselves to a modern anchor. Without some pretty serious mods, nothing but a CQR or a bruce will fit on my bowsprit. A Spade hangs up on the bob-stay. Vulcan is worse. My option is to seriously redesign the anchor platform so that the anchor stows on the end of the sprit, live with an ill-fitting modern anchor, or use an oversized CQR. The CQR has worked fine for me in the past and for many many others. Maybe I should change the spelling so there will be less search hits on CQR. See-Qu-Arrrrrrg. The preferred anchor of pirates everywhere.
Hey Man... my Spade anchor fits on my CR38 bowsprit just fine. Do you have a platform or a sprit? What size are you using? The bigger the spade the better it fits. Ours is a S120 but anything larger than that fits better. Yeah, it occasionally gets stuck up under the bobstay but a quick yank and a twist and its out. We did have a larger roller welded on to replace the one that was standard.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 10:34   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post

Agreed. And while there's reams of evidence that CQR's holding and resetting qualities have been bested by more modern designs, if your CQR is bigger than needed, your chain is right-sized and you are conservative when it comes to scope, backing down and keeping an anchor watch, there's no reason a CQR won't do the job, especially in holding grounds best suited to it. Or, for that matter, if the skipper is entirely used to that style of anchor and is satisfied with it.

I have a genuine made in Scotland CQR at 45 lbs for sale....here in Toronto, alas. We went to a 30 kg. SPADE.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 11:12   #11
CLOD

Funny, people thinking an anchor is good as long as you keep an anchor watch
Old 22-08-2018, 12:33   #12

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

I echo the why, why, whys! Why settle for an inferior version of what is arguably the most important piece of equipment on board? Fine perhaps in the Chesapeake but why limit yourself to that fine place where a brick would probably hold you?

Change the design of your anchor roller and buy a Spade. Or Rocna if you can accomodate the roll bar and be as safe as you could possibly be. Helps the sleeping!

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 12:52   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

All you nay sayers should anchor in Isla Mujeres, MX in 25+ knots and see how well the CQR works. The modern anchors fill up with mud and grass hold about as well a bowling ball sometimes. The last time I was there I dove on 2 CQR's and both were totally buried. My Rocna was just weight on the bottom.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 12:58   #14

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Perhaps I should have added for people still trying to decide, since modern anchors are expensive items, that we have used a Spade around the world and the only times we have dragged we had out insufficient scope. Letting out more chain solved the problem each time.

One other time we dragged was when we had substituted a Fortress 55 in Kuah bay Langkawi, Malaysia. We did this because our dismantled regalvanized Spade, waiting for a reinfusion of lead, was stolen from underneath GAIA and sold as scrap while we were hauled out. Luckily the manager of the yard took responsibility and paid for a new Spade which was supplied to us by the factory for cost. Both the yard, located in Satun Thailand, and the people at Spade where super to deal with.

We anchored numerous times in Kuah bay with the Spade and never dragged it but did drag the Fortress 55 the only time we used it there. We think after 23 years of sailing GAIA, there is not a better anchor out there with the possible exception, based on the many exhaustive tests, the Rocna. Both anchors are probably of equal merit and it seems not prudent to us to use anything else again based on the best tests out there.

We now carry two on our bow, a galvanized and an Aluminum version. The other three anchors in our repertoire have seldom if ever been submerged and we got rid of the Bruce we owned because of its known tendency to not always reset.

Be safe out there.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:12   #15
CLOD

The only time I'm ever drug, it was on a CQR. To be honest we didn't have enough scope out for a CQR and didn't set it well. That's part of why I don't trust compared to my oversize Manson Supreme that always sets quickly and has held in a gale in a tight anchorage with a 3:1 scope.

But, I also believe that any anchor probably works 95% of the time as long as it has been well set. If you don't believe that you haven't been to enough places when that SeaRay power boat shows up and tosses out their little anchor with 10' of chain, but backs up on it hard and which later becomes an all night 3 boat raft up.

Tags
cqr